Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left the immersion on again!

Options
  • 25-11-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Anyone any tips on how to prevent leaving the immersion on accidently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭tommythecat

pummice wrote: »

A timer

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Or wire the immersion stat in like the stop button on a DOL starter perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

disgraceful - how were you brought up at all!?? :)

Timer would be one option, but in a previous house I had a booster button that gave it a 30 minute boost and then auto off.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Get a rundown timer from an electrical wholesaler. Horstmann do a 30 60 120 minute version. It only works bath or sink but not both. A bit fiddly to fot but a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did you leave on the bath or the sink ? :D

Now that most hot water cylinders have spray on insulation, is leaving on the immersion such a big deal?
    I'm assuming modern immersions have a thermostatic cut off so that it's not going to be drawing power constantly when its left on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I go mad when a light is left on let alone a immersion, lucky my one is broke now so haven't used in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What's the difference between bath and sink? I don't use one but I've seen that switch.

Truckermal wrote: »
    What's the difference between bath and sink? I don't use one but I've seen that switch.

Bath immersion is a 3 times longer element, and heats almost all of the cylinder.
    The sink immersion will only heat the top third and consumes much less power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Truckermal wrote: »

A man having a shower (enough water just to fill a sink) and a woman having a shower (more water than would fill a bath) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭pummice

There is a mechanical timer on the immersion, with 3 settings - timed, off, constant. Its when its on constant that I sometimes forget about it. Its annoying because when the immersion is on there is a red light also on, but its inside the hot press so you dont see it when you're on the landing. Maybe I need to change the timer to a push button booster type.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

When the immersion is on constant we leave a facecloth folded over the handle of the door to remind us to turn it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Funny this should come up for me. I never turned mine on but recently I've gotten into have a nice relaxing bath. I've had it on constantly for the last 3 weeks. I've no idea how much this is costing me. It does not heat radiators just the taps.

I have a night meter and I see some kind of timer by the tank and I haven't a clue how to use it. I can hear it being activated late at night If I'm up.

Actually last night I could hear it making a lot of noise. I though it was going to explode and it kept me awake so I got up and turned it off. While it was making this noise I could also hear water spilling out somewhere outside. Anyone have any idea what this is all about? It's electrical not gas btw.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Funny this should come up for me. I never turned mine on but recently I've gotten into have a nice relaxing bath. I've had it on constantly for the last 3 weeks. I've no idea how much this is costing me. It does not heat radiators just the taps.

I have a night meter and I see some kind of timer by the tank and I haven't a clue how to use it. I can hear it being activated late at night If I'm up.

Actually last night I could hear it making a lot of noise. I though it was going to explode and it kept me awake so I got up and turned it off. While it was making this noise I could also hear water spilling out somewhere outside. Anyone have any idea what this is all about? It's electrical not gas btw.

The noise you heard was the overflow.
    Very similar sound to coins falling continuously out of a pocket.

It sounds like you don't have a thermostatic cut off, so the superheated hot water has to go somewhere.
    I've seen one system where the hot water overflow was diverted into the attic cold water tank.
    We realised something was up, when we flushed the toilet and steam started coming out of the bowl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Replace your timer with this gadget, you can view the current status on a smartphone and set on/off times and do pretty much everything except switch between sink and bath i.e. you still need a regular Sink/Bath switch. You install this between the mains feed and the Sink/Bath switch...

http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

3051.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Your Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

assuming your tank is properly insulated, leaving it on isn't going to bankrupt you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As a general rule heating water electrically is best avoided. Using a gas or oil fired boiler would be far more cost effective. Insulation helps reduce the cost considerably but I certainly wouldn’t advocate leaving an immersion on all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

josip wrote: »
    We realised something was up, when we flushed the toilet and steam started coming out of the bowl :D

A likely story....

Advertisement