Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC upgrade advise

Options
  • 22-11-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Thinking of keeping my eyes open over this week end for some updates to my PC. I build this rig with help from boards in the spring of 2014. I mainly play fps games but play most sorts of games.

Current Build
    i5 4670k (no overclock was never able to get it stable think i got a bad one)
    as rock z87 killer
    16 gig 4x4 ram corsair vengance (cant remember the speed)
    asus GTX 780 3 gig (card died one on me 6 months ago and i baked it and it worked surprisingly so is first to be replaced most likely)
    850 evo ssd main drive
    h100i GTX cooler (stock fans are crazy noisy)

Monitor is a dell s2417dg so 1440p 144hz g-sync

Because of the gsync monitor I am thinking of staying with nvidia to get the most out of it. If for example i was to put a rtx 2070 in how much would the cpu or ram be a bottleneck.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-xc-ultra-gaming-8gb-gddr6-vr-ready-graphics-card-2304-core-1725mhz-boost

Thanks Bean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RAM: not a bottleneck

CPU: only in titles like Battlefield that have lots of players (i.e. 32+)

Get yourself some nice Noctua fans while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Get a 2nd hand i7-4770 or 4790 for €120-150, then get a new GTX1070Ti for £370.

Sell i5-4670 for around €70 and GTX780 for about €120.

An i5-4670, especially at stock, would be a terrible bottleneck in the latest games, but as KO said your ram is fine, but obviously with a 144hz monitor, every component makes a difference towards the highest FPS possible.

An i7 though for that motherboard will still deliver strong stable minimum framerates versus the i5.

A GTX1070Ti + 2nd hand i7 will be a way more balanced ugprade than just an RTX2070 or whatever and give much better gameplay.

Advertisement