Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server expansion: Rackmount case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gardai be calling round to your gaff thinking its a growhous soon enough Seph :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ED E wrote: »
    Gardai be calling round to your gaff thinking its a growhous soon enough Seph :pac:
    Have witnessed scene where door was kicked-in in 30 seconds after doorbell.
    SweeD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

This happened to my house a few years ago as had 10 servers in the attic :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have one of these, takes 15 drive bays, you can put in any fans you want, its a standard enough case. I have one would sell it to you for 50 euro if you collect.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4u-standard-chassis-supports-15x-35-hdd-2x-front-accessible-usb-ports

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If I decide to pickup a few R710s to screw around with ESXi a bit more, I may have to watch for this.
    I have one of these, takes 15 drive bays, you can put in any fans you want, its a standard enough case. I have one would sell it to you for 50 euro if you collect.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4u-standard-chassis-supports-15x-35-hdd-2x-front-accessible-usb-ports

Cheers. How do the HDDs mount? Looks like they're tool-less, but not hot-swap. Correct? If that's the case, I think I'll pass. Hot-swap is more expensive, but this case should last me the foreseeable future (at least for a storage box).

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    If I decide to pickup a few R710s to screw around with ESXi a bit more, I may have to watch for this.

Cheers. How do the HDDs mount? Looks like they're tool-less, but not hot-swap. Correct? If that's the case, I think I'll pass. Hot-swap is more expensive, but this case should last me the foreseeable future (at least for a storage box).

Not in hot swap caddies, but your looking at huge money for a case with 10+ hot swap caddies with lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not in hot swap caddies, but your looking at huge money for a case with 10+ hot swap caddies with lights.

I was looking at a company in England before for a rackmount watercooled PC, they are pretty cheap all things considered. Edit, lol see it in the OP's post.

If you have 3 decent airflow 120mm fans and a cpu cooler, you don't need the small fans at the rear. They are there for more directed airflow over heatsink only server boards.

I was looking at a company in England before for a rackmount watercooled PC, they are pretty cheap all things considered. Edit, lol see it in the OP's post.

If you have 3 decent airflow 120mm fans and a cpu cooler, you don't need the small fans at the rear. They are there for more directed airflow over heatsink only server boards.

SAS backplanes are cool but its a bit of a faff, you would need a sas controller card to get it to flash which drive is faulty, if not it offers nothing over a closed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's actually one of the cases I was looking at, Cuddles. :P

I think I'll go with one of theirs. I'd love to be able to use standard fans with those hot-swap holders. From the video on their site, it looks like they do just use standard fans internally, and the cable just routes into a little silo to hold it in place. Only thing is those look like 30mm thick fans, so I don't know how they'd handle 25mm ones.

An Fitz, appreciate the advice, but I am actually using a SAS HBA in my server at the minute, so it's something like this I'm looking at vs. a desktop tower. Even then, I'd be looking at something with 5.25 bays top to bottom (which pretty much doesn't exist any more) so I could put 3-to-5-bay hot-swaps in there, in which case you're into more money than this rackmount anyway.

Advertisement