Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed

Options
  • 25-11-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Might be a big ask but, my cars handbrake failed and is now stuck on the hill I live one!

Asking if anyone may have a jeep/4x4 to come pull it out? Won’t be hard just need something powerful (its only a mini stuck)have a Yaris but not powerful enough! Have pictures of someone wants! Or anyone’s knows another option I could have? Number is <SNIP>

Located in hollymount, on the lee road! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If you pull it out you could snap the handbrake cable
    Have you comprehensive insurance? If you do then you probably have breakdown cover. They'll come and sort it free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭White Clover

What do you mean by failed? Is it stuck on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OisinMurray

.red. wrote: »
    If you pull it out you could snap the handbrake cable
    Have you comprehensive insurance? If you do then you probably have breakdown cover. They'll come and sort it free of charge.

Got break down assistance to come, they brought a bit truck, wouldn’t have got up! Then then rang me back saying that it’s need a crane to get out and would cost €400, would then have to claim that with insurance and lose no claims

What do you mean by failed? Is it stuck on ?

As in it held car on the hill for about 20 minutes. Was just. Or strong enough I think! Hear my alarm go off and it was cause car was rolling down the hill!
    It will go off no bother car just isn’t budging, one wheel just spinning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

As in it held car on the hill for about 20 minutes. Was just. Or strong enough I think! Hear my alarm go off and it was cause car was rolling down the hill!
    It will go off no bother car just isn’t budging, one wheel just spinning

Sorry, I thought the handbrake was jammed and you couldn't move it.
    Is it stuck in a ditch or something after rolling? If the handbrake is jammed it shouldn't have rolled??
    The handbrake will lock the back wheels and the car should be front wheel drive so something else is wrong if only one wheel spins when you accelerate.

If one wheel is spinning cos it's in soft mud put a plank of wood in by the tyre so it grips that for traction. Try and move it this way in 2nd gear.

If you do get it moved leave it parked in gear so it can't roll again. Put a block behind the wheels if your worried about it going again.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought the handbrake was jammed and you couldn't move it.
    Is it stuck in a ditch or something after rolling? If the handbrake is jammed it shouldn't have rolled??
    The handbrake will lock the back wheels and the car should be front wheel drive so something else is wrong if only one wheel spins when you accelerate.

If one wheel is spinning cos it's in soft mud put a plank of wood in by the tyre so it grips that for traction. Try and move it this way in 2nd gear.

If you do get it moved leave it parked in gear so it can't roll again. Put a block behind the wheels if your worried about it going again.

Yea it was stuck at a tree, awkward angle so car couldnt pull itself out! Got it sorted eventually, took recovery company over 2 hours and cost me €180:(

Yea I usually leave it in gear this was first time I forgot, took half hour for it to actually start rolling. I believe only one wheel on my car was spinning was because I have a limited slip differential!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How did you park by a tree in Hollymount? Did you mount a kerb?

Advertisement