Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange clicking noise

Options
  • 23-11-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a new (1 month) pc build that is running fine and performing well. I get this strange clicking noise periodically (attached - very low volume) that seems to stop entirely when I am playing games. Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bemused wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a new (1 month) pc build that is running fine and performing well. I get this strange clicking noise periodically (attached - very low volume) that seems to stop entirely when I am playing games. Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Possible sticking head on hard drive. If you have a mechanical HDD (SATA or Non SSD) you should backup any mission critical data.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Possible sticking head on hard drive. If you have a mechanical HDD (SATA or Non SSD) you should backup any mission critical data.

I have my operating system on an SSD and only use the HDD for games. I may back up my saves though. I thought it is a HDD issue too but then why does it only happen sometimes and why does it disappear entirely when I'm gaming or running a demanding application?

I have my operating system on an SSD and only use the HDD for games. I may back up my saves though. I thought it is a HDD issue too but then why does it only happen sometimes and why does it disappear entirely when I'm gaming or running a demanding application?

The drive arm might struggle to move initially but once it does all works fine until it parks again.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The drive arm might struggle to move initially but once it does all works fine until it parks again.

Actually just took a more careful listen there and I am 99% that the sound is coming from the PSU - it's a seasonic focus plus gold modular unit.

So should I leave it alone until it fails (assuming I am not bothered by losing data on the drive) or replace it now?

Why don't you disconnect the power and data cables from it ans see if the clicking stops, just to confirm?

If it is the drive and your sure there's nothing mission critical on it, use it till it fails.

• Advertisement

Think I may have found the problem. My PSU has a button to allow for smart fan use. I switched that off and clicking (so far) is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Think I may have found the problem. My PSU has a button to allow for smart fan use. I switched that off and clicking (so far) is gone.

Possible the fan is operating at full whack during gaming so you can't hear it. Must be just dodgy bearing or something that you can only hear at lower revs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

clicking i would guessed hdd going on its way out but since you mentioned psu that could be the culprit, depending how long you had it wouldn't do harm to blast it with some compressed air to get all dust out, while you say it goes away still id imagine it should be pretty silent.

Advertisement