Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will never visit Moville

• 25-11-2018 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Obviously a lot of racist scum in the town with this fire
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-investigating-fire-that-caused-extensive-damage-to-hotel-due-to-be-used-as-direct-provision-centre-37563307.html

Well, if that's the type of people that live in the town, I for one will not be revisiting it. (OK, just saying this to get a reaction)

Maybe I'll have the wrong accent and a local will take umbrage. Maybe a friend will have the wrong colour skin or maybe they'll be from another country and the racist scum that obviously permeate the Moville area will decide they are not welcome.

Edit...
    Interesting reaction from posters. But towns like moville need to be very wary of a certain type of person that rouses trouble and can cause untold damage to the locality.

Moville and Greencastle are fantastic places, yet all the news about Moville in the past few days has been about how a small minority are small minded racists. Unfortunately, like many small minded people, they shout loudly and get heard above the quiet, more decent / intelligent folk that are the vast majority of residents in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not condoning it but was probably bound to happen with migrants being dumped into every random town and village which doesn't have a FG front bencher sitting there.

Might pay a visit to Moville next year for a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You can’t tar the entire population of moville on the actions of one or two lowlife scumbags!

Yes it was a despicable low criminal act but your over reacting if you decide that anywhere that criminals have carried out cowardly and shameful acts means you will never visit that place.

I’m assuming you will never visit Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc etc as there have been equally low and disputable acts (and probably worse) carried out in those places too. In fact you are probably house bound at this stage as there are very few places left that are completely free from this type of crime. Poor you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭enricoh

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-investigating-fire-that-caused-extensive-damage-to-hotel-due-to-be-used-as-direct-provision-centre-37563307.html

Well, if that's the type of people that live in the town, I for one will not be revisiting it.

Maybe I'll have the wrong accent and a local will take umbrage. Maybe a friend will have the wrong colour skin or maybe they'll be from anther country and the racist scum that obviously permeate the Moville area will decide they are not welcome.

Shameful.

Yeah all 1300 people in the town were involved in burning it down. I spent a weekend there this summer n loved it. Not in that hotel but in a deadly little hostel. Plenty of tourists about then. I'd imagine the tourists are more beneficial to the town than dumping 100 spoofers there.

Naturally, I wouldn't condone burning someone's property. It's a scummy thing to do.

However, Moville looks tiny. Although I've never been, according to Wikipedia it has a population of less than 1,500 people. Tiny little place (my secondary school was nearly the same), and the government want to fire 100 randomers in?

I can fully understand why the building was burned, and a small part of me actually agrees with it. This would destroy that community. Direct Provision centres can cause a lot of hassle and grief, and I'd imagine a cardboard cut-out of a Garda is about as good as it gets in terms of Policing in Moville.

Now, as I say, I could be wrong about Moville. Maybe it's like Dublin, I've never been, but this very much strikes me as 'stick a load of people somewhere, where there is only a handful of people that can complain about it, then ignore it and sweep it under the carpet because no one will care about the people in Moville'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wonder how many 'relatives' of the 100 in town of 1,300 will settle also, at a later stage.
    Maybe after a decade, the wee tiny town will only be 50% Irish with multi-lingual signage installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moville was visited by some far-right nutters on a tour over the weekend who may have stirred up whatever local scrotes there were to do this. Arson only requires one person.

Said nutters included a woman who is banned from entering the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Wonder how many 'relatives' of the 100 in town of 1,300 will settle also, at a later stage.
    Maybe after a decade, the wee tiny town will only be 50% Irish with multi-lingual signage installed.

and it this type of misguided stupidity and nonsense that some people believe

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah all 1300 people in the town were involved in burning it down. I spent a weekend there this summer n loved it. Not in that hotel but in a deadly little hostel. Plenty of tourists about then. I'd imagine the tourists are more beneficial to the town than dumping 100 spoofers there.

oK, I was probably overreacting to see the type of response - I'm booked into that same hostel in the spring (though its more a group of nice self catering apartments and rooms)

But unfortunately Moville has recently attracted a few of the "wrong type" who need to be brought under control. We all know these "types" - they are not even welcome in the bogside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Why do we need direct provision anyway. There’s plenty of spare bedrooms across Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Well, if that's the type of people that live in the town, I for one will not be revisiting it.

Maybe I'll have the wrong accent and a local will take umbrage. Maybe a friend will have the wrong colour skin or maybe they'll be from anther country and the racist scum that obviously permeate the Moville area will decide they are not welcome.

Shameful.

confused

As a rural dweller, not involved in farming, but neighbours that are, Casey all the way for the 20+ families here as he's the first person to challenge the scourge of rural Ireland - travellers.

• Advertisement

It may be somewhat of an exageration to say 50%, after all realatives join (if it's a viable option). But then again in England, only 'half' of Leicester's population describe themselves as white British.

Isn't 'sponsorship' of relations an option for anyone with indefinite stay.

If I move to Australia I can sponsor a relative to join me, providing certain criteria is met. If I enter as a refugee, can probably invite all members of immediate family to join, with less criteria to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Im sure the people of Moville will be deeply distraught at the thought of you not visiting their beautiful town.

It may be somewhat of an exageration to say 50%, after all realatives join (if it's a viable option). But then again in England, only 'half' of Leicester's population describe themselves as white British.

Britain is not a good example due to the number of British colonies and the commonwealth and the various rights given to such people under their emigration act and right of abode.

And that where the misinformation was in Brexit - people thought Brexit would mean less immigration when it will do little except stop immigration from EU countries which wasn't a major issue anyway.

Remember the Vietnamese refugees - there were only about 220. Where are the hundreds of relatives? It didn't happen.
    But some people will actually believe such rubbish

Im sure the people of Moville will be deeply distraught at the thought of you not visiting their beautiful town.

Moville Pottery is possibly the most beautiful pottery in Ireland especially their galaxy glaze that is used by a friend of mine in a restaurant and I have a large amount of it myself.

I did post to say my OP was designed to get a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I live near Moville, and it's a lovely little town.

I was surprised to hear they were getting the 100 asylum seekers and refugees, as it's a large number for such a small place. But I would say most locals would have welcomed it, Donegal people are very welcoming and kind by nature in general.

Obviously there will be a bit of nimbyism as well, there will be anywhere in the world. It only takes a small number of vocal ones to make it look like a town or city is not welcoming. I hope they catch and prosecute whoever lit this fire.

I hope the planned settlement still goes ahead.

... people thought Brexit would mean less immigration when it will do little except stop immigration from EU countries which wasn't a major issue anyway.

It will certainly stop (mass) migration from Europe^ and anyone traveling across Europe (like the Iranians this week) to reach Dover via dingies.

^ Romania and Bulgaria have overtaken decades upon decades of natural neighbourly Irish migration, and all in just a few short years.

Perhaps the sudden and unprecedented illegal boat crossings this month, across the world's busiest shipping channel has nothing at all to do with the looming brexit at all?

What it won't do is stop 'skilled' migration, in fact the new proposed points system will likely slurp up the highly skilled from (anywhere) in the world that applies for it and meets the new criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

How long has the hotel been owned by the current owners?

The Grand Hotel in Wicklow was bought up by Firebreak (I kid you not)
    http://wicklownews.net/2017/09/bright-future-for-wicklows-grand-hotel/
    “The Grand Hotel has been a feature of Wicklow town for well over a century. We are delighted to be at the helm for the next chapter of its life. We intend to revitalise and improve the Hotel in a number of respects over the coming months. We hope to reposition the Hotel as an important amenity and asset of the local community.”

2 or 3 months later they had applied to become a DP centre, to the Reception and Integration Agency, which seems to have unlimited access to the Irish taxpayers money. Which locals believe was the plan devised by the new owners all along.

Other shenanigans went on in Roosky.
    Mr Doherty said that earlier this year it appeared Mr Kiernan was attempting to enter into a lease agreement with another party who was applying to the Department of Justice for the purpose of using the hotel to house refugees.
    However, Mr Kiernan Mr Doherty said in an interview in March to local Radio stating he was not going ahead with the plan to use the property as a centre to house asylum seekers
    https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/news/348045/breaking-injunction-sought-preventing-rooskey-hotel-being-used-as-accommodation-for-asylum-seekers.html

There is more money in DP centres than in catering for paying guests/tourists for the hotels involved, even if every other business in the town goes down the toilet as a result.
    That's the cold, hard financial fact. Although, I'm not sure how fires fit into this financial equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Putting 100 people with totally different values in a tiny town is a recipe for disaster.

If we have not learnt a single lesson from the thousands of examples of why its a bad idea from what has been witnessed all around Europe these last few years, then I dont know when we will.

The standard response to anyone criticising these centres is to label them racist.

Take a visit to Balbriggan in North County Dublin and see first hand what has happened to the place.

What opportunities would these people have in Moville anyway, a town which has seriously limited options for the locals as it is. They are not getting a decent opportunity by being put there. Out of sight out of mind, thats whats happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Firblog

I have to wonder at the thought process behind the conversion of small hotels - which provide employment in unemployment blackspots - to 'reception centres' which will presumably employ fewer people.

Govt money creating unemployment.

Not the only example I've seen of it, they have given grants to fish factories (some had millions in the bank) to buy machinery... and you can guess the result, less people employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have to dispair at stupidity of such a comment and then you go and hammer it home by comparing moyville in Donegal to Leicester city.

Look accum you have form in waxing lyrical about immigration. But jaysus will you at least make your comments remotely sensible.

Rambling nonsense so far in this one and your doing your self a disservice.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    You have to dispair at stupidity of such a comment and then you go and hammer it home by comparing moyville in Donegal to Leicester city.

Look accum you have form in waxing lyrical about immigration. But jaysus will you at least make your comments remotely sensible.

Rambling nonsense so far in this one and your doing your self a disservice.

