Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day with driven shoot

• 25-11-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭

I’d like to get my husband a day out with a driven shoot ( and give it to him before Christmas probably). Wicklow / Carlow/Wexford would suit. Any recommendations? Budget is not massive so I’d like an idea of price. PMs welcome.

( edit to add he has a shotgun and a license)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

COOLLATTIN SHOOT - Wicklow

https://www.coollattinshoot.com/about.html

ARTRAMON Farm - Wexford

https://www.artramon-farm.com/english/surroundings/hunting

You could research these - never been there so know nothing about them.

That would be a nice Christmas present - lucky man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

fits wrote: »
    I’d like to get my husband a day out with a driven shoot ( and give it to him before Christmas probably). Wicklow / Carlow/Wexford would suit. Any recommendations? Budget is not massive so I’d like an idea of price. PMs welcome.
    ( edit to add he has a shotgun and a license)

Driven pheasant shooting is very expensive. Charge is likely to be in the region of €50 to €55 per bird. On this basis a 300 bird day would cost about €15,000. Say 10 guns so €1500 per gun.

A walked up day would be more affordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Driven pheasant shooting is very expensive. Charge is likely to be in the region of €50 to €55 per bird. On this basis a 300 bird day would cost about €15,000. Say 10 guns so €1500 per gun.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure how it worked. Prices I’ve seen today were more like 35. I guess if you’re a single gun it’s not possible to just pay for what you shoot?

A walk up would be a good alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I think there is a minimum of guns needed as well and there is a cost for just being there even if you don't knock a bird.

I would love to have a go myself but at the moment the cost is prohibited.

Try across the water, as you may pick up a better deal for a half day shooting and the pair of you may make overnight of it.

Across the water is out at the minute with young twins. I’ll try do some research tomorrow and see what can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

What’s your budget?

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    What’s your budget?

Ideally 300 or below ( which is clearly out of question for driven shoot)

fits wrote: »
    Ideally 300 or below ( which is clearly out of question for driven shoot)

You could try a morning on the Wexford South Slob for that. Might not suit, it’s a very early start on a Sunday morning but you’re out of there by 10.30 ish.
    Can be hit and miss but you’d usually end up with 1/2 a dozen mallard at least least, maybe 12 even plus wigeon, teal and snipe.

You might find a walked up day on pheasants for that price too, although it’s a while since I’ve done that myself so can’t be sure. You’d be joining 10 others on a 80 or 100 bird day maybe. More common later in the season, January onwards.

Early starts are no problem in this house :D

Can you send me links?

Try the guns on pegs website for the pheasants, or good old google.

I’ll dig out the number for the Wexford slob when I ge the chance and send it to you.

• Advertisement

Coolattin shoot mentioned above certainly do walked up days so far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    `
    F$%^K!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    15 K?? Jeeze!!! for that I'd pack 3 people off to Hungary, with flights, transport, lodging board and drinks, and ammo for 3 days and get them shooting 150 birds per day per gun, with a crew of beaters,transport to the shoots and four dogs,and still have change when we got home!
    Irish prices how are ya!And yes,I know everything is hideously expensive here,but 55 quid per bird??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    `
    F$%^K!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    15 K?? Jeeze!!! for that I'd pack 3 people off to Hungary, with flights, transport, lodging board and drinks, and ammo for 3 days and get them shooting 150 birds per day per gun, with a crew of beaters,transport to the shoots and four dogs,and still have change when we got home!
    Irish prices how are ya!And yes,I know everything is hideously expensive here,but 55 quid per bird??

Are these birds wild or reared? For many years I was involved in releasing pheasants here and the cost per bird shot and recovered was considerably in excess of €50, even though all of the penbuilding, releasing and feeding was done by members on an unpaid basis. (Admittedly it wasn't great holding ground).

I am currently in a small very well run driven shoot and the cost per bird shot and retrieved there is very slightly under €50, even though we do not employ a keeper and all of the work is done by members.

If we were to sell days, ( we don't ), it would have to be on the basis of €50 per expected bird in the bag at the end of the day.

Commercial reared...Something like 250 to 400 thousand chicks a year.The 10 shoot co operatives,covering something like 150 square kilometers of Hungary release about 80 to 100k worth of birds every year.The rest are exported to all parts of Europe

Don't let the commercial rearing fool you that you are shooting domestic fowl.
    These are fully mature birds and are excellent fliers and will give very challenging shooting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Commercial reared...Something like 250 to 400 thousand chicks a year.The 10 shoot co operatives,covering something like 150 square kilometers of Hungary release about 80 to 100k worth of birds every year.The rest are exported to all parts of Europe

Don't let the commercial rearing fool you that you are shooting domestic fowl.
    These are fully mature birds and are excellent fliers and will give very challenging shooting.

Have you done this Grizzly? What does a trip like this cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Pheasants are roughly €18 a bird in Hungary last time I enquired. Then you have the “pauschalpreis” or arrangement fee to cover transport,food and lodging,Hungarian hunting licence,third party insurance + flights.
    Totting it all up you can fly,have three nights away and two days driven pheasant for the price of a driven day in Ireland.

Kran wrote: »
    Have you done this Grizzly? What does a trip like this cost?

5 times in the last 7 years.I posted one trip here in the hunting forum.It was kind of a family tradition until my uncles ill health finished it .
    You were looking at about 4k+/- for three people for three days.That was inc lodging, 3meals per day, drinks (a lot) a half dozen beaters plus dogs,transport to the shoots,and about 250/300 birds between 3 of us and revelant paperwork being handled by the Hungarian guide .Excluded flights,ammo costs,bring your own,its cheaper,tips to the beaters and dog men.

Sika98k wrote: »
    Pheasants are roughly €18 a bird in Hungary last time I enquired. Then you have the “pauschalpreis” or arrangement fee to cover transport,food and lodging,Hungarian hunting licence,third party insurance + flights.
    Totting it all up you can fly,have three nights away and two days driven pheasant for the price of a driven day in Ireland.

18 euros a bird would be expensive for over there.Whereabouts in Hungary?We were all of 30 mins from Rumania, in East Hungary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

5 times in the last 7 years.I posted one trip here in the hunting forum.It was kind of a family tradition until my uncles ill health finished it .
    You were looking at about 4k+/- for three people for three days.That was inc lodging, 3meals per day, drinks (a lot) a half dozen beaters plus dogs,transport to the shoots,and about 250/300 birds between 3 of us and revelant paperwork being handled by the Hungarian guide .Excluded flights,ammo costs,bring your own,its cheaper,tips to the beaters and dog men.
    Any quick way of finding that write up? I checked your posts but you have over 2000 in hunting alone.

Kran wrote: »
    Any quick way of finding that write up? I checked your posts but you have over 2000 in hunting alone.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    2012 or thereabouts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Would he be interested in going to the shooting show in the NEC in Birmingham. Flights and tickets should be less than €80 the rest could be spending money/deposit.

Plenty of driven shoots being advertised by UK/European estates at it last year. He could talk to them directly about prices, accommodation, birds etc.

It's in February. Just Google "NEC shooting show", I'm on my mobile so can't link, sorry.

18 euros a bird would be expensive for over there.Whereabouts in Hungary?We were all of 30 mins from Rumania, in East Hungary?
    That was up around Nograd county on the Slovak border. Our outfitter is mainly involved in roe,reds and boar. He arranged it so I’m quite sure he was getting a couple of €s a bird. We used to go most years for a driven boar hunt but off to Romania this January.

We were much further to the SE. Bekes county.Place called Dobroz.!0 mins from the Rumanian border.Very agricultural,so maybe that s why it was cheaper??

We were much further to the SE. Bekes county.Place called Dobroz.!0 mins from the Rumanian border.Very agricultural,so maybe that s why it was cheaper??
    Could be, depends on how they show the birds and what the hospitality is like.

Advertisement