Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much for feminism in parking

Options
  • 22-11-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a man but I'm looking for the support of women. 2 years ago my wife and I were blessed with a beautiful baby. Its tough work this being our first child but we've made it this far.
    I'm no angel but parking in disabled or mother and baby spaces was something I'd never done before; however, now having a baby we began to park in the parent and child spots and found them very, very convenient. Honestly, I had never bothered observing the people parking in the parent and child spots but once we had our little one but now I was noticing that people with no child use these spaces all the time and even more shocking was that they are mostly women. I was really surprised to see the offenders were mostly women. Maybe I'm oldfashioned but I would have presumed women supported each other especially on matters like this. Its tough and very tough for some women right after childbirth and in my opinion should be supported by society. And again maybe I'm wrong and this is my unique experience, thoughts appreciated :) ?
    ... please excuse spelling or grammatical errors, my little one was up several times last night and I'm like a zombie today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This behaviour is not unique to women, and it has nothing to do with "women not supporting other women" (a term I hate).
    Its bad form but unfortunately some people don't see the importance and necessity of these spaces for people with small babies & their selfishness takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Some of those women might be pregnant. I'd have no objection to pregnant women using those spaces if they found it uncomfortable to walk longer distances (bear in mind that discomfort can often exist early on when the pregnancy might not yet be visible.) Similarly I'd have no issue with a man using the spaces if he were unwell in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some of those women might be pregnant. I'd have no objection to pregnant women using those spaces if they found it uncomfortable to walk longer distances (bear in mind that discomfort can often exist early on when the pregnancy might not yet be visible.) Similarly I'd have no issue with a man using the spaces if he were unwell in any way.

they aren't always located in any nearer. they are wider spaces to allow buggies, room to put kids in car seats etc. beside foot path so kids don't have to run through car parks.

pregnancy is no excuse...

but OP I don't see what feminism has to do with it? some people are just selfish their sex, race, sexuality, etc has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ted1 wrote: »
    they aren't always located in any nearer. they are wider spaces to allow buggies, room to put kids in car seats etc. beside foot path so kids don't have to run through car parks.

pregnancy is no excuse...

but OP I don't see what feminism has to do with it? some people are just selfish their sex, race, sexuality, etc has nothing to do with it.

I've seen heavily pregnant women struggle to get out of cars in tight spaces.
    I also know of women with hip & pelvic issues that causes extreme back & mobility issues even early on in pregnancy, who would need the extra space to manouver themselves in and out of the car.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I've seen heavily pregnant women struggle to get out of cars in tight spaces.
    I also know of women with hip & pelvic issues that causes extreme back & mobility issues even early on in pregnancy, who would need the extra space to manouver themselves in and out of the car.

I understand what you are saying but I don't buy it as an excuse.
    but if its a disability then they should apply for a blue badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You can't get a badge for short-term/temporary issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Parent and child spaces are an honour thing rather than a mandatory thing like disabled parking spaces. I've been known to park in them at 10/11pm at night for safety reasons but would never do so between 8am and 8pm when families might need them. Nothing to do with my gender op, nor solidarity with women and kids, just being considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

You have obviously never been pregnant! It can be really painful for some women. I had hip and pelvis issues during pregnancy but also have a disability so have a disabled parking permit. If the disabled spots weren't/ aren't available when I needed them, I park in parent and child spots, because my mobility issues mean I need the extra door space. I will always display my permit though so a sensible person will figure out why I parked there.

OP, it is nothing to do with feminism.

You have obviously never been pregnant! It can be really painful for some women. I had hip and pelvis issues during pregnancy but also have a disability so have a disabled parking permit. If the disabled spots weren't/ aren't available when I needed them, I park in parent and child spots, because my mobility issues mean I need the extra door space. I will always display my permit though so a sensible person will figure out why I parked there.

OP, it is nothing to do with feminism.

Your right I’ve never been but my wife, sisters ,friends etc have been.

I generally cycle and often come across cars parked in cycle lanes.
    I’m not sure with your disability if you use a chair but if you do I’m sure you know to well how the park on footpaths too.

Ever time they block a footpath or cycle path there’s some excuse. So you’ll have to excuse me when I don’t buy people excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why is this thread even here? This isn't an issue just for women, it's not the fault of women. I don't park in these spaces, nothing to do with feminism or supporting the 'sisterhood'. It's about not being a dick and that's not exclusive to any gender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement