Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

171 diesel dpf issues...trade in?

• 23-11-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Bought a 171 jetta highline in april 2017 on pcp. Love the car but i am only doing short town journeys on a regular basis. 18k on clock.Dpf light has come on 7 times already this year and is starting to grind me down. Its taking a longer journey each time for me to get it to go off and its coming on more frequently too. I am paying pcp of 250 a month with a final payment of approx 10k in april 2020 if i want to keep it. Feeling the urge to switch now. Obviously petrol or hybrid is probably the way forward for me. Any ideas of what i should go for? I Am open to going for 191 on pcp again or second hand. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

In vw range jetta is gone so passat or golf polo the other way? You could look at octavia in skoda. Is boot space essential?

If yes octavia or passat.
    If no golf, polo, troc, karoq.

Edit: your monthly are 250 so you had a high ish deposit. Expect 340 a month if switching to an octavia. 400 for passat. Less if you downsize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, are set on keeping a saloon type car or open to hatchbacks also. If you want another saloon then the new Toyota Corolla saloon will be available in hybrid form. I heard it's not going to be cheap though.

VW Passat is getting a makeover in mid 2019 too and getting a new 1.5 TSi petrol engine.

A corolla will be like getting into a Massey 135 after driving a VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lol. You cannot get more agricultural than a Jetta, a farmers best friend where a bail of hay is standard equipment for the boot.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol. You cannot get more agricultural than a Jetta, a farmers best friend where a bail of hay is standard equipment for the boot.

It’s just a golf with a boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Except that it’s made in Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Vaguely. It’s based on the now 14 year old MK5 platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

Massive boot to be fair and more spcious in back seats than a golf. Went over to vw dealer yesterday and offered 18k for jetta to trade in. 0% finance with golf highline and 1k trade in booster or 3.9% finance for t roc with no trade in booster. Not worth it. Repayments would go up and they want down payment of between 3 and 4 k also. Need to get out and drive more.

Doesn't make any difference to the Jetta's image though of being another farmhand's tool.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make any difference to the Jetta's image though of being another farmhand's tool.

Nothing wrong with being a farmers tool but I don’t think the Jetta is actually, go to the local mart you won’t see many or any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

wolfe wrote:
    Massive boot to be fair and more spcious in back seats than a golf. Went over to vw dealer yesterday and offered 18k for jetta to trade in. 0% finance with golf highline and 1k trade in booster or 3.9% finance for t roc with no trade in booster. Not worth it. Repayments would go up and they want down payment of between 3 and 4 k also. Need to get out and drive more.

You'll need to downsize to reduce monthly. That's the structure of the pcp deal given your deposit. Note that this will be the same when you reach your 3 year term so prepare now and save or accept higher monthly.

Nothing wrong with being a farmers tool but I don’t think the Jetta is actually, go to the local mart you won’t see many or any.

Not sure what part of the country your in but I see plenty of them down this way so the shoe fits alright. No better than Corollas.

Anyway this is just dragging the thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

OP, are set on keeping a saloon type car or open to hatchbacks also. If you want another saloon then the new Toyota Corolla saloon will be available in hybrid form. I heard it's not going to be cheap though.

VW Passat is getting a makeover in mid 2019 too and getting a new 1.5 TSi petrol engine.
    I heard the 1.5 TSI is gutless compared to the current 1.4.... emissions are better if that your gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

wolfe wrote: »
    Bought a 171 jetta highline in april 2017 on pcp. Love the car but i am only doing short town journeys on a regular basis. 18k on clock.Dpf light has come on 7 times already this year and is starting to grind me down. Its taking a longer journey each time for me to get it to go off and its coming on more frequently too. I am paying pcp of 250 a month with a final payment of approx 10k in april 2020 if i want to keep it. Feeling the urge to switch now. Obviously petrol or hybrid is probably the way forward for me. Any ideas of what i should go for? I Am open to going for 191 on pcp again or second hand. Thanks.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do one way or another, but have you tried to get a diagnostics run on your car? Might be worth paying a few quid to get it checked out and fixed...For sure any dealership taking it in will allow for DPF Repair / Replace, and drop its value as a trade in. Just an idea IMHO, but worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not sure what part of the country your in but I see plenty of them down this way so the shoe fits alright. No better than Corollas.

Anyway this is just dragging the thread off topic.

A new high of agrueing which is more farmery a Jetta or a Corolla!!

Both only surpassed in farmery terms by a 2005 landcruiser.

(Or a carina e / vento (jetta))

Advertisement