Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v USA | Joe Schmidt 36 hour speculation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He hasnt taught since 2003 in New Zealand. His service to the education system should be irrelevant. He could get freedom of Dublin but what more?
    Did he not teach when he was over here in his younger days? Mullingar iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That would make him now more worthy for an education award than any other teacher with an interest in sport.

The way some people are going on you'd think he ended world hunger or something and deserves a Nobel prize. True he ended the beating the all blacks famine and is a great rugby coach, but it is up to the rugby fraternity to honour him tbh, not the State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He did for a year or less in Wilsons Hospital but .... what MrMusician18 says
    That would make him now more worthy for an education award than any other teacher with an interest in sport.

The way some people are going on you'd think he ended world hunger or something and deserves a Nobel prize. True he ended the beating the all blacks famine and is a great rugby coach, but it is up to the rugby fraternity to honour him tbh, not the State.
    +1. Exactly. An excellent coach but people are talking as if he did something far more than be an excellent rugby coach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I would love an "illuminated scroll". Especially one given by "Lord Mayo".

I personally prefer Lord Salad Cream. Mayo is tasteless slop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He did for a year or less in Wilsons Hospital but .... what MrMusician18 says

+1. Exactly. An excellent coach but people are talking as if he did something far more than be an excellent rugby coach

ahem

Jack Charlton received freedom of Baile Athá Cliath did he not?

Was he more than a football coach?

I was pointing out that he had taught here. Read my post a few times, but can't find where I said he'd be due an education award, Nobel prize or ended world hunger.

Edit: Found this photo of Joe and his wife Kellie from back then

joe-schmidt-mullingar-i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Any recognition for him has to wait until after, and to some degree, depends on Irelands result, at the world cup. Clive Woodward got a Knighthood, and we would have to give Joe the same if he won it. Possibly even if he only got us to the final, on his overall contribution to Irish rugby. But that would hint at devaluing SCW's award. If not a knighthood, then certainly a lesser decoration no matter what the WC result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »
    He's definitely going to turn out to be a serial killer though.

There's a fine line between pschopath serial killer and revolutionary hero. Usually it lies in the winning losing of the cause. To my mind Hitler was a hero for Catholics.

Ah here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

There's a fine line between pschopath serial killer and revolutionary hero. Usually it lies in the winning losing of the cause. To my mind Hitler was a hero for Catholics.

And the list gets longer. Some very odds posts from yourself.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »

And the list gets longer. Some very odds posts from yourself.

Hitler is "one of his".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just when you think you're having a bad day, posting sh1te that makes zero sense, Heymans comes along to save the day and take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think every University has bestowed him with an honorary degree at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Genuinely think there should be a massive statue of Schmidt at the top of O'Connell street, or better again, at the foot of the Spire. Couldn't give a phuck about the WC. I'm living the dream after beating the ABs twice in three years. Everything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sure didn't the Nazi's love a bit of the old persecution against Catholics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Very forward thinking when it came to animal welfare though.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Sure didn't the Nazi's love a bit of the old persecution against Catholics.

I don't think that's correct at all

It's definitely off topic however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct at all

It's definitely off topic however

Tis, they wanted to "dechristianize" Germany, and murdered a lot of church leaders and activists.

But anywhoo.

#Joe4Prez

Just when you think you're having a bad day, posting sh1te that makes zero sense, Heymans comes along to save the day and take over.
    Yep. You're officially off the hook. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

back on topic now please

Tis, they wanted to "dechristianize" Germany, and murdered a lot of church leaders and activists.

But anywhoo.

#Joe4Prez

Interesting - another thing about Nazi Germany I'll have to read about then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

hqdefault.jpg

Joe!....Joe!!, come back Joe!!!
    They're all gone mad talking about the Nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

BBDBB wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Joe!....Joe!!, come back Joe!!!
    They're all gone mad talking about the Nazis

Maybe Shaggy will be on the coaching team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

This thread has gone weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

33nhzba.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah jaysus, it wouldn't have broke the bank to afford Joe a couple of more pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Unbelievable stuff. I’m crying

33nhzba.png

That is a war crime.

When you begin to realise that half the boards rugby regulars are also 4channer's!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The 38th Amendment to the Constitution Bill 2018.

Bunreacht na hÉireann > FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS > PERSONAL RIGHTS:

"40.2.1° Titles of nobility shall not be conferred by the State except for JOE SCHMIDT, obviously;"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

giphy.gif

This took waaay longer to make than it should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

giphy.gif

This is so amazingly useful. Thank you much.

SmartSelect_20181118-181506_YouTube.gif?download&psid=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

giphy.gif

Shades of:

CD48FyWWAAANlW2.jpg

(One for the NFL fans!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It's in the IRFU's statement:

"Joe Schmidt has today announced that he will finish coaching following the Rugby World Cup in Japan next year. Andy Farrell will become head coach after the tournament. Speaking about his decision to finish coaching Joe Schmidt said: 'I have decided to finish coaching and will prioritise family commitments after the RWC in 2019.'"

Assuming it’s a direct quotation, he’s giving up completely. If the quote read: “I have decided to step down from the role of Ireland head coach and will prioritise family commitments after the RWC in 2019” you could interpret it differently. Joe chooses his words very carefully so prioritising family commitments could be as vague as managing a team in NZ. I think I read that his elderly mother is back there too.

