Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted IP

Options
  • 23-11-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction on this....

I'm trying to get a car insurance quote from Bank of Ireland insurance website. The "Get a Quote" button has a padlock and when I click on it, it just tries to load for 30 seconds and then stops. I'm getting this on both my windows laptop and Android phone (both chrome)

I've tried all usual stuff around cookies/cache clearing. Same problem on Internet Explorer. Posted a thread on boards yesterday to see if this was happening to anyone else and another poster confirmed same issue. So I spoke to BoI who have not came back with anything to me yet.

I then rang my ISP, who said they routinely hear about this from customers trying to use online banking. He told me the problem is my IP is blacklisted. He gave me the address to check it and sure enough, from a long list of "anti spam databases" one of them has flagged my IP. (dnsbl.spfbl.net)

When I go to that URL, I can query my IP and I get the following;

No rDNS was found.
    "This IP has been flagged because have none valid FCrDNS.
    Register a valid rDNS for this IP, which points to the same IP.
    The rDNS must be registered under your own domain for you be able to delist it."

Is this a something I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

sabrewulf wrote: »
    You can use a proxy/vpn to access the site. This redirects your traffic through another server, so the site sees your visit coming from a different IP address.
    An easy and free way is using Google Chrome and installing the Hola plugin. Then visit the site, switch on Hola and change the country to anything non-Irish. (Unfortunately this only works on desktop. Hola for mobile exists, but does not work. Don't bother trying.)

Thanks will give that a try later.

I did try using a free proxy site earlier and sure enough it allowed me into the new quote section of the bank's site. But the problem was that certain dropdown menus dont seem to work because of the proxy. So I couldn't advance through the various pages of the quote.

My ISP told me that my IP should only last on a blacklist for a certain period of days/weeks. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Agricola wrote: »
    My ISP told me that my IP should only last on a blacklist for a certain period of days/weeks. Is this true?

That's correct as long as whatever caused you to be blacklisted doesn't reoccur in the meantime.
    Do a full system scan to make sure there isn't any malware on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can use a proxy/vpn to access the site. This redirects your traffic through another server, so the site sees your visit coming from a different IP address.
    An easy and free way is using Google Chrome and installing the Hola plugin. Then visit the site, switch on Hola and change the country to anything non-Irish. (Unfortunately this only works on desktop. Hola for mobile exists, but does not work. Don't bother trying.)

Don't use Hola, Google it to see the issues.

Careful using vpn, the bank might be twitchy seeing traffic coming from outside Ireland from certain countries. Opera browser has VPN built in you can turn on, I'd recommend it over most browsers now and for the last 10 years or so but as it's free it's slow and you have no control over what country it uses for the vpn only continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jesus.

tenor.gif?itemid=5026106

Lets suggest people put their financial details through some randoms
    end users computer. That's great advice. Not. This is the problem with asking for help on the internet.

OP, get your ISP to sort their ****, its normal to register for reverse lookups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Removed potentially dangerous advice. OP it is not recommended to use secure websites using untrusted VPN providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Getting this fairly regularly, using Three 4G for my home broadband.
    Happened again this morning, trying to access Ulsterbank online banking.
    A check shows no reverse DNS.

As mentioned the temptation is to use a VPN, but I'd much rather Three get their sh*t in order.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement