Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say if you're only playing the odd game here and there the GTX970 still has plenty mileage in it, even with that monitor most games should be alright at medium-ish settings.

If you stick with Nvidia you don't need a PSU upgrade at all, GTX1070Ti is now selling for about £370, faster than Vega 56, uses less power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could get a 4K monitor for similar/lower price - would actually have more pixels for working area.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Thanks for your input.

I went for a different monitor in the end.
    Black Friday sales demands fast decision making and I was not up to it.
    I prefer the plainer aesthetics of this one and I dont think I will miss HDR in a monitor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RJY7HH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to buying a 4k, well I like the idea of the 21:9 ratio.
    Also I wanted a monitor with a higher refresh rate as I do intend on a GPU upgrade at some stage, soon if the GTX 970 cant hack it.
    Looking at these benchmarks I not convinced if it will. I'm thinking the GTX 970 will be a couple of fps under the 1060 which seems to average about 60fps on medium.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/8319/ultrawide-gaming-3440x1440-benchmarks-what-performance-can-you-expect

The conclusion at the end is handy for estimating more recent benchmarks as 3440x1440 benchmarks are few and far between

But I will check out how the GTX 970 fares, probably with Battlefield 5 and keep my eye out for a good deal on a Vega 64, GTX 1080. 1070ti or 2070.

The best deal at the moment seems to be Vega 64 with three digital games for around £400.
    Do you think the benefit from FreeSync with a Vega 64 would make it better than a 1080?
    Is there way of selling the digital games?

Advertisement