Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas gift advice - phone around €500/€550

• 22-11-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice regarding getting a new phone for a relative (who is very tech savvy but just can't fork out for a new phone at the minute). It's a group present so we can go a bit higher if ther's a phone that would be highly recommended. I've spent the last few weeks trawling though gsmarena/keeping an eye on amazon but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the following phones?

I've looked into the One Plus 6 (this is the one I'm edging towards), Samsung Galaxy (9/9+ if it's on offer...), the P20 in addition to some of the chineese brands (Xiomi Mi Mix 3/huawei Honor 8x/10 ) which look great and are a bit cheaper. Is it worth paying a bit more for the likes of the one plus 6/samsung? Especially in terms of longevity? We're mainly looking for a phone that would last at least 2 years and has a good camera. Also NFC is apparently a must.

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

One Plus 6 or 6T CANT GO WRONG...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

OnePlus 6 128gb 8gb ram is £449 on Amazon at the moment, great price and all colours are available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HQYFJCX/ref=twister_B07HZH35Z7?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Any final input though on the huawei p20? Just came across it browsing some of the cyber monday 'deals'. It seems like the two phones are really similar based on GSMarena comparison (https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9107&idPhone2=9109)..in fact the camera seems a bit better and it's 399 pounds currently :/

I'm probably going to grab the one plus today. It's less than 500e on amazon at the minute and seems to be the consensus that it's the better option from the few people I've asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

If it was the better P20 Pro then it would be a tougher decision but I'd 100% pick the 6 over the P20, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

xtal191 wrote: »
    If it was the better P20 Pro then it would be a tougher decision but I'd 100% pick the 6 over the P20, you wont regret it.

Yeah the p20 pro looks lovely! Bit out of the budget though! Thanks again...ordered the OP6 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement