Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest thermostat E

Options
  • 23-11-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi im looking at getting the nest E my understanding is that it will replace existing 240v roomstat without the need for heatlink and running low voltage wiring thus making it a simple install, existing programmer gets left on constant and heating is then controlled by the nest am I correct in this thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭gfog

Very interested in this also but can find very little info online.

Key for me will be if the thermostat or temp reading is actually in the nest unit and not in the plate on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Just to update this i installed the Nest E the other day its a fantastic bit of kit and very easy to install

The heatlink replaces your thermostat on your wall, all this does is act as a switch to switch heating on and off you leave your programmer on constant and forget about it. The Heatlink receives the signal from the nest thermostat that you can place in any room and move it wherever you want.

The Nest thermostat and heatlink connect to each other on their own independent network so even if your internet is down they can still connect to each other and failing that the heatlink has a manual button on it to switch heating on and off.

On the app on your phone you see the temp from the heatlink location and from the nest thermostat, the thermostat is the control though! I think the temp recorded at the heatlink only comes into effect if the temp drops below a level ie a frost guard type thing the app also shows the humidity level.

I also picked up a couple of Google home minis and it really compliments the nest its great to be able to just say "ok google turn up the heat"!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

cosanostra wrote: »
    Just to update this i installed the Nest E the other day its a fantastic bit of kit and very easy to install

The heatlink replaces your thermostat on your wall, all this does is act as a switch to switch heating on and off you leave your programmer on constant and forget about it. The Heatlink receives the signal from the nest thermostat that you can place in any room and move it wherever you want.

The Nest thermostat and heatlink connect to each other on their own independent network so even if your internet is down they can still connect to each other and failing that the heatlink has a manual button on it to switch heating on and off.

On the app on your phone you see the temp from the heatlink location and from the nest thermostat, the thermostat is the control though! I think the temp recorded at the heatlink only comes into effect if the temp drops below a level ie a frost guard type thing the app also shows the humidity level.

I also picked up a couple of Google home minis and it really compliments the nest its great to be able to just say "ok google turn up the heat"!

Seems you may have already done what I am looking into. I've found very limited info on Nest compatability with 230V.
    I want to replace my existing mechnical 2-wire 230V thermostat with smart device that allows me to then move thermostat location from hall wirelessly to living room. Sounds like the Nest Thermostat E option with heatlink in hall, thermostat then in living room is solution. Can you please clarify the following?
    • is the Nest E heatlink compatible with 230V, so repacing my two wire 230VAC thermostat - I can't see this on the Nest website anywhere?
    • IS there any subscription needed on Nest app on phone or is it free?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cosanostra

brian1976 wrote: »
    Seems you may have already done what I am looking into. I've found very limited info on Nest compatability with 230V.
    I want to replace my existing mechnical 2-wire 230V thermostat with smart device that allows me to then move thermostat location from hall wirelessly to living room. Sounds like the Nest Thermostat E option with heatlink in hall, thermostat then in living room is solution. Can you please clarify the following?
    • is the Nest E heatlink compatible with 230V, so repacing my two wire 230VAC thermostat - I can't see this on the Nest website anywhere?
    • IS there any subscription needed on Nest app on phone or is it free?

Yes compatible with 230v all you need to know is which wire is your constant live and which is going to your boiler look on YouTube nest have a video showing installation for UK

No subscription required completely free

I picked up yesterday and installed last night.

Install was simple, took about 30mins, and works perfectly.

Solves a problem for me as the original thermostat was in the front room and not the kitchen/living area were we spend our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

gfog wrote: »
    I picked up yesterday and installed last night.

Install was simple, took about 30mins, and works perfectly.

Solves a problem for me as the original thermostat was in the front room and not the kitchen/living area were we spend our time.

Are they €250 everywhere or can they be gotten cheaper?

I had a good look around, best price was from Nest directly however I picked up in PC World at a 20 quid premium to get my hands on it quicker.

I was hoping for black Friday/Cyber Monday deals but no joy. Shame as the other version has some good deals.

Advertisement