Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Bulb

Options
  • 22-11-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I purchased an echo dot and I'm looking for a relatively cheap smart bulb to pair with this system. Can anyone recommend a bulb which does not require a hub to operate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

LIFX
    they're on offer for Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

TP-Link could be another alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Thanks, Blacknight.

Any opinion on TP-Link Smart WiFi Light Bulb, E27, 7W. These bulbs provide an adapter to go fro screw to bayonet which could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Don't have any of there bulbs but use a few of there other products and generally find them to be good. I use the Kasa app , same as one used for bulbs, for there smart plugs and find it a good simple to use app.

You could keep an eye out on pricing tomorrow as they are products that regularly get reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Blacknight wrote: »
    LIFX
    they're on offer for Black Friday

Lifx are quite dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Check out innr or Yeelight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    Check out innr or Yeelight

Note, Innr aren't wifi bulbs, they are zigbee and thus require a hub.

you are right, the full size echo has zigbee built in where as the dot requires a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I have Yeelighgs working with Google Home and they work perfectly and fairly reasonable. Not having another hub like the Philips hue is also a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I just picked up a Nedis. Very easy to set up. No hub required. I have a TP link one already, but with the bayonet adaptor, the bulb is very long - too long for one light I really want to make smart. This Nedis is available in bayonet, and is a nice small bulb. The only disadvantage I can see is that it doesn't seem to be possible to schedule it by sunset/sunrise times, just clock times. But it's cheap - I paid €19.95.

• Advertisement

My tp-link smart bulb arrived this morning. just have to wait another two weeks for the Dot to arrive.

So I tried out the TP Link bulb using the kassa app. Within the app you can make adjustments to the colour range of the bulb from a very bright white to a warm white (yellow). The bayonet attachment makes the bulb potentially far too big for use in most lamps. It's a sizeable enough bulb on its own (screw). I'm not sure how the Philips compare in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've 12 bulbs(mix of B22 and E27) to pick up so trying to be savvy and price concious but looking through recommendations on here is there much of a difference in quality from Yeelights, TP Link and Nedis? Fairly new to this so just don't want to make the mistake of buying twice and want something user friendly to pair with Alexa

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

duffman13 wrote: »
    I've 12 bulbs(mix of B22 and E27) to pick up so trying to be savvy and price concious but looking through recommendations on here is there much of a difference in quality from Yeelights, TP Link and Nedis? Fairly new to this so just don't want to make the mistake of buying twice and want something user friendly to pair with Alexa

Honestly, if you are getting lots of bulbs, I think a hub system, in particular Hue is better then wifi bulbs, in terms of ongoing running costs and more importantly reliability.

I think wifi bulbs are fine for just one or two bulbs, just to play around with and add a splash of colour. But I'd want more reliability if going with lots of bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

bk wrote: »
    Honestly, if you are getting lots of bulbs, I think a hub system, in particular Hue is better then wifi bulbs, in terms of ongoing running costs and more importantly reliability.

I think wifi bulbs are fine for just one or two bulbs, just to play around with and add a splash of colour. But I'd want more reliability if going with lots of bulbs.

Cheers for the advice, I was look at the Hue system but price point was putting me off. I might go with a smaller system of maybe 6 and build up then rather than end up in the situation of wanting to replace in 6 months or a years time. I'll just pull the trigger on Hue so

duffman13 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice, I was look at the Hue system but price point was putting me off. I might go with a smaller system of maybe 6 and build up then rather than end up in the situation of wanting to replace in 6 months or a years time. I'll just pull the trigger on Hue so

That is what most of us did. Buy a starter kit in one of the sales (Black Friday, Prime sales, etc.) and then add bulbs over time during sales. You don't need to do it all at once.

Unfortunately for you, last week would have been the ideal time to buy. Maybe worth checking the Cybermonday deals to see if there is anything interesting or waiting until January sales.

Keep an eye out on the Bargain Alerts thread at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

bk wrote: »

I fully agree with this.

One or two standalone wifi bulbs are fine to manage, but anything above that then you're better off having them centrally/hub controlled.

So much easier to manage and troubleshoot.

I fully agree with this.

One or two standalone wifi bulbs are fine to manage, but anything above that then you're better off having them centrally/hub controlled.

So much easier to manage and troubleshoot.

How do you reckon that is? Troubleshooting WiFi ones is very easy. If there off line it’s the switch/router is 1 or 2 is it’s the bulb.

Anyone have any experience with these bulbs?
    https://www.magiclightbulbs.com/

Advertisement