Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony KD55XF8796BU TV in HN/Currys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

https://pricespy.ie/audio-video/tvs/sony-bravia-kd-55xf8796bu--p4735448
    Seems like the chepaest price for that model any way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lawdie wrote: »
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/sony-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-kd55xf8796bu.html

Never really see great bargains in HN, is this a first. Also available in Currys same price, good for B&M stores.

Need to replace the 'old' plasma, ratings looks good, looking to use this with NVidia Shield Pro and might pick up a PS4 Pro if there's a bargain...

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sony/1407024/sony-kd-55xf9005-xf90x900f-review-is-this-the-best-mid-range-tv-yet

I would always welcome a better suggest

You have the wrong set linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

power city is also same price,

if you have a visa debit rewards activated by PTSB (and possibly AIB/BOI) you get 10% cashback for buying online from currys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Thats not the 55XF9005 you have linked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Sorry, i didnt spot that, i took the model from the link and not the title when comparing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Sorry guys! Some gremlins and was posting on the fly, I've updated it know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I actually just picked this up earlier today, cracking deal.
    5 years warranty in Harvey Normans too which is like 200+ on other TVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

5 years warranty in Harvey Normans too which is like 200+ on other TVs

Which is trumped by our consumer legislation anyway.

Selling ‘extended’ warranties is a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

endacl wrote: »
    Which is trumped by our consumer legislation anyway.

Selling ‘extended’ warranties is a scam.

Please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

bromley52 wrote: »
    Please explain.

You're entitled to a reasonable lifespan under consumer law.

It would easily be argued in the Small Claims Court that a €1,200 TV should have a lifespan of 5+ years at a minimum.

Obviously if your extended warranty covers accidental damage that's different, but paying €200 for an apparent extension of standard warranty is a waste of money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bromley52 wrote: »
    Please explain.

For starters, then read the forum threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291266

Nice one OP, i had actually bought this TV on Tuesday from HN as part of the Black Friday sale but for €949.

I've emailed HN now and they are happy to price match and return me the €50 difference.

Picking up the TV today, pretty interesting that it runs Android, being able to run Kodi on the TV is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

While we’re on the subject of scams in consumer electronics, when you buy your fab new telly, don’t be talked into buying a ‘superfast’ or ‘high definition’ HDMI cable. HDMI is an on/off protocol. It either works or it doesn’t. When it works, it works as well as HDMI can.

If you want to check if the salesmonkey is bull5hitting, ask them what HDMI stands for. Bet you won’t get an answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Currys a lot closer to me, is the tv linked to any better then these:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/s_action/compare/10186304-10177118-10178191-10178161.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

one of what i linked is the same tv. Anyone who knows something about tvs know which is best, all the same price. The LG reduced most for al thats worth (probably nothing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Balmed Out wrote: »
    one of what i linked is the same tv. Anyone who knows something about tvs know which is best, all the same price. The LG reduced most for al thats worth (probably nothing)

Yep, seems to be some good deals on LG - I've reserved a 43' in Curry's for €379, think it's pretty good. 43UK6470PLC

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I’m on the verge of buy the same tv in 49”
    Just wondering is it worth an extra €200 for the xf9005, that tv gets great ratings, but my head is melted from reading specs the last few days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Cilar

What's the big deal about it? It got very negative reviews on which. "Yet another disappointment from Sony"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Cilar wrote: »
    What's the big deal about it? It got very negative reviews on which. "Yet another disappointment from Sony"

Are we talking xf9005?

I’ve yet to read a bad review on it, please link if it is, because I’m trying to justify to jump in price.

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Are we talking xf9005?

I’ve yet to read a bad review on it, please link if it is, because I’m trying to justify to jump in price.

No, the TV in original post.

Actually, the xf9005 is getting a crap score on which as well, "Can't compete with the best" . There are other tv set 400e cheaper that get much better score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Are we talking xf9005?

Sony KD55XF9005BU got a score of 65% on Which.Can link as its a paid subscription.

Sony KD55XF8796BU got 62%.

LG 55SK8100PLA is scored 71% (Best buy) - it's at 850 euros at the moment (does not seem to be tagged as black friday deal), 400e cheaper than the sony mentioned above (its discount price).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

LG 49SK8500PLA gets 76% .I know its 49" and LCD(picture is supposed to be excellent per Which) but it gets great reviews.

€779 from Currys with a 5 year guarantee.

The top rated TV's between 48" and 60" gets 80% on Which,so that one above is in the top 6 and is hundreds cheaper than the others rated above it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Picked up the LG 43UK6470PLC today, didn't open it yet, but after a bit more digging I'm tempted to return it for the LG 43UK6950PLB which is a bit dearer but has better reviews and a magic remote, do you think currys would accept a return?

Advertisement