Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

OOnegative wrote: »
    If you decide to race it your realistically looking at a full weeks recovery next week which might throw your marathon training off kilter. It’s entirely your decision of course but if it was me and the marathon was the main thing i’d be running Bohermeen at MP at the very quickest.

I’m hopefully going to stick to this advice next week at bohermeen too- cheers OOnegative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Quick question regarding “hill training” to build endurance- should i be building my mid week runs around a route with a good elevation or is there enough endurance in the beginners Marathon plan to keep me honest?

If you can make use of hills in your runs, do so, great for building endurance be it at easy pace or something faster. It will stand to you big time further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ok, so Bohermeen half marathon coming up in a week's time (I'm planning on racing it) and I'm guessing I'll need to introduce some tapering for the week ahead.

The 10k-half plan has the following for the coming week:

Monday - 20 mins rec or OFF
    Tuesday - 60 mins very easy
    Wednesday - 8 x 1 min hills (2-3 mins rec)
    Thursday - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Saturday - 30 min tempo

Any thoughts on what would be the best approach?

Thanks in advance!

coogy wrote: »
    Ok, so Bohermeen half marathon coming up in a week's time (I'm planning on racing it) and I'm guessing I'll need to introduce some tapering for the week ahead.

The 10k-half plan has the following for the coming week:

Monday - 20 mins rec or OFF
    Tuesday - 60 mins very easy
    Wednesday - 8 x 1 min hills (2-3 mins rec)
    Thursday - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Saturday - 30 min tempo

Any thoughts on what would be the best approach?

Thanks in advance!

Drop the 20 mins rec on Monday and move the other runs back a day, drop the 30 minute tempo Saturday altogether and either rest that day or 20 mins very easy.

Thanks a million!
    I would rarely (if ever) run on a Monday anyway but it was my intention to start upping the weekly mileage and was planing on doing Monday runs from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I'm thinking of not running the Bohermeen half on Sunday.
    I'm dying to see can I bring my half time down and they have pacers for the exact time I want too! The temptation would be too much. Running it at MP wouldn't feel "enough" if that makes sense.

So, I'm thinking about letting it go and just continue on with my training plan this week. Keep the main thing the main thing.

I think there's a question in there somewhere...

I'm thinking of not running the Bohermeen half on Sunday.
    I'm dying to see can I bring my half time down and they have pacers for the exact time I want too! The temptation would be too much. Running it at MP wouldn't feel "enough" if that makes sense.

So, I'm thinking about letting it go and just continue on with my training plan this week. Keep the main thing the main thing.

I think there's a question in there somewhere...

Haha, I've been having similar concerns to you but my worry is that I'm taking this on to soon into the 10k-half marathon plan.
    I've committed to it now (I've just had someone else's race number transferred into my name) so I'm not pulling out now but I would probably have the same difficulty as you in not racing it.

You are clearly putting everything into your training for Manchester and it would be a pity for all that hard work to be undone if you were to pick up a niggle at Bohermeen.

I think there's an answer in there somewhere.......:D

Haha, I've been having similar concerns to you but my worry is that I'm taking this on to soon into the 10k-half marathon plan.
    I've committed to it now (I've just had someone else's race number transferred into my name) so I'm not pulling out now but I would probably have the same difficulty as you in not racing it.

You are clearly putting everything into your training for Manchester and it would be a pity for all that hard work to be undone if you were to pick up a niggle at Bohermeen.

I think there's an answer in there somewhere.......:D

Yup I want to keep my racing legs for Manchester. I was actually with my physio this morning to nip a potential niggle in the bud. Ah darn it anyway...

Thanks for the honest answer coogy.

Yup I want to keep my racing legs for Manchester. I was actually with my physio this morning to nip a potential niggle in the bud. Ah darn it anyway...

Thanks for the honest answer coogy.

I actually have my eye on Manchester for next year. My wife's from there so there'll be loads of moral support!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Unsurprisingly I don't agree!! :pac::pac:

I think this is an ideal opportunity to improve your pacing skills. Too many people go out on training runs and afterwards say they ran much faster than planned. This is just an indiscipline and can be practised out. Just blank the idea of a half PB out of your head and take control of your running. Pick your MP and run to it. It's something you are going to have to do more and more on your running journey. :)

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »

I think this is an ideal opportunity to improve your pacing skills. Too many people go out on training runs and afterwards say they ran much faster than planned. This is just an indiscipline and can be practised out. Just blank the idea of a half PB out of your head and take control of your running. Pick your MP and run to it. It's something you are going to have to do more and more on your running journey. :)

This is my goal for Sunday, and you both realise there is an ice cream van yeah?

This is my goal for Sunday, and you both realise there is an ice cream van yeah?

The only creamy stuff I will be having will be on top of a few dirty black pints!!

The only creamy stuff I will be having will be on top of a few dirty black pints!!

Where are we off to?

Where are we off to?

I'll be loitering until the doors open at 4pm in O Connells of Skryne!!

