Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from rent to HAP

Options
  • 22-11-2018 4:09pm

Hi,

If you've just moved into a flat, and within a month or two your circumstances change and you have to get HAP/rent supplement, can the landlord refuse/kick you out?

Its not for me, I have a mate about to move in to a new apt, (deposit and months rent paid and references checked) but they just found out they may not have a job in the new year :/

Their stress is 90, its their first Xmas with their kid as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hi,

If you've just moved into a flat, and within a month or two your circumstances change and you have to get HAP/rent supplement, can the landlord refuse/kick you out?

Its not for me, I have a mate about to move in to a new apt, (deposit and months rent paid and references checked) but they just found out they may not have a job in the new year :/

Their stress is 90, its their first Xmas with their kid as well.

To get a hap payment you need to be on the social housing list first. And no the landlord cant refuse/kick you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Better to look for another job and not have the stress. If they apply for hap it does not mean they will get it.
    If house is not up to modern building regs your friend might be looking for another property if the landlord refuses to carry out the work.
    Rent is paid in arrears so your friend will have to find the money in the mean time. If this is not paid the landlord can give you notice to leave and then no reference.

Have a look at other posts about hap and you will understand why it is not the tenant or landlords friend.

Ask your friend to have a chat with the landlord and see they can work something out without going through all the paperwork. If they get a job in the mean time they may not need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

HAP absolutely is the tenants friend, don't listen to such nonsense. Think of it this way, if you live in a 1200 euro a month apartment, would you like to pay 1200 a month without HAP or 700 a month with HAP?
    Is there anyone with a brain who would choose the former?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

stinkbomb wrote: »
    HAP absolutely is the tenants friend, don't listen to such nonsense.

Unfortunately you have to meet certain criteria before you can even apply for hap

Well of course you do, but that doesn't say anything about the worth of it to the tenant.

If anyone can explain why it would be good for me to pay 500 euro a month more in rent every month than I do now, I'd love to hear that rationale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

HAP absolutely is the tenants friend, don't listen to such nonsense. Think of it this way, if you live in a 1200 euro a month apartment, would you like to pay 1200 a month without HAP or 700 a month with HAP?
    Is there anyone with a brain who would choose the former?

It actually isn’t their friend.speaking from a ll point of view, i believe HAP inflates the price of rentals as people can only pay what they afford

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Well of course you do, but that doesn't say anything about the worth of it to the tenant.

If anyone can explain why it would be good for me to pay 500 euro a month more in rent every month than I do now, I'd love to hear that rationale!

At the end of the day who pays for the reduction of rent you pay with Hap?

You and everyone that pays payee and prsi and this is increased to cover the rent the councils pay. It is not a tenants friend.

Hap is pushing rents up as not all landlords can carry out the new building regulations. Many tenants will find they will have no place to go.
    Don't forget you are taken off the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fol20 wrote: »
    It actually isn’t their friend.speaking from a ll point of view, i believe HAP inflates the price of rentals as people can only pay what they afford

+1 , HAP creates an artificial floor that many landlords always want to stay above as to not even have to reject HAP tenants by name.

Now that the RPZ's have done away with those rent increases though, many landlords are slightly adapting properties to just not meet HAP standards, or simply saying yes, never signing the form and then sending a notice of arrears and beginning the kick out procedure.

You can tell a landlord that you're moving to HAP and they aren't really allowed say no, but nobody can force them to participate either, its a dice roll for your mate OP but especially if its in the Dublin area id say its 30/70 take hap/find a creative way to make your mate leave.

That's rubbish. You can look at it from an abstract viewpoint, but from a practical one for the tenant who needs help, its all just nonsense. You can't tell me that its actually better for me to pay 1200 a month in rent instead of 700, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's rubbish. You can look at it from an abstract viewpoint, but from a practical one for the tenant who needs help, its all just nonsense. You can't tell me that its actually better for me to pay 1200 a month in rent instead of 700, and you know it.

I can't, but I can tell you that the number of places available to you on HAP is easily 1/3 if not 1/4 of the places available to you for real cash money not taken from the government.

• Advertisement

Well your looking at this from a very micro level. From a macro level. It does inflate all rental prices across the board. The majority of tenants pay tax. Who do you think pays for HAP? So it’s not the tenants friend as it costs tenants that pay tax money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

+1 , HAP creates an artificial floor that many landlords always want to stay above as to not even have to reject HAP tenants by name.

Now that the RPZ's have done away with those rent increases though, many landlords are slightly adapting properties to just not meet HAP standards, or simply saying yes, never signing the form and then sending a notice of arrears and beginning the kick out procedure.

You can tell a landlord that you're moving to HAP and they aren't really allowed say no, but nobody can force them to participate either, its a dice roll for your mate OP but especially if its in the Dublin area id say its 30/70 take hap/find a creative way to make your mate leave.

And landlords wonder why the Government crack down so hard on them.

Deliberately altering a house so it fails a HAP inspection is a massive own goal if you want to show Government that you can run a workable rental industry without the need for the problematical rules.

And youd have to question whether people who think like that are actually people tenants should be forced to do business with to have a home.

Very very annoying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Lets not turn this into yet another anti-HAP/anti-landlord/economics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Old diesel wrote: »
    And landlords wonder why the Government crack down so hard on them.

Deliberately altering a house so it fails a HAP inspection is a massive own goal if you want to show Government that you can run a workable rental industry without the need for the problematical rules.

And youd have to question whether people who think like that are actually people tenants should be forced to do business with to have a home.

Very very annoying

Looking at it from the wrong angle. Instead of forcing landlords into HAP the issues with it should be addressed. On paper landlords should be jumping at it, in reality it's avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I have tenants who started on rent and now are on HAP. To be honest i dont know if it was always their plan, to get the house  by not mentioning HAP and then requesting it after a few months
    But it has all worked out, they are good tenants and if the govt will pay most of the rent then im happy. My agent still does drop ins to view the house and they are keeping it well and it actually gives me a lot of security as it would be difficult for the tenants to move now due to the HAP
    Hopefully there wont be a problem when i want to sell, i know they moved from another house that was being sold with not issue so i dont expect one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking at it from the wrong angle. Instead of forcing landlords into HAP the issues with it should be addressed. On paper landlords should be jumping at it, in reality it's avoided like the plague.

and the reasons for that?

Graces7 wrote: »
    and the reasons for that?

Social housing is a government responsibility, not a private business. Right now the government are telling ll they cannot discriminate against HAP even though, it has a certain reputation,affordability may be non existent, if damaged, you cannot go after the government even though they pay the rent and lastly the extra red tape that goes along with it.

Its like a person going for a job and the employer being told you cant discriminate againt an applicant even if they are not suited for the position.

I havent heard of people damaging their own place to avoid it, but i wouldnt be surprised if some did to avoid the extra hassle with no rewards along with it.

Advertisement