Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Advice Wanted

Options
  • 23-11-2018 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there.
    I am currently in part time permanent employment for over 10 years with my current employer, some years ago I was put back to a 3 day week as the work simply wasn't there.
    I like the job which is why I have stayed put.

I am also part time self employed as a photographer, this time of year is quiet but summers are pretty crazy.

My wife has recently returned to work after 12 months of maternity leave. We are seriously considering our options with regards creche, mortgage application etc. Since our little fella has started creche he was been sick, if it's not a throat infection then it's an ear infection.

We feel that if I left my job then we would break even considering the cost of crèche, both financially and on our sons health as he had never been sick until he started creche some months ago.

As I work less hours and earn less then it would make sense for me to be the one to stay at home with him, keep up the photography and find a child minder for when I have a wedding to shoot etc.

My question is if I simply hand in my notice is there any social welfare assistance available to me? I know that if I were to be let go then of course I would be entitled to jobseekers, is there anything for those who are self employed but not earning enough to make ends meet?

Any info. greatly appreciate, thanks in advance ☺️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

My question is if I simply hand in my notice is there any social welfare assistance available to me?

My understanding is that there is but you may have to wait longer.
    If you leave work voluntarily or as a result of misconduct, you cannot get a jobseeker’s payment for 9 weeks. However, if you have ‘good cause’ to leave voluntarily, for example, any changes in working conditions such as a reduction in pay, harassment or abuse from your employer, you may get your payment. The Deciding Officer in your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office will decide whether you had good cause to leave voluntarily.

Link

Also I'd recommend looking at the STEA. It might be of interest and unlike the BTWEA there is no qualifying period.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As well as waiting ... assistance would be means tested against your wife's income, and you would be expected to be looking for enough photography work for your bisiness to be viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

assistance would be means tested against your wife's income

Even for the first year? I thought if someone has enough PRSI contributions you get Jobseeker's Benefit for a year which isn't means tested but after a year and you wish to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance that would be means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

novaboy80 wrote: »
    Since our little fella has started creche he was been sick, if it's not a throat infection then it's an ear infection.

One thing to note is that this doesn't last forever - kids go from a very limited "social group" into creche with lots of new people, and new bugs. After a few months they won't get sick as often (though it might start up again when they start school, and get introduced to a whole new bunch of bugs).

As martyoo said, there's a waiting period if you hand in your notice. There is also an expectation that you're actively seeking work.

Your wife may be able to get WFP, depending on her income.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Soletraders

Job seeker's benefit will last for nine months and because you left your job, you won't get a payment for the first nine weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement