Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds / Heavy Rain Tues 27 and Storm Diana Weds 28 Nov. 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eased off over here.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

The worst 5-10 mins of rain I have ever seen here in Waterford/South Kilkenny at 8.50am. It went dark and neither torrent or downpour, firehouse in face could accurately describe the conditions. Never seen that type of rain before anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graces7, you may be near the eye of this small low moving north, expect a second round of strong winds from the ocean (WSW) shortly. Will last about two hours, meanwhile for Dublin area, front should pass around 1100h, squally until then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 58.5kts at DunLaoghaire : http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Now we know the reason why you don't follow Joint Cyclone Center. 200kmph + winds :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/JointCyclone/status/1067336465670176768

• Advertisement

Well there's a joint involved in that somewhere. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 59.8kts now at DunLaoghaire : http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

Extremely heavy rain here now in South Wexford.
    Wind is still strong too.

Unable to see the end of the garden it's that heavy!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Over 16mm at 08.00 here near Tralee, moderate rain since and tapering off now, winds lighter. Very windy during the frontal passage in the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tomorrow is looking fairly dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Power went here in Dublin, only momentarily but enough to reboot a router and server.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Galeforce

Any update on how tomorrow is looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusting almost 63kt at DunLaoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hurrache wrote: »
    Power went here in Dublin, only momentarily but enough to reboot a router and server.

same here

Gusting 62.9kts at DunLaoghaire now : http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

And, 58kts at Dublin Bay Buoy.

Graces7, you may be near the eye of this small low moving north, expect a second round of strong winds from the ocean (WSW) shortly. Will last about two hours, meanwhile for Dublin area, front should pass around 1100h, squally until then.

ah thank you! Almost flat calm here now. Thought it was too good to be true!

According to RTE News, this is the tail end of storm Diana!

That's going to confuse people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    According to RTE News, this is the tail end of storm Diana!

That's going to confuse people!!!

And on today fm they are saying Dublin port is closed because of storm Diana,you would wonder where they get their info from?

And on today fm they are saying Dublin port is closed because of storm Diana,you would wonder where they get their info from?

Probably the Joint Cyclone Centre....:pac:

Could be the tail end if she's backing in.

• Advertisement

Was thinking that....or the tentacle of storm Diana.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

More Confusion from Met.ie in the Indo, Diana not coming until the week end now.

"According to Met Éireann, Ireland will see "reoccurring spells" of rain and wind this week, but the tail-end of neighbouring Storm Diana in the UK not anticipated to affect Ireland until towards the weekend.

"The parent Storm Diana will move up across the north Atlantic and won’t track over Ireland at all this week, that will be at the weekend," Met Éireann forecaster Vincent O’Shea told Independent.ie."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Today will be worse than tomorrow for Dublin at least as the winds tomorrow will have a southwesterly aspect to them. Atrocious conditions outside at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was thinking that....or the tentacle of storm Diana.

Interesting as earlier the rte news item said that this was storm diana, but they have now deleted that reference...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dirty Diana :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The gusts were ferocious in Limerick from about 3am to 7.30am.

I heard the bins blow over at 4am and went out to survey the damage. I was expecting recycling bin rubbish strewn all over the garden, but luckily they were empty. Bagged indoors :)

Suddenly at 7.45am, it was dead calm. Like a switch was flicked.

The confusion may be some differences of opinion about which model has captured the evolution correctly, then you could say Diana will miss Ireland tomorrow and circle around and hit on Friday? That's the only way I could see this being a valid argument. However, net-weather are talking about Diana hitting Britain tomorrow (and citing the Met Office) so they clearly don't see things that way. Anyway, Diana is now just about north of Flores, the westernmost island of the Azores and I got a 10z obs from there, SSW 22 G 42 knots. 19/15 and 992 mbs.

That's further from the centre of Diana than most of Ireland will be tomorrow.

As to other storms getting the already designated D name, I don't think it works that way, could be wrong, but I think they will go on to use the next name for the next candidate. Unless Portugal jumps first on that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Fierce windy out there at the moment! I looked like a right eejet trying to run after a receipt that blew out of my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

bri007 wrote: »
    Fierce windy out there at the moment! I looked like a right eejet trying to run after a receipt that blew out of my hand!

That was you? We all stopped and laughed, morto for you... good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

bri007 wrote: »

Receipt for the winter rollercoaster ticket? :pac:

Advertisement