Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apt gas boiler timer switch

Options
  • 23-11-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anyone out there who can help. Just replaced an apt timer switch for a gas boiler. The dial on the old one had stopped rotating tho the little power light was still working. I was still able to manually make the boiler work by flicking the switch on the timer to "on" (which overrides the clock) Thinking it would be a straight forward task of replacing it with an identical apt timer switch to save confusion, I'm now in a position where the power indicator on the apt switch no longer lights up - altho it did initially until I turned the dial to correct the time. Worse still, it appears the light has gone off on the boiler system aswell. I read somewhere that I may have overtightened the small screws on the wires inside the Apt Timer Switch. Wondering if this is the case and how it can be rectified and if the new timer switch be ruined ? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes if its just feeding a boiler replace with another APT, which are about €20-25 in the wholesalers or a one zone time clock which will cost €40-€50. Most of the one zone time clocks will offer features such as boost and advance, which your APT doesn't offer currently.

Not a big job, but the person doing it does need to know what they are doing. Some boilers require a permanent live supply and a switched live supply, from the time clock. So the person needs to be able to read the current wiring configuration and connect in the new timer as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 erniebilko

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that just switching out the timer, placing the wires in exactly the same positions as the old timer, may not be enough as the boiler may need a constant power feed? If so, that could be my problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

erniebilko wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that just switching out the timer, placing the wires in exactly the same positions as the old timer, may not be enough as the boiler may need a constant power feed? If so, that could be my problem.

If you replace the timer with an identical unit and connect it exactly the same way it should work.

No offence intended, but judging by your question I think that you may require some assistance in which case I would suggest that you go for a higher quality digital type times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 erniebilko

I think my last text may have been misleading re boiler power supply. Anyway, yes I replaced the timer exactly as the old one. It worked for a few seconds then the power light went out. Perhaps time to go for a better timer switch. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

erniebilko wrote: »
    I think my last text may have been misleading re boiler power supply. Anyway, yes I replaced the timer exactly as the old one. It worked for a few seconds then the power light went out. Perhaps time to go for a better timer switch. Thanks for the replies.

A suggestion - some of the utility companies do offers where they will fit smart controls if you change tariffs to be with them:
    https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/nest-thermostat?_ga=2.227661917.133787947.1543054204-1535191964.1543054204

Do your own research about the costs but could be a handy way to get a better controller installed by a pro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement