Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend An Andriod Media Box?

• 23-11-2018 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Looking for a new android box for my elderly father, the old one got slower and slower and he finds it difficult to use the remote to type etc. so will want one with a keyboard remote for a new one.

I have a WD MyCloud (networked hard drive) set up with a few films etc. so I need it to be able to play all types of video files from this.
    And then just want to be able to set a basic Kodi set up for him?

Any suggestions?
    Budget up to 100 I'd say just once it's fast, the last one was painfully slow to respond.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Folks, please bear in mind the ban on discussion of obtaining media without paying the rights holders (no addons, iptv etc), see notice at top of forums.

/Mod Hat Off

For a really good standard Android box I'd recommend Minix, search online, they have their own site and forum, well supported, also available on Amazon. My experience of bricks and mortar shops here is that they're strongly overpriced on this brand. I'd recommend a U9-H box (http://minix.com.hk/products/neo-u9-h), its fast and capable, you can easily load Kodi and use it to play media from a hard drive as described in your post above.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use a couple of Tanix devices which have AMLogic 4 core CPUs (S905).

I have ordered a different brand, with updated CPU (S905x2) which is even faster so will hopefully be much better (not that I have any problems with the older units).

Price varies according to specs ...... from about $40 to $80 from China, so import duties etc will likely apply as well.

This page provides some idea what I mean (doesn't show the cheaper devices)

https://www.gearbest.com/S905X2-Beelink-_gear/

I use Kodi on all media devices including PCs, laptops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Neither of those run an official version of android likely to get any support through updates. They run a hacked version of touchscreen android from a tablet

This runs official Android Tv has official support for Netflix and Youtube in 4k and gets updates. Android Tv is build from the ground up to use with a simple d-pad remote on a large Tv screen.
    https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009147401641.html?wid=1349303

This is the old version on special offer
    https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_426056.html?wid=1349303&utm_source=tt_de&aid=171752

Neither of those run an official version of android likely to get any support through updates. They run a hacked version of touchscreen android from a tablet

This is really misleading as you know well.
    Android is open and anyone can use it and 'hack' it ..... 'hack' in this case means making changes to suit the provider's requirements.

What you refer to in the following paragraph is a specific 'hack' of the Android system, called AndroidTV OS.

One could just as easily start referring to Android being a 'hack' of Linux, and try to denigrate it as just another 'hack'.

This runs official Android Tv has official support for Netflix and Youtube in 4k and gets updates. Android Tv is build from the ground up to use with a simple d-pad remote on a large Tv screen.
    https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009147401641.html?wid=1349303

This is the old version on special offer
    https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_426056.html?wid=1349303&utm_source=tt_de&aid=171752

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Android is open and anyone can use it and 'hack' it ..... 'hack' in this case means making changes to suit the provider's requirements.

What you refer to in the following paragraph is a specific 'hack' of the Android system, called AndroidTV OS.

One could just as easily start referring to Android being a 'hack' of Linux, and try to denigrate it as just another 'hack'.

It's definitely correct to call any "Android tv box" running touchscreen centric software a hack. They are pure useless.

For an elderly person, definitely get a device that runs actual Android TV.

• Advertisement

It's definitely correct to call any "Android tv box" running touchscreen centric software a hack. They are pure useless.

More ageism!

How old is 'elderly' in your world?
    60 to 70?
    70 to 8-?
    80 to 90?
    90+?

Is there something specific about age that makes this 'elderly person' incapable of dealing with some specific devices?

I really am peed off reading this 'elderly' categorisation in relation to things technical.

One should remember that the majority of the present technical 'stuff' is based on what people of that generation (whatever age you might have chosen above) designed, developed and produced!

Ignorance of technology is not confined to any generation.

elderly father... and he finds it difficult to use the remote to type etc

The vast majority of elderly people are less willing to learn how to use complicated devices and have less exposure to that kind of technology.

Does everyone sentence about any topic have to be punctuation to take into account the tiny fraction of people who buck the trend? It's easier and faster to generalise.

elderly father... and he finds it difficult to use the remote to type etc
    will want one with a keyboard remote for a new one

The solution to that was already defined and is nowhere related to anything like the type of Android used in the device ...... simply getting a wireless keyboard with the device (of whatever type) is the proposed solution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

As almost an elderly person, can I request we stay on topic ? The OP asked for box recommendations, let’s keep to that, open a new thread for android version discussion if you want to explore that topic in your own space.

Ritz.

You can buy a wireless keyboard for a real Android TV device too, not that you'd need one.

If the budget is 100, the Mi Box s is a no brainier. There's no reason anyone should be buying any other junk, unless it's a dedicated Kodi box that boots straight to Kodi and does one thing only.

• Advertisement

@Johnboy1951 have you ever used or seen official Android TV? It's a whole different ballgame. Has its own set of apps that are designed for use with a D-pad remote, a big screen experience.

Android OS is a touchscreen OS, designed from the ground up for a touchscreen on a handheld device. Likewise it's a poor experience with a keyboard and mouse because it's designed for fat fingers

Mod Comment

the high horse brigade,

Please see my earlier request about keeping on topic:
    ....open a new thread for android version discussion if you want to explore that topic in your own space.

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

the high horse brigade,

Please see my earlier request about keeping on topic:

Ritz.

Sorry but I'm struggling to see how it's off topic comparing/explaining the differences between Android OS and Android TV OS which are both recommended earlier

Mod Comment

No need to struggle, I posted earlier on the thread asking for the thread to be kept on topic:

The OP asked for box recommendations, let’s keep to that, open a new thread for android version discussion if you want to explore that topic in your own space.

and repeated it with a reminder and direct request to you in my post above to open a new thread if you want to have a discussion about Android versions.

Keep this thread to answering the OPs request for a box recommendation, open a new thread if you want to discuss android versions.

If you have any queries about this, feel free to PM me, do not pursue the discussion on this thread which would only serve to bring it further off topic.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I got recently a zoomtak u pro 129 euro fast as lightning and easy to navigate, I am more than happy with it anyway

The Ritz wrote: »
    Keep this thread to answering the OPs request for a box recommendation, open a new thread if you want to discuss android versions.

Recommending a box is completely tied into what software the box runs. Most boxes have near identical hardware and what makes them different is the software they run.

Mod Comment

All,

If you have a recommendation for the OP, fire away and say what it is, regardless of which OS it runs.

If you want to conduct a discussion about different flavors of OS Android or otherwise, open a new thread and discuss away.

I’m at a loss why this should be so contentious, but this is the fourth and last time I’m posting this request on this thread - from here off-topic posts will be deleted and on there’s a ban for taking this thread further off topic by off topic discussion or persisting arguing the point.

Ritz.

The Amazon Fire TV is another contender

If you're considering using it for Netflix you need to read this:
    https://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/

Advertisement