Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodpigeons everywhere

• 22-11-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Anyone notice an unusually high influx of woodpigeon around north Kildare/Dublin the last fortnight; I can only assume they’re migrants from the hard weather in the north of England/ Scotland . Not complaining they’re great shooting even just walking the ditches . A flock got up this evening off a small wood that must be 4-500 birds after I fired a shot. Mostly young birds from this year looking at the size of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have never seen as few pigeons as this year. Less every year, here in North Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Danzy wrote: »
    Have never seen as few pigeons as this year. Less every year, here in North Cork.

there was a plague of them around here last year too; they’re definitely migrants and they’re back again this year.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/farming/tillage/attack-of-the-birds-huge-flocks-of-pigeons-wreak-havoc-on-farmers-crop-36521568.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wow, that would be some shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - serious numbers about. As you say probably migrants coming in on the Easterly winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Anyone notice an unusually high influx of woodpigeon around north Kildare/Dublin the last fortnight; I can only assume they’re migrants from the hard weather in the north of England/ Scotland . Not complaining they’re great shooting even just walking the ditches . A flock got up this evening off a small wood that must be 4-500 birds after I fired a shot. Mostly young birds from this year looking at the size of them.

There is a ton of them nest near my house out beside blessington lake, I'm dying waiting for the shotgun licence to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm staying in Curracloe on the SE coast with friends this WE and there was a noticeable passage of birds coming in off the sea today despite the rain which confirms what was mentioned earlier in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm staying in Curracloe on the SE coast with friends this WE and there was a noticeable passage of birds coming in off the sea today despite the rain which confirms what was mentioned earlier in this thread

there’s definitely an unusual amount hanging around even if out rough shooting; they’re hungry & gorging on ivy/haw berries and rising freely off the ditches; maybe a sign of a changing dynamic of what will be presenting for a shot going forward- I’m resigned to pigeon/pheasant/ mallard now as being a viable option going forward having stopped shooting snipe/ woodcock/ teal etc.. i’ll Be attacked for saying that no doubt!!!!

Advertisement