Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating

• 24-11-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi
    Just looking for some advice please. We have just bought a timber frame house that was built in 2004. We have a slight problem that we can't seem to rectify. One of our bedrooms, the garage is underneath it, and the cold of the room is something terrible. We cannot put anyone into the room. When the heating is on, It's fine but as soon as the heat is turned off it's back to its freezer temperatures.
    Is there anything we can do to try and solve this.
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Latro

Check if there is air blowing from under the skirting boards, around windows, sills, sockets and light fixings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Elaine22

Latro wrote: »
    Check if there is air blowing from under the skirting boards, around windows, sills, sockets and light fixings.

There is nothing coming from sockets or light fixings, around the skirting boards it quite cold, along with the floor so that's how we know it's def coming from the garage underneath. We can't understand it as the garage is quite sealed as we have a roller door in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The garage is not being heated though.there is probably little on no insulation in the ceiling between the garage and bedroom
    Id imagine there is a gap at the top of the roller garage door.i doubt if the roller door is air tight.
    So the answer is insulate the ceiling and make it air tight

agusta wrote: »
    The garage is not being heated though.there is probably little on no insulation in the ceiling between the garage and bedroom
    Id imagine there is a gap at the top of the roller garage door.i doubt if the roller door is air tight.
    So the answer is insulate the ceiling and make it air tight

Thank you. Would insulated plastering slabs be sufficient enough or would I have to go to the extreme of lifting floor boards to try and get this resolved. Do you think this would work.

Im not an expert on this.It will probably come down to the u value required.So i dont know if the insulated slab on the ceiling is enough.If you are fitting the insulated slab underneath,why not take down the ceiling slab that is there and see what is between the joists.if little or no insulation there, fit insulation between the joists as well as the insulated slab to up to date u value regulations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

An infrared thermometer will be of great help identifying the problem. Bring the room up to comfortable temperature and then go around all of it checking the temperature. There will be a noticeable difference where heat loss is greatest.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Im not an expert on this.It will probably come down to the u value required.So i dont know if the insulated slab on the ceiling is enough.If you are fitting the insulated slab underneath,why not take down the ceiling slab that is there and see what is between the joists.if little or no insulation there, fit insulation between the joists as well as the insulated slab to up to date u value regulations

Thanks. It's definitely something I need to look into. So if I remove the slabs that's already there, fill with new insulation and re slab with insulating slabs, I'm Hoping this will work. Our last resort is to take out the roller door, and block up to put in a window but that is a very Last resort.

Wearb wrote: »
    An infrared thermometer will be of great help identifying the problem. Bring the room up to comfortable temperature and then go around all of it checking the temperature. There will be a noticeable difference where heat loss is greatest.

We know where the draught is coming from, but it's just to try & resolve it. It's annoyance really as there is not a whole lot insulation wise you can do with TF houses

Elaine22 wrote: »
    We know where the draught is coming from, but it's just to try & resolve it. It's annoyance really as there is not a whole lot insulation wise you can do with TF houses

So is the heat being lost through the whole floor or only around the edges? You need to pin it down exactly before you can devise a solution.

So is the heat being lost through the whole floor or only around the edges? You need to pin it down exactly before you can devise a solution.

Didn't think of that, can the thermometer be bought in any hardware stores. When we put our hand on any part of the floor it's really cold. But, I get what your saying now. I'd prob be best to get the thermometer and hopefully try and work that way.

• Advertisement

Didn't think of that, can the thermometer be bought in any hardware stores. When we put our hand on any part of the floor it's really cold. But, I get what your saying now. I'd prob be best to get the thermometer and hopefully try and work that way.

This might get more experienced answers in the construction board. Shall I move it there?

This might get more experienced answers in the construction board. Shall I move it there?

Please if you can. Thank you very much

Please if you can. Thank you very much

MOVED FROM Plumbing and Heating

Wearb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP I would opine that you don't know.

Step one here is to identify where the cold air is coming from, before you start insulating.

Insulation without air tightness/controlled ventilation is a waste of effort

Remember that the ceiling in the garage is fire rated so best not to DIY mess around with it.

I am assuming it is fully sealed, with no down lighters etc

IMO the roller shutter is not the root cause here.
    If there is a wall vent in the bedroom, take off the inner vent and post some pictures here.

