Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook pudding

• 24-11-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

How do I cook pudding, I mean white or black pudding. This may seem silly but some pudding I buy will fry on the pan without falling apart other pudding will turn into mush whether i put it in the oven or fry it or grill it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

How do I cook pudding, I mean white or black pudding. This may seem silly but some pudding I buy will fry on the pan without falling apart other pudding will turn into mush whether i put it in the oven or fry it or grill it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Usually grill it without having any problems. If it’s falling apart it’s probably how it’s made. Still tastes good though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭stevek93

Usually grill it without having any problems. If it’s falling apart it’s probably how it’s made. Still tastes good though. :rolleyes:

Yes the one that falls apart there does be a sea of grease oozing from it while it cooks but soooo tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Puddings have a range of consistencies, some grainy, others smoothly blended. The grainy ones are more likely to fall apart. However the key to preventing this is to get your pan nice & hot before you put the pudding in it. Don't move it about or prod it. Let it develop a light crust on the bottom before flipping gently & cooking the other side. Same if grilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I fry it and have never had an issue. Usually get Clonakility black and white pudding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭stevek93

bee06 wrote: »
    I fry it and have never had an issue. Usually get Clonakility black and white pudding

Yes thats a type of pudding I find doesn't fall apart, the one I buy is made buy the local butcher and is unique I will ask him what is the best way to cook it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you have a George foreman type thing you could cook it in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just grill it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Slice it little thick fry it each side on hot pan.

Like most things if pan is already hot it will give it nice texture on outside and still be soft inside won't turn to mush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

stevek93 wrote: »
    the one I buy is made buy the local butcher and is unique I will ask him what is the best way to cook it.

Does it have a skin on it? If so, leave it on while cooking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A good sharp knife to cut it is essential I find and I’d agree that the slices need to be thick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does it have a skin on it? If so, leave it on while cooking

I wouldn't recommend this at all.
    Most skins will shrink when heated, squeezing the middle of the slice, causing it to disintegrate.
    Perhaps some skins don't do this but in my experience, most do.

OP, some puddings are just very lose and prone to breaking up. If you particularly like a pudding like this, then you mostly just have to put up with this. Alternatively, find a firmer pudding that you like.
    Tips here like not prodding it, having the pan/grill hot and slicing carefully with a sharp knife will all help but I find that if it's one of "those" puddings, there's not much you can do but embrace it.

I like both types.

BTW, pudding, when you buy it, is already cooked, so you don't have to worry about it being undercooked. You just want to heat it and crisp it a bit.

I love black pudding!

Advertisement