Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v USA | Joe Schmidt 36 hour speculation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't think it will happen, but I'll still cross every available extremity that the IRFU come back with a last minute "no YOU shut the f*** up" money offer to keep him.

And it'd be worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

https://twitter.com/RTErugby/status/1066432477118455808?s=20

Just for those who haven't seen yet. I think everything about his tone, body language and struggle to answer the question without giving up the ghost suggest it's done. This is his last November series for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's gone. Quite clearly has been gone in his head for a while now.

Hope I'm wrong but if I'm right it's been a privilege having him in Irish rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Bye Joe, it was class...

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's gone. Quite clearly has been gone in his head for a while now.

Hope I'm wrong but if I'm right it's been a privilege having him in Irish rugby

Yeah, changed it forever. I can't see us sliding into mediocrity interspersed with flashes of hope from brilliant individuals.

He's built a system out of granite that will outlast him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He's been gone for a few months - just waiting on an appropirate time to say it.

And sure, was'nt he always going to go somewhere at some point anyway.
    He's done exceptionally well and hopefully left his mark on the people he has coached with and been around which can only be good for Irish rugby in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That moment of hesitation where he tries his best not to let it slip was like the clip of Ralph Wiggum where he gets his heart broken and they just replay it over and over again in slow motion.

So long, sweet prince.

You know - this could be also be a stubborn game of brinkmanship coming down to the wire. Not a whiff of where Schmidt might be going and perhaps there is a number that the IRFU are just struggling with.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

You know - this could be also be a stubborn game of brinkmanship coming down to the wire. Not a whiff of where Schmidt might be going and perhaps there is a number that the IRFU are just struggling with.

I wish that was so but nah, :(

Normally I'd say you're just being hopelessly optimistic but when you think about it, this is exactly the act I'd put on if I wanted public pressure to mount on the IRFU to make it rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

As POC said on the radio the other night, the IRFU need to make it financially irresponsible for him to leave!

Sure they just got €27m in the bank for a bit of land. Give Joe an extra mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

troyzer wrote: »
    Normally I'd say you're just being hopelessly optimistic but when you think about it, this is exactly the act I'd put on if I wanted public pressure to mount on the IRFU to make it rain.

For feck sake lads stop giving me hope. In the end its the hope that kills you :(

Joe is gone. We shall not see his like again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

But he's going to go.

Look at it this way, every coach has a shelf life, some last longer than others, but eventually a coach will run out of ideas within a group. Joe has already lasted longer than most. But even then he replaced Plumtree with Farrell and he oversaw a rebuild of the team which has probably helped prolong his lifespan.

Joe leaving after 2019 may be the best thing for all concerned. He won't outstay his welcome. And before people say that would never happen...history tells us otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

If the All Blacks don’t offer him the job, can see England trying to tempt him with a huge financial offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Gonad wrote: »
    If the All Blacks don’t offer him the job, can see England trying to tempt him with a huge financial offer.

He’ll get the All Blacks job simply because he’s available and too good for them not to take. And the timing is right with Hansen making his announcement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

It was this weekend 5 years ago we lost to NZ in Dublin, in that game. A post reminder popped up on my Facebook today, ‘welcome to the Joe Schmidt era, I’ll be having some more of that!’ I think I was just trying to be positive after a heartbreaking defeat. It looks like the era is coming to an end. Notwithstanding this, there is a lot of rugby to be played between now and the World Cup final. We must bear this in mind. The time to analyse the era is when Joe is gone, not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Scott Robertson to move upto the All Blacks camp and Schmidt to take over Crusaders with ROG.

That's actually a good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If Joe becomes All Blacks coach one day I think I'll be pretty happy with what Ireland could do for him. Considering how long he's been here, what level he was at when he arrived, and the fact that he went down the convention centre one day and swore allegiance - I think of him as one of us now.

He won't owe us anything, but at the same time we've mutually benefited. Joe is probably the most powerful head coach in Rugby. Only Steve Hansen can rival how much he controls his players and provinces, but even Steve Hansen can't pick players overseas. Joe can.

More telling choice of words. Emphasising his apparently minor role within a large collective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

errlloyd wrote: »
    If Joe becomes All Blacks coach one day I think I'll be pretty happy with what Ireland could do for him. Considering how long he's been here, what level he was at when he arrived, and the fact that he went down the convention centre one day and swore allegiance - I think of him as one of us now.

He won't owe us anything, but at the same time we've mutually benefited. Joe is probably the most powerful head coach in Rugby. Only Steve Hansen can rival how much he controls his players and provinces, but even Steve Hansen can't pick players overseas. Joe can.

Who was the last overseas player Joe called up? Jonny Sexton?

He's definitely staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I wonder how fast we can collectively go through the five stages of grief ... before Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I wonder how fast we can collectively go through the five stages of grief ... before Monday.

I think it's going to be a slow, drawn out process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He said he has to think about it today. Today is decision day.

But really, we know the gist. And its really just about the timing. Because Ireland is getting Steve Hanson, and the detail is in the scheduling for them to swap jobs.

