Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair ruined, how to get it back to how it was?

• 25-11-2018 3:40pm

Hi, sorry, another hair thread but just wanted advice on my particular situation!

A hairdresser ruined my hair a while back (put way too much bleach in) my hair broke off and is now so thin, it’s half the thickness it used to be and even though this was 7 months ago my hair doesn’t seem any better.

I’ve stopped getting highlights and had my hair colour changed to an all over ginger colour. I’ve started taking hair vitamins and putting coconut oil in once a week. Is there anything else I can do? It’s so damaged and dull and I just want it back to the way it was!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Whatever hair was bleached won't improve. It's just dead keratin with no ability to regenerate. You'll just have to wait for the hair to grow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Sorry to hear that :( I wouldn't bother with coconut oil, it's not a good conditioner. A deep conditioner/ masque is a much better option. Coconut oil is hard to rinse and causes build up

Sorry to hear that :( I wouldn't bother with coconut oil, it's not a good conditioner. A deep conditioner/ masque is a much better option. Coconut oil is hard to rinse and causes build up

Ah ok thank you, is there any deep conditioner/masques you would recommend? Do they really help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Ah ok thank you, is there any deep conditioner/masques you would recommend? Do they really help?

I think any of the Aussie 3 minute miracle masks are brilliant, slather it on and leave for as long as you can. It's expensive and works

I think any of the Aussie 3 minute miracle masks are brilliant, slather it on and leave for as long as you can. It's expensive and works

Brilliant thanks, once a week? Or twice seeing as my hair is badly damaged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I had my hair stripped and it was destroyed after. The only thing that worked for me was Redken extreme . It really improved the condition of my hair. It's pricey stuff so I'd shop around online for it. I use the shampoo and conditioner and every few weeks the extreme strength builder mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I had a similar experience and was recommended a hair mask that really helped -
    Alfaparf Milano Semi Dilino Reconstruction For Damaged Hair

Its pricey but definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

GingerLily wrote: »
    I had a similar experience and was recommended a hair mask that really helped -
    Alfaparf Milano Semi Dilino Reconstruction For Damaged Hair

Its pricey but definitely worth it

Would second this. To get it back or improve the condition of your hair you'd really need to be using salon shampoos/conditioner. Would also recommend Pureology, you can get this much cheaper on LookFantastic.com than Peter Marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I feel your pain OP my hair is the same :( I haven't bleached/coloured it since February and the roots are driving me crazy now.

Can someone please please recommend a good hairdresser in Dublin (either city centre or south Dublin) as I really want to get a colour and cut soon. I don't mind paying but I'm sick of going to places and coming out with bad colour, you feel like a mug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

poppies2 wrote: »
    Would second this. To get it back or improve the condition of your hair you'd really need to be using salon shampoos/conditioner. Would also recommend Pureology, you can get this much cheaper on LookFantastic.com than Peter Marks.

Third this. And the anti breakage fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dankore

Have you tried keratin hair restoration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Galadriel wrote: »
    I feel your pain OP my hair is the same :( I haven't bleached/coloured it since February and the roots are driving me crazy now.

Can someone please please recommend a good hairdresser in Dublin (either city centre or south Dublin) as I really want to get a colour and cut soon. I don't mind paying but I'm sick of going to places and coming out with bad colour, you feel like a mug!
    Can highly recommend Mask Hair on Grafton St. lady that owns it used to run Cowboys & Angels, her brother works there too, both excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

My hair was severely bleach damaged, and I bought the Pureology Strength Cure shampoo & conditioner. Its expensive but I truly believe the combination of that, 16 week blowdry and less heat on my hair (as a result of the blow dry) is what has it back in good condition. I buy the shampoo & conditioner now in litre bottles from amazon, which works out much cheaper than buying in a salon and they last me normally around 2 months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

"kcdiom wrote: »
    I buy the shampoo & conditioner now in litre bottles from amazon, which works out much cheaper than buying in a salon and they last me normally around 2 months

Just curious about how often you wash your hair? A 250ml bottle of shampoo or conditioner lasts me several months, and a litre would last about a year! That’s with washing my hair every 3 days.

Faith wrote: »
    Just curious about how often you wash your hair? A 250ml bottle of shampoo or conditioner lasts me several months, and a litre would last about a year! That’s with washing my hair every 3 days.

I wash 2/3 times a week, always shampoo twice and am generous with my conditioner....my hair is thick and a decent length also. On top of this, I have a teenager who I suspect helps herself!

A 250ml bottle of supermarket shampoo wouldnt even last a month for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I had my hair stripped and it was destroyed after. The only thing that worked for me was Redken extreme . It really improved the condition of my hair. It's pricey stuff so I'd shop around online for it. I use the shampoo and conditioner and every few weeks the extreme strength builder mask.
    This stuff is magic. Get the Redken CAT spray too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

kcdiom wrote: »
    I wash 2/3 times a week, always shampoo twice and am generous with my conditioner....my hair is thick and a decent length also. On top of this, I have a teenager who I suspect helps herself!

A 250ml bottle of supermarket shampoo wouldnt even last a month for me!