That's exactly what I was going to say next.......😊

That's exactly what I was going to say next.......😊

Ye all know it's a bugbear of mine. I remember asking a question early on the novices thread where I wondered what people who say they can't run slow would do if they went for a jog with their 5 year old. They would find a way to adjust their pace. It's not hard to do. Trying to argue otherwise is just making excuses for wanting to run faster.

That being said I have only ever run one race at MP that wasn't a marathon...the 2017 Frank Duffy and I swore I'd never do it again. It was horrible. But the control needed was invaluable for future races.

I forgot about the ice cream van F! Ha ha! OK, I'm back in.... Maybe.... Will there be fig rolls?

Ye all know it's a bugbear of mine. I remember asking a question early on the novices thread where I wondered what people who say they can't run slow would do if they went for a jog with their 5 year old. They would find a way to adjust their pace. It's not hard to do. Trying to argue otherwise is just making excuses for wanting to run faster.

That being said I have only ever run one race at MP that wasn't a marathon...the 2017 Frank Duffy and I swore I'd never do it again. It was horrible. But the control needed was invaluable for future races.

You've never put me wrong S and lord knows I need the discipline.

I actually have my eye on Manchester for next year. My wife's from there so there'll be loads of moral support!!!!

Cool! You may as well if you have family there too. They'll make a great fuss of you I'm sure.

I've got my eye on some races for next year that would double up as a nice way to visit my family too. This year is kinda jammed!

You've never put me wrong S and lord knows I need the discipline.

So what's the plan? :-p

• Advertisement

If someone developed a sore shin a little over a week before taper, what rest would you go with? Few days? Would the rest impact training hugely? I know running through pain isn't an option.
    Thanks

If someone developed a sore shin a little over a week before taper, what rest would you go with? Few days? Would the rest impact training hugely? I know running through pain isn't an option.
    Thanks

Rest till the pain is gone, impact on training depends on how many days you miss to be honest. I tried running through shin-splints many years ago, not advisable at all. I suffer still every now and then:

https://youtu.be/Z2G5WCJBpps

Second exercise on this clip I find hugely beneficial to help.

Rest till the pain is gone, impact on training depends on how many days you miss to be honest. I tried running through shin-splints many years ago, not advisable at all. I suffer still every now and then:

https://youtu.be/Z2G5WCJBpps

Second exercise on this clip I find hugely beneficial to help.

Thanks OOnegative. Physio recommended similar and I've been stretching and rolling all week. It has helped.

Thanks OOnegative. Physio recommended similar and I've been stretching and rolling all week. It has helped.

Only other thing I can think of & i’m sure you’ve thought of it already, but how are your runners? If they are in need of replacing it can bring on shin pain.

Only other thing I can think of & i’m sure you’ve thought of it already, but how are your runners? If they are in need of replacing it can bring on shin pain.

Yeah my physio feels its my shoes as I changed them a month ago. Same make I always wear but for some reason these new ones don't feel quite the same. First time I bought shoes online, I usually go in store. He recommended I go back to my old shoes but they already have a marathon on them! Now I know why runners have so many shoes to rotate!

Yeah my physio feels its my shoes as I changed them a month ago. Same make I always wear but for some reason these new ones don't feel quite the same. First time I bought shoes online, I usually go in store. He recommended I go back to my old shoes but they already have a marathon on them! Now I know why runners have so many shoes to rotate!

Same model? Running companies are forever changing there shoes to our detriment!! I ran in nothing else but adidas Boston’s for 2-3 years then they went along and changed them and I ended up injured running in the new model.

Try find another pair of the same model you had if you are able?

Same model? Running companies are forever changing there shoes to our detriment!! I ran in nothing else but adidas Boston’s for 2-3 years then they went along and changed them and I ended up injured running in the new model.

Try find another pair of the same model you had if you are able?

I wouldn't have thought of that happening! Everyday is a school day. Gosh. I went back to my old shoes earlier this week and all was good. Tried my new ones this morning and not so good.
    I thought the new shoes were the same but the number is different...
    I've just ordered a new pair of the EXACT model I'm used to. Hopefully they arrive soon.

I wouldn't have thought of that happening! Everyday is a school day. Gosh. I went back to my old shoes earlier this week and all was good. Tried my new ones this morning and not so good.
    I thought the new shoes were the same but the number is different...
    I've just ordered a new pair of the EXACT model I'm used to. Hopefully they arrive soon.

Models might be same name but companies are forever tweeking them to improve them ever so slightly. Last thing i’ll advise & will leave you be then, rubbing a bar of soap up & down the troubled area while showering is good to, painful while doing it but you feel the benefits later.

Best of luck to any Grads racing/running Bohermeen in the morning, hope the weather is kind guys.

• Advertisement

I’m hopefully going to stick to this advice next week at bohermeen too- cheers OOnegative

Life’s too short- ;), ran a 1.52 today in bohermeen instead of an earlier planned 2hrs!

Looking forward to running with the Belfast 4hr pacers now instead of the 4:15 pacers!

Advertisement