Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal ground handling accident Dublin

Options
  • 24-11-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭

Very serious accident happened a little time ago at DUB involving a ground worker and the Air France Cargo, really hope the poor chap can pull through, thoughts are with him and his family and co workers at this time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

billie1b wrote: »
    Very serious accident happened a little time ago at DUB involving a ground worker and the Air France Cargo, really hope the poor chap can pull through, thoughts are with him and his family and co workers at this time

whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Poor lad fell from the cargo hold of the 777, we’re hearing now that he has passed away, god love the poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Poor lad fell from the cargo hold of the 777, we’re hearing now that he has passed away, god love the poor chap.

what height is that? poor chap

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what height is that? poor chap

15-20ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

I know the world is full of if's and but's. That Air France was diverting to Shannon from where it was holding at Knock and got to around the Galway city area when Dublin opened and decided to go for Dublin. If only it had gone to Shannon. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

masit wrote: »
    I know the world is full of if's and but's. That Air France was diverting to Shannon from where it was holding at Knock and got to around the Galway city area when Dublin opened and decided to go for Dublin. If only it had gone to Shannon. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

That's exactly what I thought too.

He was probably sitting on the ramp in Dublin delighted that it was diverting to Shannon and then this happens a few minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

That's exactly what I thought too.

He was probably sitting on the ramp in Dublin delighted that it was diverting to Shannon and then this happens a few minutes later.

Ah jesus, poor man.
    RIP, and condolences to his family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Why is an Air France 777 in Dublin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

adam88 wrote: »
    Why is an Air France 777 in Dublin ??

It was Air France Cargo 777, a semi-regular visitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hearing from an airport worker it was a 64 year old male who was involved with training staff, very sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

May he Rest In Peace. The ramp is a dangerous place and all airport workers will feel the loss. Unfortunately not the first to pay the ultimate price. Hopefully in due time his death will
    Lead to a safer workplace for everyone and that can be his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I can't go into details for obvious reasons but one of my siblings worked with poor chap who passed away. He was very well liked as evidenced by the tears being choked back as I was told what happened.

May this well liked, immensely popular and much loved gentleman rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It was Air France Cargo 777, a semi-regular visitor.

It is a weekly scheduled cargo service ORD-DUB-CDG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was near the scene today. The response to tend to him was very quick but the word was soon going around that it was very serious, possibly fatal. Very sad to hear that his death was confirmed ; the chap was well known around the airport and he was well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Knew the man personally was a great trainer and would always put a smile on your face I still can’t believe he’s gone Rest In Peace Mate

The 777F is still present at Dublin, cordoned-off and with cargo doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The gardai had crime scene tape in place within minutes, cordoning off the aircraft and the ground equipment entirely.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The gardai had crime scene tape in place within minutes, cordoning off the aircraft and the ground equipment entirely.
    45131523165_44b16eef6c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Has the man been named yet?
    I know a few people from the old Servisair days.

• Advertisement

Has the man been named yet?
    I know a few people from the old Servisair days.

I saw a name mentioned on Facebook but I don't know if it is OK to post here. A 64 year old man who is a trainer.

I saw a name mentioned on Facebook but I don't know if it is OK to post here. A 64 year old man who is a trainer.
    No don't, I'll find out another way but the person I knew certainly fits the profile, a truly nice person well respected and known by many. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many many friends in DUB, an absolute gentleman every time I met him.

No don't, I'll find out another way but the person I knew certainly fits the profile, a truly nice person well respected and known by many. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many many friends in DUB, an absolute gentleman every time I met him.

That seems to fit in with exactly what was said elsewhere.

Just had it confirmed in a PM, I’m really shocked and saddened at this news.
    I hadn’t seen him for quite a number of years but I remember him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

masit wrote: »

Hi can some body explain the significance of the diversion to this accident please?

Rip to the poor fellow and condolences to all who grieve now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hi can some body explain the significance of the diversion to this accident please?

Rip to the poor fellow and condolences to all who grieve now.

No significance, just one of those ‘what if it had have happened’ type things.
    The AF cargo was due into DUB but the Radar went down, it was holding for a good bit and then was in it’s initial routing to SNN as a diversion but the radar came back on line and the turned back towards DUB cancelling their diversion to SNN.
    So it’s one of those ‘what if’ moments.
    RIP to SNIP and condolonces to all his family, friends and co-workers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The only significance of the diversion is that if the aircraft had ended up in Shannon, the crew that were scheduled to deal with it would not have been doing so, or would have been handling it a lot later in the day, which could have made all the difference to this tragic accident.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gutted, I just discovered who the gentleman in question is. It has been published online. He will be well known to many. The NICEST most hardworking, diligent, safety focused guy. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. In 2005 when I began on the ramp, even though i was working for a company who contracted Swissport or Servisair back then he always looked out for me, as he did EVERYONE from every aspect. RIP sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

News is he was due to retire shortly also. Poor man. An acquaintance was there at the time, he's really not himself for witnessing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

I didn’t know this gentleman at all but I used to work with his son, in a completely different area it should be said. My ex-colleague clearly took after his father as he too was an out an out gentleman. I’m very sorry to hear this news and pass on my sympathies and condolences to the entire family. Very sad news indeed.

Advertisement