Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre employment medical

• 23-11-2018 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

I had to pay €105 for a pre employment medical and was told this would be refunded to me.
    I got a partial refund this week but it was put through payroll and I was deducted tax on it

Can anyone please advise if this is correct? Seems very unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely sounds wrong. Out of pocket expenses shouldn't be reimbursed through payroll.

Query it with them, it may be that it's officially classed as a benefit in kind, since you would have received medical advice/care at the expense of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

seamus wrote: »
    Definitely sounds wrong. Out of pocket expenses shouldn't be reimbursed through payroll.

Query it with them, it may be that it's officially classed as a benefit in kind, since you would have received medical advice/care at the expense of the company.
    OP was not an employee at time of medical, hence not BIK

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seamus wrote: »

Its common to pay them using the payroll system - but they should be put thru as non-taxable expenses.

(If they're not done thru payroll, employees need to be set up as suppliers... which can be impossible if there are tight system rules around suppliers.)

Advertisement