Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth have turned brown/rusty very quickly

• 25-11-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice here. My teeth were polished and cleaned about a month ago. I've got good teeth.

Today, I noticed that four of my lower teeth had shown signs of discoloration in a rapid timeframe. It's like they're covered in rusty blood after drinking loads of caffeine or Coca Cola. I don't consume either. It caught me by surprise.

In the past month, I've been put on Olmesartan for blood pressure and Stemetil for positional vertigo. Is there any way that medication (Little tablets) can degrade teeth so quickly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice here. My teeth were polished and cleaned about a month ago. I've got good teeth.

Today, I noticed that four of my lower teeth had shown signs of discoloration in a rapid timeframe. It's like they're covered in rusty blood after drinking loads of caffeine or Coca Cola. I don't consume either. It caught me by surprise.

In the past month, I've been put on Olmesartan for blood pressure and Stemetil for positional vertigo. Is there any way that medication (Little tablets) can degrade teeth so quickly?

Did you check the side effects on the tablet box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did you check the side effects on the tablet box?

One of the tablets has a manufacturers pamphlet, so I can check that when I get home.

The other tablet was just a small tub with no box. I will try to Google it.

Thanks Fann Linn . I will report back. I hope it's not permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Using any mouthwash and if so what brand?

Using any mouthwash and if so what brand?

Recently started a bottle of Corsodyl.

Normally on Listerine.

Recently started a bottle of Corsodyl.

Normally on Listerine.

Corsydol can stain your teeth really badly. Says it on the Bottle but makes it sound like a couple of brushes will get rid of it. Not true. Not always anyway. Both my dentist and hygienist won't recommend it for that reason. They hate the stuff.

• Advertisement

Corsydol can stain your teeth really badly. Says it on the Bottle but makes it sound like a couple of brushes will get rid of it. Not true. Not always anyway. Both my dentist and hygienist won't recommend it for that reason. They hate the stuff.

Wow! That's great to know.

I will try eliminate the medication side effects first of all.

If discoloration isn't a side effect, I will focus on the mouthwash. Two questions:

1. Will this require a repolishing by the dentist or will good brushing make it go away?

2. Is there a better brand of mouthwash?

I was looking at my teeth in horror. It's like I was chewing coffee and drinking Coke for a few days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Corsodyl is a definite culprit. Can I ask why you ve picked it? For bleeding gums or such?

I ask cos my teeth were in an absolute state about 10 years (Im mid thirties). With gums that would bleed very easily so i tried things such as Corsodyl. Bleeding gums meant i was uber careful not to brush them when i was cleaning my teeth, and this turns out to be opposite of what you should do! Get right in there in fact! A little blood at first til they toughen up and get healthier.

Eventually made a few key changes, number one was getting an electric toothbrush to help with my rubbish technique. It turned things around for me. Dont know if your at that or a manual? But I can not overstate what a good investment to spend decent money on a good one of these, vs higher dentist bills!

For clearing the stains, try Clinomyn toothpaste. Available many places, pharmacies or tesco etc. It got me back to near white initially after a few days of usage, and then ive just used normal colgate or oral B toothpastes. It probably would require a dentist to clean to get you back to former glories but it can be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Had this same problem with corsodyl myself.

They have a daily mouthwash that is fine to use but the strong version for bleeding gums etc will stain your teeth and should only be used on a short term basis

Two questions:

1. Will this require a repolishing by the dentist or will good brushing make it go away?

2. Is there a better brand of mouthwash?

For me I went to my hygienist because I couldn't get rid of the stains myself.

I don't know about an alternative mouthwash because it turned out I didn't even need to be using it.

My wife picked Corsodyl at random off the shelf in Tesco.

I only use mouthwash for breath freshness purposes. The sheer vanity of it all :)

No issue with gums. And a normal amount of plaque. I use a standard manual toothbrush.

I was genuinely alarmed at the rapid pace of the discoloration. Didn't see that 48 hours ago!

I will try out the Clinomyn toothpaste. Failing that... a visit to the dentist.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It's great to have the support. And that I'm not alone :)

• Advertisement

Corsydol stain will generally not brush off and needs to be professionally removed by a dentist or hygienist, especially as its get between the teeth where no toothbrush bristle will reach.

Chlorohexidine the active ingredient in Corsydol and Kin causes chronic staining, and really these should only be used for specific reasons like post surgery or if your have had deep cleaning. I do not feel they should be used long term. The advertising and packaging of corsydol make a lot of people choose it, and the staining is a universal result.

Ok. I confirmed that teeth staining is not a side effect of my medication. So it's likely to be the Corsydol alright.

I would never have put 2+2 together without your collective help.

The mention of mouthwash made me think.. 'oh yeah, I started using that ten days ago'.

You'd wonder what percentage of users would have a reaction like mine (stained teeth).... and whether it should carry a more prominent warning on the label.

Cheers to everyone

and whether it should carry a more prominent warning on the label.

Totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My dentist warned me that the Cien mouthwash in Lidl had a similar browning effect. I've stayed away from it since and seem to be getting better results.

Advertisement