Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a complaint to HR, no HR manager showed at meeting, only two managers.

Options
  • 23-11-2018 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So on Monday I made a complaint to HR about a supervisor.
    I had the meeting yesterday morning but only my two line managers showed up, no one from HR.

Ive never been in front of HR before so I'm not sure of the procedure.
    Should a HR manager be there ?
    Will there be a HR manager at my supervisors meeting?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

What was the complaint about?

did you request a meeting with HR?
    What did the managers say to you in your meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Procedure was followed, the supervisor is the line managers responsibility. They will hear both sides of the story and report back to HR.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

The complaint was bullying and harassment.
    I had sent the complaint to both HR, the director and my two lines managers.
    Managers didnt saying anything about HR, one was asking questions and the other was taking notes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I suggest you get the company handbook and look up the procedure for dealing with these complaints to know how they say they will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Managers didnt saying anything about HR, one was asking questions and the other was taking notes

Just curious as to what form of bullying and harassment took place and what kind of work is involved.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention that when it is investigated you too will be told of the result of the investigation.

It sounds like they have taken the matter seriously, I hope your situation improves.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Just curious as to what form of bullying and harassment took place and what kind of work is involved.

She's a brain surgeon and the supervisor keeps hiding her scalpels during operations.

Seriously though, why should she risk exposing who she is here over such a personal matter to sate your curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It seems poor form no one from HR was in the meeting. Even simply from a "protect the company" perspective.

It sounds like your manager wants to quickly solve the issue, and not make it a big deal.

I think you should wait for the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

She's a brain surgeon and the supervisor keeps hiding her scalpels during operations.

LOL!

But you do have a point, I don't feel comfortable putting those details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

daheff wrote: »
    What was the complaint about?

did you request a meeting with HR?
    What did the managers say to you in your meeting?

Was asked to stack the cans with the front facing forward and then took the hump.

• Advertisement

Seriously though, why should she risk exposing who she is here over such a personal matter to sate your curiosity?

Obviously you're not a brain surgeon if you think that describing the form of bullying/harassment she suffers would identify her!

LOL!

But you do have a point, I don't feel comfortable putting those details online.

LOL!
    bullying & harassment can vary from so mild that most people would not regard it as such to very severe and upsetting. Are you comfortable to saying which it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

She already says she's not comfortable posting those details. And rightly so.

She already says she's not comfortable posting those details. And rightly so.

Who's looking for details?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Procedure was followed, the supervisor is the line managers responsibility. They will hear both sides of the story and report back to HR.

Exactly. Depending on the outcome, the person being investigated will have the right of appeal to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It seems poor form no one from HR was in the meeting. Even simply from a "protect the company" perspective.

Not necessarily.

There is no legal role called "HR" or any requirement for a company to have an HR department.

In plenty of companies managers are responsible for their own staff, and Finance do payroll and leave administration. Any investigation results simply go to the manager's manager.

In the OP's case, it comes down to what the company's policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If the employee handbook outlines the make up of an investigation team then whatever it states should be followed. There is no automatic right that members of HR should do investigations especially if they are HR Generalists who don’t have the required skills to do same.

Get a copy of the handbook and take it from there. Also it may be an idea to wait and see outcome before deciding on next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

In my organisation this sounds correct.

2 managers complete an investigation, HR excluded totally.

Managers make a finding, hand an investigation pack to HR with a recommendation. HR complete their own investigation and make outcome.

Appeal of HR then raised to director level as they have been excluded in total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

In my organisation this sounds correct.

2 managers complete an investigation, HR excluded totally.

Managers make a finding, hand an investigation pack to HR with a recommendation. HR complete their own investigation and make outcome.

Appeal of HR then raised to director level as they have been excluded in total

Exactly, often if there isn't a huge hr team, management will do the investigation, and if it is to move to disciplinary hr will step in at that stage. Investigation panels and disciplinary panels should consist of completely different people.

Advertisement