Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration HDD to SSD Advice

Options
  • 24-11-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,

In my current PC I have two 1TB spinning hard drives, both of which are partitioned into two 500GB 'virtual' drives. Anyway, I just ordered two Samsung 500GB solid state drives. After chrimbo I intend to purchase two more of these SSDs to replace all 4 spinning HDDs.

I'd appreciate any advice on migrating my current installation of Win7-64bit onto an SSD and then the 3 other spinning HDDs onto respective SSDs. I know there is software to do this but has anyone tried it ? Best software, How viable/reliable is the process etc. Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

H./

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any particular reason you want to migrate your windows install rather than just reinstall? I'd just reinstall onto the new drive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

I got an 860 Evo a couple of months ago and it was all pretty simple.Samsung magician is the software your thinking about,after the cloning you choose your new root drive from the bios screen on startup of your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

Clonezilla can do what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd second just doing a clean install of Windows.

What's the other data? Media? Games?

Any media you have will be fine staying on the spinning hard drives but if you do want on SSDs, I'd use one SSD for Windows and other software. 500GB would be fine for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I would third doing a new install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hansanter

Yes, making a fresh install of Win7 is the best option but I really don't want to have to re-install so much of my own software afterwards. I have lots of different interests from graphics, game development and electronics etc and so lots of software etc along with them. However, I may actually bite the bullet and go the fresh install route, if I do that I think I'll stick with Win7-64bit.

It's the samsung 860 Evo 500Gb that I ordered. I'd like to phase out my HDDs as some years ago, two failed on me (thank you Seagate), one of which I needed to spend a around €400 to have the data professionally retrieved from it... successfully thankfully. So, since then I've always had a little worry about that happening again... despite backing up (yes, lesson learned.. sorta).

I used to do a fresh OS install every 18-24 months but this current install is on there 3 or 4 years so maybe it is time to bite the bullet ? I may also take the opportunity while I'm at it to give the PC a good internal cleaning :/

Advertisement