Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall on top of one story extension

• 23-11-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question, both myself and my neighbour are planning on doing a permitted extension (one story) next year in our gardens. Both our houses have a balcony off the first floor room at the back of the house and it is my intention to leave this balcony untouched as part of my extension. My neighbour has mentioned to me that he is planning on removing his balcony rails as part of his extension and will just be looking to use the new roof as his balcony. I told him i didn't believe that this was allowed as per Permitted Extensions but he responded telling me that because he always has a balcony, technically he is not breaking any rules. He is just extending his balcony. The issue i have with this is that as part of this new "balcony" he is proposing to build a 6ft wall between our roofs for privacy. I do not want this at all (we currently have quite a lovely view that would be massively impacted by this wall) but his architect is under the impression this is permitted as he wont have railings around the roof initially but has already admitted that it is his intention to do so "in time". Do i have any control in this?

Any advance much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can I build a balcony / roof garden on my extension without permission?
    No - specifically excluded from exemption by Part 1, Schedule 2, Column 2, Condition 7.

(Page 156).

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can%20I%20build%20a%20balcony%20/%20roof%20garden%20on%20my%20extension%20without%20permission?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick question, both myself and my neighbour are planning on doing a permitted extension (one story) next year in our gardens. Both our houses have a balcony off the first floor room at the back of the house and it is my intention to leave this balcony untouched as part of my extension. My neighbour has mentioned to me that he is planning on removing his balcony rails as part of his extension and will just be looking to use the new roof as his balcony. I told him i didn't believe that this was allowed as per Permitted Extensions but he responded telling me that because he always has a balcony, technically he is not breaking any rules. He is just extending his balcony. The issue i have with this is that as part of this new "balcony" he is proposing to build a 6ft wall between our roofs for privacy. I do not want this at all (we currently have quite a lovely view that would be massively impacted by this wall) but his architect is under the impression this is permitted as he wont have railings around the roof initially but has already admitted that it is his intention to do so "in time". Do i have any control in this?

Any advance much appreciated.
    Thanks

He needs planning for what he wants to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Thanks for that guys. Do I have any control again the wall, even if and when he gets refused for the balcony although hopefully that'll be the end of that.

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The question is: regardless of the fact that he will never be able to use the flat roof as a balcony, if he decides to build a 6ft parapet wall on the boundary, is there anything stopping him?

I'm not sure there is.

Advertisement