Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready Player One Haptic Suit

Options
  • 23-11-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭

So let's pretend that it's a good few years into the future, and we now have a system like the suits in RPO. I don't mean something like the Oasis (which would be inevitable anyway), i mean the actual suit and treadmill and they work, properly with little to no delay. Let's say it works with every game these days. So you can play any game in full suit VR.

And I'm going to put some price points on it, just for the craic and completely made up!

VR Headset and Haptic Gloves (minimum required): €800
    IOI X0.5-Suit (gloves, arms, chest and legs): €1200
    IOI X1-Suit (full body with extra haptic feedback): €1500
    Treadmill: €1000

So who would splash out? I reckon I'd save up for the whole lot and splash out. Once you have it, you don't need any more. And I would happily pay €2300 for the immersion it would bring. Obviously, as we are talking hypothetically, the games have progressed and all look stunning in their own ways. So we won't get into the games themselves.

I really think RPO gave an insight into future gaming, and I'm all for it. While it would be great to have a full interactive room like Gamer, I think the set up in RPO is more realistic in the near-future.

Must watch it again, great film!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

****e film tbh.

No interest in VR and as an avid ED and A3* player I probably should but literally no interest in VR. The idea of having something on my head playing games just doesnt sit with me.

* I won an A2 competition and got a trackIR as a prize, i ****ing hated it. It just wasnt for me and VR is a step up from that, just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Screw that, gimme Nerve Gear instead. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As I've said elsewhere about VR I'm not interested in it. After a long day at work I want to come home, sit in a comfy chair and game with a mouse and keyboard and screen. I feel like VR is going to stay a niche way to game for a long time yet.

Having said that I'd take a holodeck type thing over a VR suit although again it would be a separate thing from gaming and it would have to come with Kira Nerys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A Holodeck is VR. Some people might refer to it as AR, augmented reality but its the same thing. When people think of VR, they think of a headseat but thats just because thats the best we can come up with so far. When holographic technology evolves a bit more, that is the VR we will be using.

So to say you have no interest in VR but would like a holodeck is a misnomer.

Advertisement