Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which brake pads/discs would you recommend for me to buy?

• 25-11-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Lads,
    I'm a bit new to the forum, so forgive me if I post in the wrong place.
    It seemed my corolla 10, need front discs and pads replacement.
    This is my first time to buy parts myself, and I appreciate your recommendations on the following available OEM discs:

ABS
    Quaro
    Metzger
    Sbs
    Textar
    Herth+Buss
    Denkermann
    NK
    Blueprint

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

None of these.

Mtec Brakes up North and Mintex pads - my choice for corollas I had/have. Never let me down.

You're welcome. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't drive a Toyota but I use Blueprint brake pads, oil, fuel and air filters in my own and the wife's cars and can say never had an issue and they are good value.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

joujoujou wrote: »
    None of these.

Mtec Brakes up North and Mintex pads - my choice for corollas I had/have. Never let me down.

Mtec would not be renowned for quality.
    Op from your list textar would probably be the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

I have the 2007 corolla and have used both main dealer disks and aftermarket i found apec good recommended for me by retired toyota mechanic. Also have tried motor factor brand unknown my mechanic used them had issues and blueprint also before this and both became warped had issues but my mechanic put main dealer ones on now and says they look a bit different but always had issues getting parts only right is they fit auris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭FDave

joujoujou wrote: »
    None of these.

Mintex are only average and id only consider them if the price is right.
    For very good oem options id go for
    Pagid or Textar

Trw, ate brembo all good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Textar, Mintex and Pagid are all the same company. TMD Friction.

ATE are OEM on many Models as are TRW/Lucas.

OEM parts are usually more expensive in most cases but not always, but I know that OEM stuff by and large is superior to most aftermarket stuff.
    You only have to look at your own cars brakes and if they are original they are now 8 years old and have been fine for that length of time.
    Price them from a Main dealer and check online as well, I have bought a lot of genuine parts online from dealers that sell stuff on Ebay at very good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Textar, Mintex and Pagid are all the same company. TMD Friction.

ATE are OEM on many Models as are TRW/Lucas.

OEM parts are usually more expensive in most cases but not always, but I know that OEM stuff by and large is superior to most aftermarket stuff.
    You only have to look at your own cars brakes and if they are original they are now 8 years old and have been fine for that length of time.
    Price them from a Main dealer and check online as well, I have bought a lot of genuine parts online from dealers that sell stuff on Ebay at very good prices.

This is very true. Picked up two genuine Mazda wishbones for 57 sterling each. The Mazda dealer wanted them gone from their stock so they flogged them off at a very good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is there any particular reason why you think the discs need replacing aswell? Unless they are warped and the steering is vibrating under braking I wouldn't bother as oem are always going to be way better than aftermarket and eight years is not that old if the mileage is not high.
    This dealer lead fallacy that pads can't be replaced without replacing the discs (I've also changed discs without changing good pads with no issues whatsoever) seems to have crept in over the last few years. It is a little bugbear of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Is there any particular reason why you think the discs need replacing aswell? Unless they are warped and the steering is vibrating under braking I wouldn't bother as oem are always going to be way better than aftermarket and eight years is not that old if the mileage is not high.
    This dealer lead fallacy that pads can't be replaced without replacing the discs (I've also changed discs without changing good pads with no issues whatsoever) seems to have crept in over the last few years. It is a little bugbear of mine.

The max wear allowed on most discs is under 1mm per side, after 8 years id imagine rust will be pretty bad in the vents and it will be time for replacement.
    Some cars will get 2 sets of pads to one set of discs but generally no more than that. The likes of an e60 or f10 BMW for instance needs discs pretty much every pad change.
    Doesn't stop people slapping a set of pads on and say ah sure it will be grand though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Blue print are cheap and fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

rex-x wrote: »
    The max wear allowed on most discs is under 1mm per side, after 8 years id imagine rust will be pretty bad in the vents and it will be time for replacement.
    Some cars will get 2 sets of pads to one set of discs but generally no more than that. The likes of an e60 or f10 BMW for instance needs discs pretty much every pad change.
    Doesn't stop people slapping a set of pads on and say ah sure it will be grand though.....

A load of dealer bollox. Real world service schedule is run the bastards right into the vents or until they are an NCT fail, whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 egyman

Thanks a lot gents for your generous replies,
    Indeed, I did not feel much issues with my current discs+pads set. However, when I checked the car with Toyota, they advised me to replace them as they are not within Toyota recommendations.
    After adding other 10K KM on my car, I checked with a mechanic, and he gave me the same recommendations.

Toyota's cost is almost double the cost, if I went on my own and replace with aftermarket sets, regardless of labour cost which 100 euros.

What do you think! Does it worth to try the after market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

egyman wrote: »
    Thanks a lot gents for your generous replies,
    Indeed, I did not feel much issues with my current discs+pads set. However, when I checked the car with Toyota, they advised me to replace them as they are not within Toyota recommendations.
    After adding other 10K KM on my car, I checked with a mechanic, and he gave me the same recommendations.

Toyota's cost is almost double the cost, if I went on my own and replace with aftermarket sets, regardless of labour cost which 100 euros.

What do you think! Does it worth to try the after market?

Not within Toyota recommendations is quite frankly bullsh1t. The only advice you need follow or can trust is that of your nct tester and if they don't mention them then they are fine.
    Save your money and just replace the pads if they're worn, it doesn't really matter which ones you choose as they'll all still stop your car, which is all you need to worry about at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't agree.
    Brakes are the one thing that you can't skimp on and just because an NCT tester passes them doesn't mean they are good.
    I have seen many examples of cars with recent NCT tests needing replacement pads and discs. The NCT doesn't even check the disc thickness, they can't.
    The little disclaimer that the NCT test has is that the car was fine on the day it was tested.
    Once you drive away its your problem.
    OP buy a pair of ATE, TRW or Pagid discs and a set of pads from the same manufacturer. This will be in the region of I would guess €100 for the discs and another €50 for the pads.
    I don't know how much brake replacement costs in labour but I wouldn't think that it would be much more than 1:30 in time to replace discs and pads.

Advertisement