Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I be getting paid

Options
  • 23-11-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im further ed trained but teaching SEN in a school that is registered as primary. Im teaching students age 15 - 18 who are doing QQI.

Ive read somewhere that further ed and secondary teachers can only get paid for 22 hours work a week, im working 30 hours and wondering if I will not get paid for the full hours I work a week.

Im a new sub and still havnt been paid so I dont know how much I should get when I do get paid. I cant find any information online and ive tried contacting board of education but cant get through to anyone who can help.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

All SEN schools are registered as primary, however they can cater for 4-18 year olds. Primary, Secondary and Montessori (St. Nicholas trained) can teach in special schools and are paid as qualified teachers on a primary teachers payscale, and follow the primary school calender, i.e Sept-June, 9am-3.30pm. Teachers who are trained in further ed would I think be paid the unqualified rate, as this qualification is only recognised in a further ed setting (VTOS, BTEI, Youthreach, Community Adult education etc) at present. If you look the INTO website, I would imagine you will be paid the unqualified daily rate for primary teaching. DES website on payscales: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0051_2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BrokenMirror

CraftySue wrote: »
    All SEN schools are registered as primary, however they can cater for 4-18 year olds. Primary, Secondary and Montessori (St. Nicholas trained) can teach in special schools and are paid as qualified teachers on a primary teachers payscale, and follow the primary school calender, i.e Sept-June, 9am-3.30pm. Teachers who are trained in further ed would I think be paid the unqualified rate, as this qualification is only recognised in a further ed setting (VTOS, BTEI, Youthreach, Community Adult education etc) at present. If you look the INTO website, I would imagine you will be paid the unqualified daily rate for primary teaching. DES website on payscales: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0051_2018.pdf

Thank you so much, this was really helpful. Can I just ask, as im classified as unqualified does that mean I cant move up the pay scale if I continue subbing this position or other special needs schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Open to correction, and you should check with your union, but you won't move up a payscale, and will stay on the unqualified rate You also have very few rights, any permanent/ temporary positions will be given to qualified teachers. If you want to work in this area, be on an incremental payscale, you should look to doing a postgrad in either secondary or primary teaching. (primary qualification is looked at more favourably in my experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BrokenMirror

CraftySue wrote: »
    Open to correction, and you should check with your union, but you won't move up a payscale, and will stay on the unqualified rate You also have very few rights, any permanent/ temporary positions will be given to qualified teachers. If you want to work in this area, be on an incremental payscale, you should look to doing a postgrad in either secondary or primary teaching. (primary qualification is looked at more favourably in my experience).

Thanks for that, I did the further ed Hdip as I couldnt afford the expense of a two year masters, its frustrating as im equally trained as many of the teachers I work with as I have a 4 year undergrad +1 year hdip but its in further education, many of the teachers im working with completed their teacher training in the UK so dont have the two year masters but are on qualified pay, despite the fact im trained specifically to teach QQI which is what my students are working on.
    I will contact board of education and plead my case but im reaching if im expecting any hope of change.

Thank you for your help, its cleared allot up for me as ive found it very difficult to find the correct information.

Advertisement