Thats what he will explain to us tomorrow. Returning to NZ for personal reasons, and the dream of coaching his own country, Irish rugby in a good state, and Hanson is a terrific coach who he is sure will take Ireland up a level and make his particular contribution beyond what he, Joe, has been able to do,but first we have a six nation and world cup to prepare for and this is his focus and getting all his attention, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

bilston wrote: »
    But he's going to go.

Look at it this way, every coach has a shelf life, some last longer than others, but eventually a coach will run out of ideas within a group. Joe has already lasted longer than most. But even then he replaced Plumtree with Farrell and he oversaw a rebuild of the team which has probably helped prolong his lifespan.

Joe leaving after 2019 may be the best thing for all concerned. He won't outstay his welcome. And before people say that would never happen...history tells us otherwise...

Exactly this. Great coach and gentleman as well. No matter what happens between this and world cup (great things I hope) he will be remembered as on of the greats of Irish rugby. Not only that but he has been involved in ensuring the future of Irish rugby with the system that is in place. Always leave the crowd wanting more. Thanks Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

clsmooth wrote: »
    The second row , beirne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ELM327 wrote: »
    The second row , beirne
    Tadhg Beirne didn't get capped until he was finished with Scarlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I went to the game and I must say that I really enjoyed it.
    Ringrose looked like he was playing against a group of under 14's....he just oozes class.
    Addison is another who glides when he has the ball and seems to have an extra second than all those around him.
    It was more a run out for the rest of the team...I'm going to say that a lot of these guys have had tougher European games than last night's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Miami Dolphins is what I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If he stays that will be the time to retire the Borat GIF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

He has achieved everything he can really achieve in Ireland at this stage bar a World Cup. Look at what he has won since he arrived in 2010.

2 Heineken Cups
    1 Pro 12
    1 Challenge Cup
    3 6 Nations
    1 Grand Slam
    1 SH series win
    2 wins v New Zealand
    Victories over every other tier 1 team (including away wins v every 6 nations team, Argentina, South Africa and Australia)

All he's missing is coaching the Lions

Honestly I think he should go straight into the AB job. With that level of success over 8 years it would be a waste of his talent putting him in a Super Rugby franchise.

Edit surely he must be a shoe in for World Rugby Coach of the Year today too. I know a lot of the spotlight has been on Sexton for player of the year but he's head and shoulders over all other coaches this year, including Hanson

P_1 wrote: »
    He has achieved everything he can really achieve in Ireland at this stage bar a World Cup. Look at what he has won since he arrived in 2010.

2 Heineken Cups
    1 Pro 12
    1 Challenge Cup
    3 6 Nations
    1 Grand Slam
    1 SH series win
    2 wins v New Zealand
    Victories over every other tier 1 team (including away wins v every 6 nations team, Argentina, South Africa and Australia)

Honestly I think he should go straight into the AB job. With that level of success over 8 years it would be a waste of his talent putting him in a Super Rugby franchise.

Edit surely he must be a shoe in for World Rugby Coach of the Year today too. I know a lot of the spotlight has been on Sexton for player of the year but he's head and shoulders over all other coaches this year, including Hanson

There's an award for best men's 15s team. You have to imagine Ireland are a shoe in for that as well.

I think he will go, but especially if we win the WC

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think he will go, but especially if we win the WC

He's announcing his decision tomorrow so unless they just hand us the Web Ellis tomorrow that won't play a part in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

P_1 wrote: »

2 Heineken Cups
    1 Pro 12
    1 Challenge Cup
    3 6 Nations
    1 Grand Slam
    1 SH series win
    2 wins v New Zealand

The Lions is not much more than a corporate jaunt.

What's he's done with Irish rugby is vastly more relevant and impressive than what anyone has ever done with the Lions.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Whilst I know he's going and I've accepted* it...

I keep going back to the idea that he's taking over from Nucifora.

Oh the hope will kill ya.

*May not be true

He's announcing his decision tomorrow so unless they just hand us the Web Ellis tomorrow that won't play a part in it

I mean if he announces he is staying, he will probably leave after a victorious WC anyway

He's definitely going...

...to stay.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He's definitely going...

...to stay.

With his decision to leave

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I heard he has been managed out by Nucifora.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think everyone has just had enough of his conservative favouritism to keep picking the players he worked with during his Leinster years. Just look at last weeks team. There were four - FOUR! - of them on the starting team. Thats just outrageous bias, and is holding Irish rugby back at this stage. Those who spotted this weakness he has for his old pals early on, have been proven right.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Anyone know where to watch world rugby awards ?

I think everyone has just had enough of his conservative favouritism to keep picking the players he worked with during his Leinster years. Just look at last weeks team. There were four - FOUR! - of them on the starting team. Thats just outrageous bias, and is holding Irish rugby back at this stage. Those who spotted this weakness he has for his old pals early on, have been proven right.

The fact it wasn't a complete Munster pack in the second half was a complete joke. Obvious South Dublin schools bias from Joe picking HIS players.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

They are being streamed from World rugby channel on YouTube horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Its pretty painful stuff so far. Imagine blazerville meets an Alan Partridge style corporate video

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Random Bloke

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1122/1012643-watch-the-world-rugby-awards/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ireland World Team of the Year.

Well deserved.

After winning coach of the year, I really hope for something like this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

clsmooth wrote: »

CJ Stander and Bundee Aki...?

*runs* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

NICE!!

Advertisement