Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceiling Vapour Barrier required?

• 23-11-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi,

I am redoing the loft insulation in our kitchen ceiling.
    It's a studded out room sitting 50mm out from our old stonewalled, single pitched tin roof garage and the ceiling is just a flat TnG pine job with 100mm of fiberglass

I've bought 100 & 200mm earthwool & want to re-lay it all but there is no vapor barrier in place.

Do I need one? if so how would i do it as the ceiling is in place and has 6 down lights. (have bought thermal covers for these.

The ceiling has all been caulked and painted with 4 coats (2 primer/2 top coats)
    Would this act as vapor barrier?

thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

how are you installing the insulation? For above, removing the roof? Yes you have a vapour barrier in the warm side of the insulation. How you install it now, is down to how complete you can seal from the house to avoid condensation in the roof space/timber’s. If your insulating from above, could you go with rigid insulation over the joists (vapour barrier underneath), then breather membrane, vent space/battens and roof covering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Thanks Bryan,

There is an access hatch in to the attic and some crawl space. So i had planned to insulate there. The ceiling joists are at 400 centers and 100mm deep so had planned to put the 100mm earthwool between and the 200mm running acorss ways.

I don't know if there would be room to do the Ridgid option but might look in to it.
    Im guessing the vapor barrier is a nesessaty?
    Is the breather membrane just to stop debris from the roof?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just insulate and make sure you leave attic space ventilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

cheers, went with none and have left good room for ventilation.

Advertisement