Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

£89 Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC Matte Black (-50%) [Amazon]

• 23-11-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the non limited edition as a gift, which were £134 (and still are).

Had ruled these out as they were £180 until yesterday but this is a serious offer, already bought some. These are supposed to be the best mid-range noise cancelling headphones out there.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Went for them. Been deliberating for days which brand/type to go for.

seems like a great deal. now do I really need them - that is the question lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I bought them too. Some questionable reviews but with the way Sterling is and this deal. At just over ‎€100 they are an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Went for them too great deal thanks op

some reports of not being comfortable to wear for over an hour/2 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

glasso wrote: »
    some reports of not being comfortable to wear for over an hour/2 hours?

I read some of those reviews and watched some youtube reviews but most of the guys who used them for a little while said they just needed a some time to be broken in and after a couple of days they were fine. Most of the people posting over on HUKD who actually have a pair say the comfort level is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

These are a similar price and also get 4 star average with a much longer battery life. Anyone have a pair?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078VGQCZ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Don't know much about headphones would these be in comparison to beats?

Pinkman wrote: »
    These are a similar price and also get 4 star average with a much longer battery life. Anyone have a pair?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078VGQCZ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

comparison

seems like the senns have small earcups - may not suit bigheads!

from this review seems like the sony ones are better overall and have EQ sound changing ability via app but the senns look better and better built and better for watching video as latency better than sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have a pair of these, bought them refurbished from Sennheiser and love them.

Sound quality is very good, battery life great and I don’t find them uncomfortable at all. Although they are listed as over ear they are kind of in between that and on ear.

I don’t use them for commuting or anything and haven’t used them on flights or anything, I’ve been using them at home.

There’s no latency isssues with them so watching Netflix etc on your tv with them is fine and the sound quality again is excellent.

For the price they are a no brainer imo. You have to spend two and a half to three and a half times as much to go up in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

DID selling them for the same price

https://www.did.ie/sony-noise-cancelling-over-ear-wireless-bluetooth-headphones-blue-whch700nl-ce7-whch700nl-ce7-prd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

adox wrote: »
    I have a pair of these, bought them refurbished from Sennheiser and love them.

Sound quality is very good, battery life great and I don’t find them uncomfortable at all. Although they are listed as over ear they are kind of in between that and on ear.

I don’t use them for commuting or anything and haven’t used them on flights or anything, I’ve been using them at home.

There’s no latency isssues with them so watching Netflix etc on your tv with them is fine and the sound quality again is excellent.

For the price they are a no brainer imo. You have to spend two and a half to three and a half times as much to go up in quality.

That's all good to hear. I have Bose QC35s myself and I wear them at least 6 hours a day between work and commuting and only occasionally are they uncomfortable/too warm, these are a gift for herself for studying/working and she'd have smaller ears than me anyway.

Edit: These have gone back up to full price but now the non LE ones are reduced to £89, could have been an amazon mixup? Not marking expired as it's the same headphone in a different colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

So folks, complete newbie here, mid forties dude, I need them for walking and a bit of gym work with my S7, which one if any Senn or Sony ? Thanks all.

6541 wrote: »
    So folks, complete newbie here, mid forties dude, I need them for walking and a bit of gym work with my S7, which one if any Senn or Sony ? Thanks all.

you only have the choice of the sony now as the senns are back to full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

glasso wrote: »
    you only have the choice of the sony now as the senns are back to full price

Bit clumsy, as a previous poster mentioned also, they are still 89 for the black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

I have the Sony's and they are excellent for the price. I use them in the gym and flying and they are nice and light and very comfortable. The sound quality is excellent, noise cancelling is good but wouldn't be as good as Bose but then you are paying three times the price.

Edit: I'm in my mid forties as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

davegilly wrote: »
    I have the Sony's and they are excellent for the price. I use them in the gym and flying and they are nice and light and very comfortable. The sound quality is excellent, noise cancelling is good but wouldn't be as good as Bose but then you are paying three times the price.

Edit: I'm in my mid forties as well :)

I am thinking of getting the Sony ones mainly for flights. Is the noise-cancelling good on flights? Do they come with a case? I have a cheap Sony pair that came with a case but don't see any mention of it for these. Cheers.

shygal wrote: »
    Bit clumsy, as a previous poster mentioned also, they are still 89 for the black

my mistake. that's correct.

senns seem better built but the small earcups may not suit all. if you buy them you may be able to buy replacement 3rd party ones if they don't suit.

in that video review the guy says that the noise cancelling is similar between the senns and the sony.

other places say senns have better noise cancelling

with the sony you have an app to modify the sound with an eq. this works with streaming. with the senns apparently this is only possible with locally stored music

senns seem to have lower latency so better for watching movies/tv as there won't be a noticeable delay between what you see on the screen and the sound

some reports of sound bleed on the sony so for example on a bus/train others may hear what you're playing

senns probably better sound without noise cancelling on

senns come with soft case. sony none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

I am thinking of getting the Sony ones mainly for flights. Is the noise-cancelling good on flights? Do they come with a case? I have a cheap Sony pair that came with a case but don't see any mention of it for these. Cheers.
    I don't have a case nor do I remember it coming with one so I don't think so.

The NC is plenty good for a flight. You can listen to music/Netflix perfectly. It's not completely noise free but it's perfectly ok. Without having all the different brands and makes on the flight with me I wouldn't be able to compare them all so not sure how the Sony stacks up against others.

However comparer to my non NC earphones the difference is like night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd think you'd be much better with a pair of in ears for the gym. I'd get warm a sweaty enough without wearing a pair of overhead phones to ad to that!

I'd suggest the Creative Outlier Sports for exercising. I have the cheaper version of these and I'm very impressed with them. They are very secure and I've cycled with them and wear them working in the garden.

I bought the Sennheiser 4.50 SE last night even when the regular version were available. Reckon they look a bit more understated without the silver ascents. I may yet cancel them if they haven't shipped if a better offer comes up. Holding out for a good offer on the Senn Momentum Wireless but I'm very tempted to blow my budget and get the Sony XM2's

Ready and looked a lot of reviews and the 4.50 do pop on a lot of lists as one of the best budget NC headphones. Considered the Sony CH700N but the 4.50 look nicer, better built and have better noise cancelling. The 700's seem close enough on sound quality. The Senn 4.40BT that don't have noise cancelling are actually meant to sound better than the 4.50's and a nice bit cheaper.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/sony-wh-ch700n-vs-sennheiser-hd-4-50/650/476#usage*5003!threshold*0.1

Some good value on Sennheiser Outlet Store though I was hoping they'd have some extra discounts this weekend.
    http://outlet.se-shop.de/shops/list.php?category=0&welcome=1&outlet=outletuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Got these around the same price during purine day. Very happy with them. BC not as strong as Bose but they are good all rounder for the money.

Advertisement