Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swapping a car with a garage

• 22-11-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever swapped a car with a garage?

I'm driving a diesel car at the moment but do mostly city driving and fairly low mileage annually (6k kms ish). I often take a bus or a train for longer journeys as I find driving can be a bit boring.
    I would like to swap it for a petrol engined car of similar value. The garage can decide what they consider similar value allowing for their margin.
    The car is in fairly decent condition and there are no major jobs to be done.

Any garage I mention it to are immediately suspicious and dismissive of the suggestion.

Just wondering if there are garages that consider it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The problem is that garages are in the business of making money. Your not going to get a straight swap from them for a car of equal value. The garage will want money from you unless you want to trade it in for a car of lesser value.

The other alternative is to try selling it privately and then buy a petrol car with the proceeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

bazz26 wrote: »
    The problem is that garages are in the business of making money. Your not going to get a straight swap from them for a car of equal value. The garage will want money from you unless you want to trade it in for a car of lesser value.

The other alternative is to try selling it privately and then buy a petrol car with the proceeds.

I accept that they should make money on the swap. If, for example, they value my car at 10k they could offer a swap for a car they have valued at 9. They just have to sell my car to realise their profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I accept that they should make money on the swap. If, for example, they value my car at 10k they could offer a swap for a car they have valued at 9. They just have to sell my car to realise their profit.

Isn't that called trading in a car and buying a newer one? Seems like a better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You're prepared to take a hit to get a car of same value of yours but petrol due to your driving?

Would that hit not cover a new DPF if you need one in next few years?

Otherwise wont be much difference in the running costs. Diesel is cheaper and car should still do better mpg. Servicing will be a bit dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

You're prepared to take a hit to get a car of same value of yours but petrol due to your driving?

Would that hit not cover a new DPF if you need one in next few years?

Otherwise wont be much difference in the running costs. Diesel is cheaper and car should still do better mpg. Servicing will be a bit dearer.

These are the issues:

I find maintenance on diesel far more expensive.

I think they are worse for the environment, especially in a city where it is driven most often.

Selling a car privately is a pain in the hole.

I dont want to spend money.

Writing this down has made the idea seem less reasonable. Maybe thats how garage owner read it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask why you bought diesel to begin with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Diesel is popular down the country.
    If you could find a country garage with a petrol to sell they might be interested but as others said it's a long shot.

What make model are you driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

le.

I dont want to spend money.

That’s the key but, isn’t it? :)

You’re asking a business to do you a favour. What’s in it for them? They still have the same number of cars sitting on 5e forecour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not put it up for sale on done deal.

Look at similar and lower you price a bit and a good bit lower then any dealer.

You should have no issue selling it and get more then you would from a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Swap privately?

• Advertisement
Advertisement