Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Landlord

• 22-11-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a couple of minor issues in my apartment at the moment, both of which have workarounds (Flush handle not working, bucket does :o, main immersion not working but secondary boost function is).

My landlord arranged for plumber to come at a time that doesn't suit me, and is refusing to change it. I have told him any other time would work other than this specific time.

As I feel this is not emergency work am I within my rights to refuse him access at this time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

But why refuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Hard to get a plumber these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

eamonzo wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a couple of minor issues in my apartment at the moment, both of which have workarounds (Flush handle not working, bucket does :o, main immersion not working but secondary boost function is).

My landlord arranged for plumber to come at a time that doesn't suit me, and is refusing to change it. I have told him any other time would work other than this specific time.

As I feel this is not emergency work am I within my rights to refuse him access at this time?

Good man Eamon. Refuse entry wait until you have no hot water want then get back with another thread on how the landlord wont fix it on the time you set.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eamonzo

Askthe EA wrote: »
    But why refuse?

Leaving for a flight around that time and need to use the toilet, shower etc.

Good man Eamon. Refuse entry wait until you have no hot water want then get back with another thread on how the landlord wont fix it on the time you set.

It's been like this for a couple of weeks, no danger of having no hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Get up a bit earlier? Sorry, i dont mean to come across as smart but getting plumbers to do small jobs at the moment is next to impossible.

Id make the appointment work if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Getting a plumber is not the OP's fault.

The OP and the landlord have to agree on a time, is that not right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes that is correct, and until the OP agrees to a suitable time he can wait for a properly flushable toilet and use the expensive boost function.

Yes that is correct, and until the OP agrees to a suitable time he can wait for a properly flushable toilet and use the expensive boost function.

I'm ok with that.

• Advertisement

I'm ok with that.

That's completely up to you -as long as you are being reasonable and not just refusing unless the plumber can come at 4am on the second Tuesday after a full moon.

It is difficult to get tradesmen these days for small jobs so if you can you should facilitate. However, the plumber or landlord cannot enter without your express permission as this is not an emergency.

That's completely up to you -as long as you are being reasonable and not just refusing unless the plumber can come at 4am on the second Tuesday after a full moon.

It is difficult to get tradesmen these days for small jobs so if you can you should facilitate. However, the plumber or landlord cannot enter without your express permission as this is not an emergency.

Thanks, that's all I was trying to establish. I'm literally open to any time other than the specific time he requested, allowing him access without me present. To me he's being very unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

On boards, tenants are not allowed to say no to landlords. Your needs do not matter as you don't own your home, therefore you should just do as the plumber wants and run your life around them. Homeowners obviously are allowed to have lives and schedule plumbers for convenient times, but not you.

In real life however, the landlord or the plumber needs to arrange a mutually convenient time with the tenant to fix the issues they are legally obliged to fix.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

stinkbomb wrote: »
    On boards, tenants are not allowed to say no to landlords. Your needs do not matter as you don't own your home, therefore you should just do as the plumber wants and run your life around them. Homeowners obviously are allowed to have lives and schedule plumbers for convenient times, but not you.

In real life however, the landlord or the plumber needs to arrange a mutually convenient time with the tenant to fix the issues they are legally obliged to fix.

I think thats a bit OTT. In real life the landlord will find it difficult to get a plumber and thats what people are saying. Your anti boards/landlord attitude is wrong in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

In real life people who own their homes will inconvenience themselves to accomodate a plumber. its a seller's market when it comes to plumbing services especially for minor jobs.

OP just be conscious that you may be waiting a while for another appointment, but if you can't accomodate teh time arranged then you can't accomodate it.

On boards, tenants are not allowed to say no to landlords. Your needs do not matter as you don't own your home.

Don't be stupid. The tenant is well covered by law and regulation and this forum has always advocated landlords obey the law.

nothing to worry about so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

Could you not arrange for a friend to meet the plumber at the time the landlord proposed if you cannot make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

As others have indicated I would agree its very hard to get a plumber at the moment. The landlord is most likely indicating the nearest time the plumber is giving him that he can do. If you turn it down and as winter is fast closing in it will only get harder to get a time slot from the plumber. We waited weeks for a slot for someone to come and we said they could come any time and we would be there even at short notice. So if you are going to be a stickler for times you will be put to the bottom of the queue by the plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

350 per month PCP on a car - book car in to have issue fixed at dealer.

"Oh you've to catch a flight on Friday - right no worries - well you can either do it on Tuesday when you return or what time Thursday might suit.

1400 per month for a home

"You will just have to change your flight as our **** systems and the muppets we work with can't fit around the fact you still have to do stuff".

I get the plumber situation but let's get real here - the end product is still woeful service and yet another indicator of how dire the housing model is

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    350 per month PCP on a car - book car in to have issue fixed at dealer.

"Oh you've to catch a flight on Friday - right no worries - well you can either do it on Tuesday when you return or what time Thursday might suit.

1400 per month for a home

"You will just have to change your flight as our **** systems and the muppets we work with can't fit around the fact you still have to do stuff".

I get the plumber situation but let's get real here - the end product is still woeful service and yet another indicator of how dire the housing model is

This is just rubbish talk. Service people dont wait around for times of appointments for anyone. Why would the plumber give a small time landlord extra

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

Where do you people live that plumbers are gods who must be obeyed? In real life, one calls a plumber, they come to your house and do the job, when you need it doing. It really is that simple. You seem to think that a plumber will give one random time and never be seen again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where do you people live that plumbers are gods who must be obeyed? In real life, one calls a plumber, they come to your house and do the job, when you need it doing. It really is that simple. You seem to think that a plumber will give one random time and never be seen again...

I guess you haven't tried getting one for a minor job lately.

Any decent tradesman is flat out these days and it's very difficult to get them to come out to small jobs promptly.

Your shi`tetalking isn't helping the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This is just rubbish talk. Service people dont wait around for times of appointments for anyone. Why would the plumber give a small time landlord extra

Its not the landlords fault.

But it's still poor service caused by a plumber been an ignorant sod.

One could get silly about it but imagine the plumbers desired time colliding with.....

1) a hospital appointment you waited ages for.

2) the job that pays the rent wants you to fly out to Paris to give an important presentation to an important customer. It was planned weeks ago.

3) your wedding day "sorry darling but I'm going to be late because the plumber will only turn up at that time".

One could get silly about it but imagine the plumbers desired time colliding with.....

2) the job that pays the rent wants you to fly out to Paris to give an important presentation to an important customer. It was planned weeks ago.

3) your wedding day "sorry darling but I'm going to be late because the plumber will only turn up at that time".

What, the plumber should cancel another job because the op wants to take a shower?

The plumber hasn't much availability, the op doesn't mind waiting longer. No need for the thread to go past that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Why don’t you ask the lol if you can call plumber directly for a suitable time. I as ll want to be removed from the loop from trying to organize a time. Your just adding an extra layer of complexity. All my tenants do is notify me of issue. I tell them to call plumber and at the same time I tell plumber of expected jobs I’m ok with. This way the tenant has direct control/pestering the tradesman to get him to go out and do the job.

None of the above is true of this case

Advertisement