Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT omsp half of market value

• 23-11-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

Looking at vrting a car, the omsp on revenue site is half of the market value for the car. The vrt is currently at 36% of their value. The car sale invoice would be approximately 6500 euro more than what revenue value the car at, so by the time the vrt would be paid the car would be costing double there value.
    My question is do they ask for more vrt if they see you paid more for your car than what they have it valued for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thadg wrote: »
    Looking at vrting a car, the omsp on revenue site is half of the market value for the car. The vrt is currently at 36% of their value. The car sale invoice would be approximately 6500 euro more than what revenue value the car at, so by the time the vrt would be paid the car would be costing double there value.
    My question is do they ask for more vrt if they see you paid more for your car than what they have it valued for?

They don't care what you paid for the car in another country. They value the VRT on what they think it is worth here, if there is a query around the value of the car here then request a value from Revenue. Just make sure you are putting in the correct car details into the VRT calculator correctly to arrive at that figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

bazz26 wrote: »
    They don't care what you paid for the car in another country. They value the VRT on what they think it is worth here, if there is a query around the value of the car here then request a value from Revenue. Just make sure you are putting in the correct car details into the VRT calculator correctly to arrive at that figure.

Thank you. Yes I have made sure of that, and by the time I will have the vrt paid here the car will be costing in and around what they are making here 21k approx. but vrt omsp is at 10k. I just don’t want them looking for 36% of 20k when they see the sales invoice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You could just blank out the cost price with a Marker*. They only want to see a receipt to show what date the Car entered the State.

*It doesn't matter what you paid for the car. some people purchase a car for way under it's value, some pay way over the odds. Not Revenue's concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you post some more details about the car, eg the stat code. Anomalies exist in the system so it’s entirely possible that you will be charged something completely different. Try changing it to a different trim level and see what they say it’s worth. If it’s double then you know somethings wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you post some more details about the car, eg the stat code. Anomalies exist in the system so it’s entirely possible that you will be charged something completely different. Try changing it to a different trim level and see what they say it’s worth. If it’s double then you know somethings wrong.

I don’t want to put up the model on here for obvious reasons but I can pm you. There is no higher spec for this car. It has its own model in the drop down menu and you state the mileage and gearbox. That’s it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

But when you go to VRT it, and it doesn't seem right, can they reassess if it appears obviously wrong?

My opinion on it would be the car is relativly expensive to run and has a niche market over here (based on the 36% VRT). Based off this, revenue put it in a (otherwise correct) high depreciation bracket.

But the sellers here are trying to protect their investment, so advertise high.

Can you PM me the car, I'd be interested to know. Thanks!

Advertisement