I shampoo twice and use lots of conditioner, but have shoulder length fine hair. I use Redken products, so not supermarket quality. I’d say your teenager is quite certainly helping herself!! :D

I shampoo twice and use lots of conditioner, but have shoulder length fine hair. I use Redken products, so not supermarket quality. I’d say your teenager is quite certainly helping herself!! :D

She quite likely is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi, sorry, another hair thread but just wanted advice on my particular situation!

A hairdresser ruined my hair a while back (put way too much bleach in) my hair broke off and is now so thin, it’s half the thickness it used to be and even though this was 7 months ago my hair doesn’t seem any better.

I’ve stopped getting highlights and had my hair colour changed to an all over ginger colour. I’ve started taking hair vitamins and putting coconut oil in once a week. Is there anything else I can do? It’s so damaged and dull and I just want it back to the way it was!

I had really bad damaged hair and i was reccommended the system professional hair care range and they have totally transformed my hair doesnt even break anymore. My hair is thin enough and ever since i used the shampoo and treatment it has transformed it

revoke12 wrote: »
    I had really bad damaged hair and i was reccommended the system professional hair care range and they have totally transformed my hair doesnt even break anymore. My hair is thin enough and ever since i used the shampoo and treatment it has transformed it

LOVE their Reconstructive Elixir Oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

poppies2 wrote: »
    LOVE their Reconstructive Elixir Oil.

Never used this but will most def look into it. Cnt recommend these products enough and lookfantastic stock them now which is even better.

revoke12 wrote: »
      Never used this but will most def look into it. Cnt recommend these products enough and lookfantastic stock them now which is even better.

I have dry, coloured and frizzy hair and it's honestly the best thing I've ever got for it!

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

System Professional is really good, would also recommend it. Pureology is also brilliant but I've only tried their colour care range, I'm sure they have a range for damaged hair as well.

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

missmatty wrote: »
      Pureology is also brilliant but I've only tried their colour care range, I'm sure they have a range for damaged hair as well.

Pureology is fantastic. My hair was in an awful state a few years ago due to too much highlighting and I suspect, cheap products used by the particular hairdresser (my hair went from being blonde to multi-coloured and extremely broken & dry). So I went to a recommended local salon who advised me to start using sulphate free shampoo and I went for Pureology. I've tried their hydrating, strengthening, blonde ranges, and now on the smooth perfection one. It's a around €40 for shampoo & conditioner, but it lasts ages (as you only need to use a small amount, not like regular shampoo), so worth it imo.

3. Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do people rate brands like Pureology over Redken? I've had differing opinions from professionals (some claimed Redken was middle of the road for professional-level products, others said it's top of the line). I tried one line of Pureology shampoos and conditioners but didn't rate them. I've been using Redken for a few years now, but I'm growing my hair for the first time in 3.5 years and it's starting to feel a bit dry, even though I use a Kerastase conditioning treatment every week or two. I'm wondering if I should give another brand a try for a while...

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Do people rate brands like Pureology over Redken? I've had differing opinions from professionals (some claimed Redken was middle of the road for professional-level products, others said it's top of the line). I tried one line of Pureology shampoos and conditioners but didn't rate them. I've been using Redken for a few years now, but I'm growing my hair for the first time in 3.5 years and it's starting to feel a bit dry, even though I use a Kerastase conditioning treatment every week or two. I'm wondering if I should give another brand a try for a while...

I personally found redken very severe on my hair found it made mine dry. Now it prob does work well for others but for me I was not a fan of the shampoo and conditioner.

5. Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

Does anyone have any recommendations of shampoos/conditioners that will help with frizz?

My hair was in awful condition from bleaching and straightening, but I've been using Joico K-Pak Colour Therapy for the best of two years now and it's so much better. No more split ends and my hair is much thicker and less brittle. The only issue I have now is frizz. It's naturally quite straight but the minute I leave the house and the air hits it it looks like I haven't brushed it in weeks. I've tried serums and creams and I hate the feeling of them in my hair, and I'd much rather some sort of taming shampoo if there's any out there that work!

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Anastasia_ wrote: »
      Does anyone have any recommendations of shampoos/conditioners that will help with frizz?

My hair was in awful condition from bleaching and straightening, but I've been using Joico K-Pak Colour Therapy for the best of two years now and it's so much better. No more split ends and my hair is much thicker and less brittle. The only issue I have now is frizz. It's naturally quite straight but the minute I leave the house and the air hits it it looks like I haven't brushed it in weeks. I've tried serums and creams and I hate the feeling of them in my hair, and I'd much rather some sort of taming shampoo if there's any out there that work!

have you tried some of the moroccan oil i find it tames frizz could be the shampoo your using may be a bit harsh and causing frizz too maybe?

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Anastasia_ wrote: »

Not so much a shampoo/conditioner but the Colour Wow Dream Coat is amazing! Or I also swear by the 16 week blow dry

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

kcdiom wrote: »
      Not so much a shampoo/conditioner but the Colour Wow Dream Coat is amazing! Or I also swear by the 16 week blow dry

I'll check out the Wow Dream Coat, thanks! Are 16 week blow drys not really bad for your hair?

As for Moroccan Oil, I have an absolute fear of putting anything with the word 'oil' in it near my hair after spending nearly three weeks trying to get coconut oil out of it :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement