Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB audio input problem - help please

Options
  • 24-11-2018 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a radio which outputs audio via USB.
    My laptop can receive it just fine but my desktop cant for some reason.
    Both running Windows 10 64 bit.

The laptop receives the USB audio just fine, I can see this here...
    Sounds: Recording Tab: USB Audio Codec which shows audio activity (green bars showing audio level)

However my desktop PC does not show green bars to indicate audio.
    The audio codec mic device appears when I plug in the USB device, this is the same as the Laptop.

I have tried updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting and reloading the device but nothing works.

One last strange thing, when I select "listen to this device" then it seems to work and shows green bars and audio is related to the speakers ... only it doesn't work right because my applications wont recognize.

Any ideas? could this be a motherboard issue? or software setting?

Thanks
    Ray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Found something but not sure what this means..
    Under device manager, the event viewer for the device displays this message:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{65ed0ab3-8f39-493d-94f7-e88560ced784} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{5562daef-1e16-44d7-8649-a16c67bba6b9}
    Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
    Present: false

the statement ' was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match ' doesn't look good does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

think issue with desktop that you might have more then one audio driver installed, my pc has like couple realtek, sound cinema, nvidia etc which causes issues when not sorted properly, message in the error would indicate that simillar driver exists and prob clashes with one on your pc.simple solution to check would be to disable on of the drivers at the time from device manager and see if its sorts it and move from there.

Thanks scamalert,
    Good suggestion but alas its did't work for me.

I can disable all other audio devices but the problem remains.
    I also tried to uninstall all the other devices, but after a reboot Win10 cleverly (and annoyingly) decides to re-load them without asking.

I'm stumped with this one, considering a re-install of Win10 bur dreading having to re-load all my apps & programs.

it was top of my head but seems standard way to troubleshot, only one other way that comes to mind is using safe mode without networking, try to install that way, if fails uninstall or disable audio drivers and try again, just have backup drivers for your integrated audio if going uninstall route. And check website for you radio drivers if theres updated version.

also might try disabling MS auto driver install like described below GL :

1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
    2. 2. Make your way to System and Security.
    3. Click System.
    4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
    5. Select the Hardware tab.
    6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
    7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your desktop likely has more than one USB controller. Try a different one.

• Advertisement

Thanks both,
    I just tried these suggestions (good ideas too) but still nothing.

Disabling MS auto install allowed me to install the driver from the radio supplier (Icom), which seemed promising at first but the problem persisted.
    I also tried my USB 3 ports instead of my USB 2 ports to no avail.

So I've emailed Icom to see if they can help, but they will most likely say it's a PC issue.

I'm starting to suspect a motherboard fault, no real reason, but when you ruling everything else out...

more like compatibility issue tbh, if it works on your laptop and message from event logs suggest smth wrong with drivers.

it seems common issue for those that had their windows upgraded from previous versions that they have similar errors looking online.

is there any icon in device manager under device when you plug in yellow triangle etc ? also under sound devices how is it recognized you mentioned something about microphone which doesnt really match device.

few screenshots would give better idea if you can upload messages and windows you have when device is plugged in to give better idea what devices drivers are used by the system.

Ok, SOLVED it with input from another user forum for Icom radios.

The solution was simple in the end , as it always is :-)
    Under privacy settings, allow apps to access the mic, that's all.
    I had obviously disabled this setting somehow.

Thanks lads, and hope this post helps someone else.

Advertisement