Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long engagement ring in long grass - anyone have a metal detector?

Options
  • 22-11-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello,

I'm a very silly person who insisted on wearing my brand new engagement ring before I could get it properly sized. It was a bit loose and it fell off my hand somewhere in a 2 hour window, most of which was spent sitting on the couch working. Unfortunately, I also went out to the front garden, forgetting I still had it on (I think) and spent about 10 minutes crisscrossing the lawn cleaning up. By the time I went back into the house it was gone. I've been painstakingly going through the lawn (my garden is tiny) but the grass is very long right now and it feels hopeless.

There's a chance it fell off inside, but I've gone over the living room and couch and hall with a fine tooth comb and searched every other likely place (and a lot of unlikely ones.) By a process of elimination, I think it must be somewhere in the garden. And it makes sense with all the walking around and bending over. I'm continuing my search inside and out of the house, but odds are that it's in the rough grass and I just can't find it.

I've very upset with myself and very sad, as I only had it a couple of days before I lost it. It was careless of me, I was just overexcited. I've spent hours in the rain with scissors trying to clear bits of thick lawn like an insane person and still no sign of it. It's so tiny and with all the rain lately, everything sparkles.

I know there was a case a few years ago where some hero helped a girl find her lost ring on Salthill beach. This should be easier (I hope!!)

I know that metal detecting is a contentious subject, but I'd hope in this kind of circumstance it would be okay. I'm outside the city, in Loughrea, but could figure out a way to arrange transport. I've called all the rental places around I could find, but no one has one in at the moment. If there's a gadget-loving hero out there who might be able to help, I'd be so grateful. Thanks so much for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

These things happen, don’t beat yourself up!

At least you have a finite area where you know it is. If the metal detector doesn’t work at least you can get a trowel and starting digging up the garden inch by inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

was the two hour window at home? if so, Dont worry, You will find it.

If you cant find a metal detector, go onto ebay. theres some there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

Thank you so much. Yes, I am very grateful for that. I can't imagine how much more upset I'd be if I'd walked the dog through fields, by the lake, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could have gone down inside the couch and it may be worthwhile (assuming you have felt down between all the cushions) to get someone help you turn the couch over and listen carefully - it could have caught on a ledge and be sitting there waiting to be tipped off (tip forwards). Look under the couch, if any of the plastic fabric stuff is damaged, use that to get into the space, or you may need to make a slit in it (if you do it tidily you can patch it with duct/duck tape).

That is a very good idea. I've been into every nook and cranny and put my hand through a hole in the black stuff but I didn't think to turn it over. Thank you, I'll try that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Try your local tool hire shop for the metal detector. Friend of mine rented one out to look for underground pipes and stuff before digging his yard. Think it was about €30 or so for the first day.

No luck on the couch front. Turned it over, heard a bit of a rattle and got excited, even felt something conceivably ring-shaped and got more excited, but it was some plastic off a water bottle.

I've tracked down one rentable metal detector, happily. It's out at the moment and they're not sure when it will be back but hopefully by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

You said you were cleaning up. Best not to have the bins collected until you find it. Good luck.

Thank you. I am very lucky: that was garbage collection day but I'd already dealt with the bins before I put on the ring, so I don't have to worry it went in there. I've kept the bag I was using to clean the garden. I've been through it but if I do get a metal detector I'm going to run it over the bag a bunch too, just in case I missed it.

I really appreciate all the kind responses so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

Try going out at night with a flashlight. With a bit of luck you may spot a reflection from the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

also, if you were wearing gloves, check the inside of them. Check the sink plug hole too - your fingers get smaller when cold (as do other things), so if you were running water outside check there too. and run any magpies.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Any chance the dog swallowed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ficheall wrote: »
    Any chance the dog swallowed it?

Good point, could have gotten mixed in with his food maybe?

Thank you for all your ideas! I am certainly guarding against magpies! The doggo is unlikely to have eaten it, I think. He is a pretty clingy, big guy and almost never out of my sight. He's also really bad at being sneaky. When he does find something small that interests him, a bottlecap or whatever, he will mess with it for a long time without trying to eat it. In fact, he will generally bring it to me to play the "got something good, betcha can't get it out of my mouth" game which is one of his favourite games. (I don't enjoy this game, and we're still working on "drop it".) He's also a super picky eater who can eat around the carrots in his expensive wet food. But I'm still watching his poops just in case!

I have found someone with a metal detector who's going to help me search the garden tomorrow. Wish us luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thank you for all your ideas! I am certainly guarding against magpies! The doggo is unlikely to have eaten it, I think. He is a pretty clingy, big guy and almost never out of my sight. He's also really bad at being sneaky. When he does find something small that interests him, a bottlecap or whatever, he will mess with it for a long time without trying to eat it. In fact, he will generally bring it to me to play the "got something good, betcha can't get it out of my mouth" game which is one of his favourite games. (I don't enjoy this game, and we're still working on "drop it".) He's also a super picky eater who can eat around the carrots in his expensive wet food. But I'm still watching his poops just in case!

I have found someone with a metal detector who's going to help me search the garden tomorrow. Wish us luck!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Update!!! The ring was found!!!! I am so, so, so, lucky. A wonderful man came out to Loughrea with his metal detector and found it. It only took him a few minutes, but it was so hidden in the grass that there was almost no hope I would have found it without him. Thank you all so much for your kindness, smart ideas, and PM offers of help. I'm so grateful and happy. The ring is in the box now, and I'm taking it straight to the jeweller to be resized!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Update!!! The ring was found!!!! I am so, so, so, lucky. A wonderful man came out to Loughrea with his metal detector and found it. It only took him a few minutes, but it was so hidden in the grass that there was almost no hope I would have found it without him. Thank you all so much for your kindness, smart ideas, and PM offers of help. I'm so grateful and happy. The ring is in the box now, and I'm taking it straight to the jeweller to be resized!

Delighted for you. Have a great Christmas and all the best to both of you for the future :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,351 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jlodd3 wrote: »
    Torch! Flashlight is an Americanism.

We say rubbish in Ireland, or refuse.
    What a bizarre thread to pick to be a language nerd!

Great story, OP, delighted with the happy ending!!

Rubbish and torch are excellent words! Rubbish especially is much more fun to say than garbage. For a long time I actually debated about switching these kinds of words, since they sounded a little strange and try-hard when I used them (I'm Canadian) but now most of the time I'll default to the Irish standard. I've been here for 11 years but sometimes North-Americanisms slip back in, especially under stress. :)

• Advertisement

I don't even mind a bit of language trolling, I'm just in such a good mood about my good fortune today. :) I'm surprised they missed the typo in the subject line, I didn't even see it til today! ;)

Thank you all for the congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Delighted you found it OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Delighted for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Brilliant, delighted that it was found. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ah so happy to read this!!
    I checked in especially to see if you found it :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Just stumbled across this thread here now and have to say I'm delighted for you too.

And by the way, I'm a bit of a language Nazi myself (I noticed how you said 'garbage' instead of 'rubbish' before anybody else mentioned it here!), but I'd take issue with somebody saying 'flashlight' is a North Amercian-ism and that you should say 'torch' instead.

I grew up in rural County Wexford and I well remember my grandfather back in the 1970s, and an old batchelor uncle who died in the 1990s, both always saying 'flashlight'. My father (now close to his 90s) would still use that word too. And none of that was under the influence of American TV or anything else. It's just what they grew up saying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just seen this thread, congratulations to.you both and an extra special happy xmas to tge good samaritan that helped you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Thats made my day, and yours too just a bit! Congrats on the great find, and actually having the wherewithal and composure to get the guy with the detector so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Just came across this thread by chance but just wanted to say I'm delighted you found it and best of luck in the future.

Advertisement