Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athlone

Options
  • 22-11-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, myself and my partner are thinking of moving to Athone to either a house or an aprtment.(to buy). I would appreciate it if anybody could give their opinions on the areas below: such as are they safe/ quiet etc.,

Magazine Road,house
    Abbey Rd,house
    Golden Island Apartments,
    Connaught St. House
    Excise Street, apartment,
    Innis House, apartment,
    Northgate Street, house

We are in our in late forties and do not have children so we dont have to worry about schools.
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

I cant really say about Innis House, or Golden Island but all the other areas you mention are nice quiet town center areas.

Magazine Road is a nice quiet area on the west side towncentre. Easily walkable to shops.

Connaught Street was once a busy street but now very quiet so would be ideal for accommodation.

Excise Street really nice, quiet, very little traffic. Just a nice towncentre location.

Northgate street would be busier and a lot more traffic but still a great location

Abbey Road slightly busier traffic wise on the east side near Dunnes Montree and Radisson Hotel easy walk to towncentre .

If it was me I would probably go for either Connaught St or Excise St both on the west side of town ...

but then again Im a total townie :))

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sandra246

Ah thanks Martin thats great help. We are "Dublin Townys' just making sure we dont end up in an even more noisier place etc.

Like the look of Athlone Town it looks good.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sandra246 wrote: »
    Magazine Road,house
    Connaught St. House
    These two streets/areas are quiet because they are very run down and sad. Central, but no.

Everywhere else on your list looks good to me.

Thanks thats also good to know.
    Sandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Sandra246 wrote: »
    Hi, myself and my partner are thinking of moving to Athone to either a house or an aprtment.(to buy). I would appreciate it if anybody could give their opinions on the areas below: such as are they safe/ quiet etc.,

Magazine Road,house
    Abbey Rd,house
    Golden Island Apartments,
    Connaught St. House
    Excise Street, apartment,
    Innis House, apartment,
    Northgate Street, house

We are in our in late forties and do not have children so we dont have to worry about schools.
    Thanks in Advance.

Innis house is shoddy student apartment block that were built in a hurry. Awful apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

I agree that connaught street has become a little jaded but the op was asking about residential accom. not opening a shop.

So Connaught st would be an excellent option and I would certainly not describe Magazine Rd as "run down"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Magazine Road and Abbey Road are both grand, residential, lots of through traffic but it's not very fast, both have mature residental streets on them and are a few minutes walk to the centre of town.

One caviet would be to avoid Marine View in Abbey Road, good location and the houses themselves are actually decent but there's a few "problem" families in there that make it a bit of a pain in the arse.

Any opinions on Bastion Court Apartments. Thanks

Advertisement