I wish Joe and his family every success in the future. He’s a remarkable man and by all accounts a real gent. He was lucky too, blessed by quality players in both Leinster and Ireland and had plenty of control. Not too many other rugby coaches had/have that luxury!

Maybe he’ll come back in a few years to replace David Nucifora. The IRFU are obviously keen on succession planning and no better man for the job!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    The Freedom of the City of Dublin is awarded by Dublin City Council after approving a person nominated by the Lord Mayor. Eighty-two people have been honoured under the current process introduced in 1876. Most honourees have made a contribution to the life of the city or of Ireland in general, including politicians, public servants, humanitarians, artists and entertainers; others were distinguished members of the Irish diaspora and foreign leaders, honoured visiting Dublin. Honourees sign the roll of freedmen in a ceremony at City Hall or the Mansion House and are presented with an illuminated scroll by the Lord Mayo..

If it's good enough for BOD............
    Joe could join the esteemed company of Sir Bob Geldof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

33nhzba.png

Anyone notice how Joe’s expression gets increasingly concerned as the picture quality deteriorates from left to right. He’s thrilled in the first one. Less so in the last one. A full spectrum in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

^ More to the point the pic contains American footballs, what where they thinking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big thanks to Joe

Best coach we ever had and has done wonders for Irish Rugby as a whole

Hopefully we have a world cup to remember

Personally would not of given the gig to Farrell but what can ya do. He must be the first head coach who will have a son playing on an opposition team ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Joe wasnt lucky, you make your own luck. Eddie O Sullivan was given the most talented Irish team ever and pissed it away on a few triple crowns.

Joe is meticulous- you see it in Leinster then Irelands plays.

The man should be made an honorary Irish 1st Citizen

stephen_n wrote: »
    Joe could join the esteemed company of Sir Bob Geldof

They have a spare one (two in fact!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Try_harder wrote: »
    Joe wasnt lucky, you make your own luck. Eddie O Sullivan was given the most talented Irish team ever and pissed it away on a few triple crowns.

I dunno

Eddie might have had better centres and shaded the outside backs available to him but I'd take the halfbacks and front row that Joe's had available in a heart beat.

It's been awhile but I think it's now time to say Sexton is better than ROG, and Murray is better than Stringer/Boss/Reddan.

The second and back rows is an interesting debate, actually the outside backs one is up for debate too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's not like you have to trash one guy to praise another.

People are awful hard on Eddie, as if he vindictively decided to underperform at the world cup, he obviously wanted Ireland to win. He was more consistent than previous teams and kidney. He had one or two great players but a lot of filler and no depth. He had limited coaching experience as well, did as well as he was capable, what more can you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

He became an Irish citizen in Sept 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Who'd have thought that one of the English centres from THAT match in Croker would be the head coach of Ireland 12 years later?

He became an Irish citizen in Sept 2015.

Read what I wrote

It's not like you have to trash one guy to praise another.

People are awful hard on Eddie, as if he vindictively decided to underperform at the world cup, he obviously wanted Ireland to win. He was more consistent than previous teams and kidney. He had one or two great players but a lot of filler and no depth. He had limited coaching experience as well, did as well as he was capable, what more can you ask.

He was an IRFU man than they sacked Warren Gatland to install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Eddie was good in his heyday, but didn't seem to want to adapt to a changing game - refusing to use replacements, develop the squad, ignoring Murphy & Quinlan, not dropping players out of form. His team of world-class players had poor showings against Argentina, Italy, Bayonne, Nambia, Georgia and Scotland. Then he hung around too long after the World Cup - for financial reasons and I can't blame him for that (but I do blame Browne & IRFU for that crazy 4 year contract extension before the RWC).

All that said, he was a very good manager. He put things in place for Kidney, who set us up for Joe, and that's why this post is on topic, honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Eddie did a great job overall. Someone above said he pissed away our talent on triple crowns, that's pretty ignorant tbh. Winning three TCs in four years was incredible progress from where we had been for the previous two decades. He was a leading candidate for the 09 Lions until it all fell apart.

Eddie suffers massively because of the 07 RWC and he has to shoulder his share of the blame for it but no one really knows what went wrong there.

His contract extension raised a few eyebrows because it would have meant he'd be in charge for ten years but there was absolutely no suggestion that he shouldn't have been kept on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gordon D'arcy was on Eamonn Dunphy's podcast and it was brought up.

D'arcy said they tried to change the way the team played before the tournament and then for some reason, I can't remember now, they tried to go back to the original style which caused even more problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Trojan wrote: »
    Eddie was good in his heyday, but didn't seem to want to adapt to a changing game - refusing to use replacements, develop the squad, ignoring Murphy & Quinlan, not dropping players out of form.

Murphy got way more gametime than his frequently inconsistent form and absolutely shocking defence deserved. I will never understand the fascination with him. Falling 40 points behind in Paris before that weird attempted comeback was almost entirely his fault and his 'defence' in the lead up to Ibanez's try in the 07 France match was one of the worst things I've seen. Dempsey was twice the fullback he was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement