Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace EPH R47 with a Honeywell Evohome

• 23-11-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to replace a 4-zone EPH R47 with a Honeywell Evohome.

Is it handy enough to DIY it?
    There's x4 eph motorised valves for each zone (water/living/bedroom/upstairs zones)

I'd plan on adding trv rad stats and hotwater sensor later. Also, there's a boiler stove and solar hotwater in the mix if that matters.

Hoping to get something in the sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭boosabum

In the process of getting one fitted.
    TRV's are easy to fit if the radiator valves are already TRV type.
    Evohome suggest using honeywell valves as they provide greater temp regulation
    Waiting to the hot water tank relay and boiler relay connected but i don;t think it's over-elaborate.
    Need to connect a motorized valve too if you don't have one to separate hot water & radiator zones
    Unlikely to get anything in the sales but try theevohomeshop and they seem to have the best packages.
    If you can get a friend with a VAT number to buy on your behalf then you'll make a nice saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭boosabum

that is what i bought, could not see anything cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ok value, nothing special for black Friday though.
    trv usually around £60 each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I've been looking a lot at this and am going to go for geniushub over evohome.
    https://www.geniushub.co.uk/products/

The reasons are:
    There is a sensor that can be paired that takes an accurate room temp reading and doesn't rely on TRV .
    The system operates with majority of functions in app when internet is down .
    The system itself is a collection of Zwave devices , that could be used in future if company ever stopped supporting it
    The TRvs are suppose to be less noisy than the honeywells.
    Honeywell don't seem to be developing any new software for their system

I downloaded a demo of their app and was very impressed with functionality.
    Just a suggestion anyway, the Honeywell is well established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Thanks John Doe, interesting looking kit.
    Looking into it, seems they just have ifttt support, while there is more community support for SmartThings integration with the Evohome. Not a deal breaker but I have ST already for home automation.

Plus their zwave alright but you can't have them on more then one zwave network.
    If I told the wife she'd have to open an app on her phone to set the heating there would be war :)

I'll research a bit more before deciding on the platform. (I never heard of genius so clearly I need to research more!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Thanks John Doe, interesting looking kit.
    Looking into it, seems they just have ifttt support, while there is more community support for SmartThings integration with the Evohome. Not a deal breaker but I have ST already for home automation.

Plus their zwave alright but you can't have them on more then one zwave network.
    If I told the wife she'd have to open an app on her phone to set the heating there would be war :)

I'll research a bit more before deciding on the platform. (I never heard of genius so clearly I need to research more!)

Ya I was same , totally missed it , but I think it's as it's not well advertised.
    Evohome, Drayton Wiser and GeniusHub were the 3 I narrowed down to.

Wiser is not officially supported in Ireland till next Jan so I ruled it out

The thing I like about the GeniusHub is the external Zwave sensors for presence and temperature, have a few rads behind furniture and covered so the TRVs might not get accurate temp. You can download the app and get a full function system to try out on app by entering your email. They then send you on a username and password for test purposes.

Advertisement