What I am looking for is that the outer vent is not fully sealed to the inside face of the plaster board, hence letting cold air come down inside the plaster board.

Its not going to be found in any store
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=non-contact+infrared+thermometer&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=194468666879&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=248747897116766605&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007882&hvtargid=kwd-91666333&ref=pd_sl_9pozsd31nq_b

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

It’s usually a combination of issues if this room is over your garage you have to ask yourself if you actually use that garage. Seal that room and maybe utilize it to it’s full potential. A lot of these rooms over garage have huge soffit overhangs so as to create a canopy and the majority of time there’s no insulation in the area so your dependence on 10mm of the cheapest plastic going to hold heat. Close off the garage would be my initial advice and make sure your room is properly insulated.

Who2 wrote: »
    It’s usually a combination of issues if this room is over your garage you have to ask yourself if you actually use that garage. Seal that room and maybe utilize it to it’s full potential. A lot of these rooms over garage have huge soffit overhangs so as to create a canopy and the majority of time there’s no insulation in the area so your dependence on 10mm of the cheapest plastic going to hold heat. Close off the garage would be my initial advice and make sure your room is properly insulated.

Closing the garage wouldn't be an option as it's the only access to it that we have and my husband depends on it for tools, etc.
    I have tried lol. Someone's advice was to rip down the slabs that is already in place, fill with insulation if none or some there and re slab with insulation plastering slabs. I don't know if this will work or I'm hoping it will.

OP I would opine that you don't know.

Step one here is to identify where the cold air is coming from, before you start insulating.

Insulation without air tightness/controlled ventilation is a waste of effort

Remember that the ceiling in the garage is fire rated so best not to DIY mess around with it.

I am assuming it is fully sealed, with no down lighters etc

IMO the roller shutter is not the root cause here.
    If there is a wall vent in the bedroom, take off the inner vent and post some pictures here.

What I am looking for is that the outer vent is not fully sealed to the inside face of the plaster board, hence letting cold air come down inside the plaster board.

Its not going to be found in any store
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=non-contact+infrared+thermometer&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=194468666879&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=248747897116766605&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007882&hvtargid=kwd-91666333&ref=pd_sl_9pozsd31nq_b

There is no vent in the room. The coldness seems to be coming from the skirting board/floor area hence why we thought it was coming from the garage.
    In relation to the slab of the ceiling, could we take down the current slabs that's there and fill with insulation and re slab with insulated plastering slabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Closing the garage wouldn't be an option as it's the only access to it that we have and my husband depends on it for tools, etc.
    I have tried lol. Someone's advice was to rip down the slabs that is already in place, fill with insulation if none or some there and re slab with insulation plastering slabs. I don't know if this will work or I'm hoping it will.

I know 2 people who had to do similar as they had bedrooms over garages and they were like iceboxes. They found that there was no insulation under the floor. One ripped out the slab,put in Rockwool and new slabs. The other had the cavity pumped as it didn't necessitate the ceiling in the garage coming down.
    The improvement was unbelievable,no more cold rooms over the garages.

There is no vent in the room. The coldness seems to be coming from the skirting board/floor area hence why we thought it was coming from the garage.
    In relation to the slab of the ceiling, could we take down the current slabs that's there and fill with insulation and re slab with insulated plastering slabs
    My opinions is yes

I know 2 people who had to do similar as they had bedrooms over garages and they were like iceboxes. They found that there was no insulation under the floor. One ripped out the slab,put in Rockwool and new slabs. The other had the cavity pumped as it didn't necessitate the ceiling in the garage coming down.
    The improvement was unbelievable,no more cold rooms over the garages.

Brilliant thanks a mill. It's worth a try and hope for the best it will work

• Advertisement

My opinions is yes

Thanks very much for all your help and advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Brilliant thanks a mill. It's worth a try and hope for the best it will work

Drill a hole in the ceiling of the garage, that'll quickly show you if there's insulation there or not. My suspicion is that there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Post no. 6 for the win.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Drill a hole in the ceiling of the garage, that'll quickly show you if there's insulation there or not. My suspicion is that there isn't.

Yeah hubby is going to try drill through the current slabs that's there and see 1st what's there. Either way something has to go on it lol.

Post no. 6 for the win.

Insulated slabs????

Advertisement