A slightly realist view you mean, sure ok the 50% was overstated but as you (should) know the future isn't going to be very bright for any low-skilled young men in future years anywhere.

Nevermind the current economic migration trend of non-fluent young men from who knows where. And in some tiny town scarce of life outside the summer months.

Lecister city is interesting, as whites are now a minority there from 60% to 45% in just 10yrs up to 2011. London and many other cities in England likely have similar trends taking place.

So look here, lefty listermints, tell us was it a good idea in the 1st place, in your 'wonderful rose-tinted form of view' to add nearly 10% of non-nationals to a small village overnight without even consulting the residents? Will it all be rainbows and street carnivals?

Will the number not increase via relatives, friends or aquantance sponsorship?
    And what will they actually do with all their expected spare time in the depths of winter?

I'm all for diversity (i.e. real diversity), the best thing for any small town anywhere would be to drop in 100 'moderate/high skilled' people from 100 different countries and watch them very quickly integrate and add immediate value. On the other hand drop in pending refugees (maybe also economic migrants) from a handful of very similar countries, to make +8% of a town, and watch slow ackward integration of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

One of the most outrageous things about this whole episode is how people are pronouncing Moville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Was speaking to an old fella lately and he made a good point:

"One of the last "forced" introductions of populations in Europe didn't end well even after 400 years and they were of quite similar (spoke a similar language, similar religion & values etc) characteristic to the existing population".

Ok yes there are some quite big differences i.e 400 years ago they took all the land (yada yada yada we all heard it before - don't mean to drag the thread off topic) but I think our current politicians should note and remember that placing a large amount of people into a small area is not a great idea.

A slightly realist view you mean, sure ok the 50% was overstated but as you (should) know the future isn't going to be very bright for any low-skilled young men in future years anywhere.

Nevermind the current economic migration trend of non-fluent young men from who knows where. And in some tiny town scarce of life outside the summer months.

Lecister city is interesting, as whites are now a minority there from 60% to 45% in just 10yrs up to 2011. London and many other cities in England likely have similar trends taking place.

So look here, lefty listermints, tell us was it a good idea in the 1st place, in your 'wonderful rose-tinted form of view' to add nearly 10% of non-nationals to a small village overnight without even consulting the residents? Will it all be rainbows and street carnivals?

Will the number not increase via relatives, friends or aquantance sponsorship?
    And what will they actually do with all their expected spare time in the depths of winter?

I'm all for diversity (i.e. real diversity), the best thing for any small town anywhere would be to drop in 100 'moderate/high skilled' people from 100 different countries and watch them very quickly integrate and add immediate value. On the other hand drop in pending refugees (maybe also economic migrants) from a handful of very similar countries, to make +8% of a town, and watch slow ackward integration of sorts.

I stopped reading after lefty listermint

You know someone is a dullard windup merchant when they resort to using idiotic Facebook generation terms.

Boring.

Boring.

A Classy and well considered response sir/madam.

But you seem to have missed the all essential question.

"Was it a good idea in the first place to add nearly 10% of non-nationals to a small village overnight without even consulting the residents?"

Y or... N ? (or more likely, you might just divert, and don't bother to even answer).

A Classy and well considered response sir/madam.

But you seem to have missed the all essential question.

"Was it a good idea in the first place to add nearly 10% of non-nationals to a small village overnight without even consulting the residents?"

Y or... N ? (or more likely, you might just divert, and don't bother to even answer).

I don't answer questions from people who insist on generalising people into simple brackets it's boring and shows the extent of your whit or lack of it.

It's not intelligent whatsoever. I assume you spent your time perusing Facebook to pick up these infantile responses.

I don't answer questions from people who insist on generalising people into simple brackets it's boring and shows the extent of your whit or lack of it.

It's not intelligent whatsoever. I assume you spent your time perusing Facebook to pick up these infantile responses.

Of course you won't answer it, sure thats exactly what I said (basic diversion technique of the unintelligent). Perhaps your likely 'yes' answer would create some sort of internal conflict of interests, along with a significant headache and backtracking.

You shouldn't insist on generalising people, I don't even use Facepuke, how insulting, whit-less and infantile of you to assume I or/and everyone does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod/ Leave it out lads. Take it to PM if you want but dont derail this thread with the bickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The questions I would like to know is how much money is being made from these direct provision centres. How much does the hotel owner make and what kind of percentage do the direct provision organisations get. Listening to meeting held in moville it seemed once the DP team get them into the hotel it's up to other state bodies then to take over for there welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭enricoh

The questions I would like to know is how much money is being made from these direct provision centres. How much does the hotel owner make and what kind of percentage do the direct provision organisations get. Listening to meeting held in moville it seemed once the DP team get them into the hotel it's up to other state bodies then to take over for there welfare.

I basically winning the lotto for the hotel owner. actually no, its like winning the euro millions, god bless paddy taxpayer -

Mosney plc operates a direct provision centre for 600 asylum seekers at Mosney in County Meath and the €8m it received last year brings to €127.4m the company has received from the State between 2002 and 2017 for its direct provision service.

Advertisement