Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facial features change after getting DENTURES

• 25-11-2018 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Heya folks

I recently got full dentures fitted- both upper and lower.

Obviously with the amount of extractions and trauma involved, there was bound to be some swelling.

This was a few weeks ago, and the pain and swelling has reduced, however my upper dentures are causing me to have hamster/gerbil cheeks.

I know it’s not swelling, as when I take out the dentures I have a strong jawline and nice cheekbones, but when put back in, I’m back to being puffy/bloated.

I don’t know whether the dentures need to or can be modified by my dentist so they won’t be as prominent this causing my cheeks to be fuller, but it’s making me really down- I am now more insecure with a puffy face than I was with bad teeth :(

I’m delighted with the dentures and my smile over all but this is getting me down.

I have an appointment with my dentist Friday to check how my gums are healing after extractions- is there anything he can do for me?

I hate how they’ve changed my face- looks like I’m perpetually wearing gum shields and looks completely in natural even though my teeth now look great

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Immediate dentures often have the teeth set out further than you might like, its because there is no room to bring them back further because the bone and gum have not yet resorbed. This is especially true if your teeth were remove due to dental decay rather than gum disease.

Also you dont get the oppertunity to try in the teeth, and immediate temporary dentures are a guess as to where the new teeth should go, the final dentures will be more custom.

Discuss with your dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 The Verdict

Immediate dentures often have the teeth set out further than you might like, its because there is no room to bring them back further because the bone and gum have not yet resorbed. This is especially true if your teeth were remove due to dental decay rather than gum disease.

Also you dont get the oppertunity to try in the teeth, and immediate temporary dentures are a guess as to where the new teeth should go, the final dentures will be more custom.

Discuss with your dentist.

When I see him Friday- as the upper dentures will have been in 3 weeks and it feels like the gum is healing really well (he confirmed this when I saw him on Thursday), will he be able to modify the upper immediate temporary dentures so they won’t be as protruding?

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a case of swelling as when they’re out, my face returns to its normal shape, and doesn’t look like I’ve got cotton wool in my mouth on either side.

At least before I could hide my smile but with this chubbiness in the face there’s no getting away with it

Thanks again :)

no the teeth cant be moved, but I assume a final set of dentures is planned after a suitable healing period.

no the teeth cant be moved, but I assume a final set of dentures is planned after a suitable healing period.

Oh ok

And what is a normal suitable healing period?

2 to 3 months usually.

• Advertisement

2 to 3 months usually.

Is I’m literally caught between a rock and a hard place- there’s no way around this?

Anyone else with full upper and lower dentures have similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WardonGordon

Is I’m literally caught between a rock and a hard place- there’s no way around this?

The purpose of the bone your teeth is in is to house the teeth.
    When you have no teeth it remodels.
    It changes in height and width , up to 50% dimensional change.
    If you make the denture now the fit will be loose as the ridge remodels and will be a poor end result with relines etc.. Unfortunately no way around it.

The purpose of the bone your teeth is in is to house the teeth.
    When you have no teeth it remodels.
    It changes in height and width , up to 50% dimensional change.
    If you make the denture now the fit will be loose as the ridge remodels and will be a poor end result with relines etc.. Unfortunately no way around it.

Really?

I've seen people get full dentures and their face, cheeks and upper lip weren't protruding out.

Nowadays instead of people saying nice teeth, which I thought they might as they look really good, theyre saying 'have you got something in your mouth :(

Surely the denture can be trimmed even slightly or brought back in closer to the gum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Really?

I've seen people get full dentures and their face, cheeks and upper lip weren't protruding out.

Nowadays instead of people saying nice teeth, which I thought they might as they look really good, theyre saying 'have you got something in your mouth :(

Surely the denture can be trimmed even slightly or brought back in closer to the gum?

No one here has seen you or your specific situation...
    Maybe you have a lot of healing to do and the denture was prominent because of that... maybe you don't and the denture is unnecessarily prominent right now.....

what we can probably say is that significant changes to the denture can't be made at this stage. It sounds like you need the whole denture to go up and back... This is not achieved by adjusting the teeth on the denture but rather the denture base...
    It is a start again job and if this is what you have done now then you should probably expect to have to redo it again in a few months after some more healing and bone/gum changes...

Again, i haven't seen you so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

The appointment you have with your dentist this Friday is precisely to assess& discuss your healing& the dentures,& for you to give feedback as well. It's pointless worrying & second guessing until after you've gone back for that review appointment.

Advertisement