Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mole?

Options
  • 22-11-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭

Came out to the garden today (yeah, I know, late November.) Had some very nice chards growing in a 'remote' part that I just set up this summer.

2 full grown chards were flopped over, and when I picked them up, they had no roots, had been 'girdled' at the base.

Could it be moles? This is West Kerry, Dingle Peninsula area. If it's moles, what can be done to rid myself of them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No idea what munched your chard but there are no moles in Ireland, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

looksee wrote: »
    No idea what munched your chard but there are no moles in Ireland, afaik.

Any equivalent burrowing critters? Voles?

I thought it might be Hares, but why eat the roots off the plants but leave the leaves alone (the leaves were intact -too cold for the slugs this time of year.) Plus I don't see big rabbit holes around, could be there of course and I have seen the occasional hare in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only think I know of that shears off roots is vine weavil. Have a look in the hole where the plants were for small curved grubs.

Edit - or, come to think of it, leatherjackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

looksee wrote: »
    The only think I know of that shears off roots is vine weavil. Have a look in the hole where the plants were for small curved grubs.

Edit - or, come to think of it, leatherjackets.

Aha. Crane fly larvae. We have lots of crane flies. I will do some digging and see, I think I've occasionally seen the grub. B*stards, waited for the chard to be good and big, too.

Advertisement