Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alarm Recommendation

Options
  • 23-11-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is an age old recurring question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm becoming a first time home owner and want to get it fitted for an alarm system.
    Any recommendations and configurations would be helpful including the best way to address the conservatory, would it be best to alarm every window in it and the door too external or the door to external door from kitchen to conservatory?

I have the follow points of entry to take into consideration

Ground Floor
    • Front Door
    • Living Room Large Window
    • Living Room Small Window
    • Kitchen Window
    • Kitchen to Conservatory Door
    • Small Conservatory Windows x 5
    • Conservatory to Garden Door

First Floor
    • Main Bedroom Large Window
    • Main Bedroom Small Window
    • Single Bedroom Large Window
    • Single Bedroom Small Window
    • Spare Bedroom Large Window
    • Spare Bedroom Small Window
    • Bathroom Medium Window
    • Bathroom Small Window

I would like a system that is self monitor via an app rather than monitored by a company. Company wise I'm based in the D15 area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm sure this is an age old recurring question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm becoming a first time home owner and want to get it fitted for an alarm system.
    Any recommendations and configurations would be helpful including the best way to address the conservatory, would it be best to alarm every window in it and the door too external or the door to external door from kitchen to conservatory?

I have the follow points of entry to take into consideration

Ground Floor
    • Front Door
    • Living Room Large Window
    • Living Room Small Window
    • Kitchen Window
    • Kitchen to Conservatory Door
    • Small Conservatory Windows x 5
    • Conservatory to Garden Door

First Floor
    • Main Bedroom Large Window
    • Main Bedroom Small Window
    • Single Bedroom Large Window
    • Single Bedroom Small Window
    • Spare Bedroom Large Window
    • Spare Bedroom Small Window
    • Bathroom Medium Window
    • Bathroom Small Window

I would like a system that is self monitor via an app rather than monitored by a company. Company wise I'm based in the D15 area.

All depends on the wiring configuration.
    If its wired the way you have it listed you can put them on separate zones or which is more than likely may have to group them together.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Our most popular options on this would be GSD or Siemens Vanderbilt. Both have good options for self monitoring with apps without getting tied into annual or monthly subscriptions to use the apps and no charges for downloading their apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi KoolKid
    Have similar requirements as above.
    Getting complete rewire done atm.
    Sparky thinks we should go wireless. He thinks running wires down new windows is shame. So aesthetics not functional preference.
    Or maybe he just doesn't want to quote for the extra work for him and he only wires keypad and bell.
    Any views on wired vs wireless options for GSD or Vanderbilt.As in cost for wiring vs extra cost of wireless sensors. And reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

KoolKid wrote: »
    Our most popular options on this would be GSD or Siemens Vanderbilt. Both have good options for self monitoring with apps without getting tied into annual or monthly subscriptions to use the apps and no charges for downloading their apps.

Thanks for that, at a glance i see vanderbilt seems to be popular and mention of hkc having issues with polling?
    How fairs wired vs wireless nowadays? Are wireless systems still susceptible to hacks, interception or relay attacks from SDR's or has security in systems improved?
    Probably a how deep is a hole question but would an average quote be for a home with my layout?

Any particulars in the suppliers / installers list that would deal with vanderbilt in the north dublin area?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi KoolKid
    Have similar requirements as above.
    Getting complete rewire done atm.
    Sparky thinks we should go wireless. He thinks running wires down new windows is shame. So aesthetics not functional preference.
    Or maybe he just doesn't want to quote for the extra work for him and he only wires keypad and bell.
    Any views on wired vs wireless options for GSD or Vanderbilt.As in cost for wiring vs extra cost of wireless sensors. And reliability.

Wired is always preferable for a number of reasons.Device for device wired is cheaper. No need to be replacing batteries. Wired units are tidier. If wired properly visible wires would be minimal. Most electricians/builders want you to go wireless especially if they are not PSA licenced & not getting the full alarm job.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, at a glance i see vanderbilt seems to be popular and mention of hkc having issues with polling?
    How fairs wired vs wireless nowadays? Are wireless systems still susceptible to hacks, interception or relay attacks from SDR's or has security in systems improved?
    Probably a how deep is a hole question but would an average quote be for a home with my layout?

Any particulars in the suppliers / installers list that would deal with vanderbilt in the north dublin area?

I have yet to see a decent wireless alarm hacked in this manner. Wireless quotes would largely be based on the number of devices required. Unfortunately, with Vanderbilt, they do not have wireless shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Wired is always preferable for a number of reasons.Device for device wired is cheaper. No need to be replacing batteries. Wired units are tidier. If wired properly visible wires would be minimal. Most electricians/builders want you to go wireless especially if they are not PSA licenced & not getting the full alarm job.

Thanks. But given I have no alarm wiring atm, would adding cost of wiring still be cheaper than the extra for wireless sensors. Or get hybrid systen with mix of sensors.

Hard to say without looking at the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks. But given I have no alarm wiring atm, would adding cost of wiring still be cheaper than the extra for wireless sensors. Or get hybrid systen with mix of sensors.

If you are getting a full rewire now would be the time to get the cables in.
    Sparks will know if it can be done easily enough and price for same.

Advertisement