Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It's very quiet in here...

How are everyone's plans going? What sessions are you liking / hating from the grads plans (if you're following those)??

@Applegirl how are the legs feeling, you must be getting close to the taper now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ReeReeG wrote: »

How are everyone's plans going? What sessions are you liking / hating from the grads plans (if you're following those)??

@Applegirl how are the legs feeling, you must be getting close to the taper now?

Hi V.
    Yes, sure is quiet alright!!! Am currently approaching the end of week 4 of the grads 10k-half marathon plan.
    I'm really liking the twice-weekly sessions and even at this early stage, I can feel the benefits. I've introduced regular drill and core work a few times a week too (something I did much too little of last year).
    Can't say that there's anything I dislike about it really, there's plenty of variety from week to week. Another thing I've noticed is that because of the variety of paces in the plan, I'm now really enjoying my easy runs a lot more as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

86db614ebc08f171f05a451fc04ca93c--running-injury-quotes-running-humor.jpg

Update due Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Ah yeah, loving the grads plan, Belfast is fast approaching and I’m feeling strong with every session.

Mixed it up a little yesterday, did a 4*1/4mile Hill sprint session....loved it. Thought I’d feel wrecked but actually felt great after (maybe I did it wrong!! ;)) ....then I went out for dinner that night and filled my gills with a steak....

2hr 15 easy run in the morning and according to a lot of weather reports.....it’s gonna be raining!

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    2hr 15 easy run in the morning and according to a lot of weather reports.....it’s gonna be raining!

Haha, I love the rain!!!

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Haha, I love the rain!!!

Once I’m out.....I’m grand.....it’s the walking out the door bit is the mental challenge :)

Dealerz2.0 wrote:
    Once I’m out.....I’m grand.....it’s the walking out the door bit is the mental challenge

No bother to ya! Hope it goes well :)

juke wrote:
    Update due Tuesday

Hope it's a positive one J, you've been very patient listening to the rest of us talking about running!

No bother to ya! Hope it goes well :)

Mental challenge bit is now fixed, I’ve to meet another runner at 7:15- can’t not turn up now :)

Hope it's a positive one J, you've been very patient listening to the rest of us talking about running!

Going to be honest.....not too much regrets given the wind this week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

juke wrote: »
    86db614ebc08f171f05a451fc04ca93c--running-injury-quotes-running-humor.jpg

Update due Tuesday

Sorry to hear that! It really sucks big time. I know you've been off with injury but is the doc ordering you off for a much longer timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

My plan for March was to get cracking on moving my runs from 3 a week to 4! Then I woke up to hear rain lashing on my window (and the blow dry would get ruined before my night out tonight) so decided to read boards instead! Realised I hadn’t caught up in THREE months, feel bad!! Using strava to keep up to date but I’ve missed out on lots of good stuff on here!! Although it has now panicked me that I’m not doing enough!! Keep debating starting the grads plan and then my run coach who’s on maternity leave texts through a weeks plan and I just follow that instead!! Trying to do a race a month to keep me focused on short stuff until May and have days of loving running and days of dragging my ass around but I need to get a bit more focused! Especially after reading through all of what you guys are doing!! Good luck to anyone running today, hope the blow drys survive ;-)

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    My plan for March was to get cracking on moving my runs from 3 a week to 4! Then I woke up to hear rain lashing on my window (and the blow dry would get ruined before my night out tonight) so decided to read boards instead! Realised I hadn’t caught up in THREE months, feel bad!! Using strava to keep up to date but I’ve missed out on lots of good stuff on here!! Although it has now panicked me that I’m not doing enough!! Keep debating starting the grads plan and then my run coach who’s on maternity leave texts through a weeks plan and I just follow that instead!! Trying to do a race a month to keep me focused on short stuff until May and have days of loving running and days of dragging my ass around but I need to get a bit more focused! Especially after reading through all of what you guys are doing!! Good luck to anyone running today, hope the blow drys survive ;-)

Sounds like you’re flying with what your coach is giving, fair play! And you’re right the blow dry hair didn’t survive the run.

Sorry to hear that! It really sucks big time. I know you've been off with injury but is the doc ordering you off for a much longer timeframe?

Dr's orders were a setback only.

I had to cancel my last an appointment with my physio on account of resembling the elephant man :eek: due to a rather extreme reaction to prescribed medication (for an allergy :rolleyes:) 2 weeks ago.

New bloods taken, and Dr. now says I'm a picture of health. Calf feels fine, but I haven't attempted to run. Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dr's orders were a setback only.

I had to cancel my last an appointment with my physio on account of resembling the elephant man :eek: due to a rather extreme reaction to prescribed medication (for an allergy :rolleyes:) 2 weeks ago.

New bloods taken, and Dr. now says I'm a picture of health. Calf feels fine, but I haven't attempted to run. Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

Jeez that’s rough J, I could have told you that you were a picture of health!!! Hope there’s positive news Tuesday for you.

Right, I've just remembered that my OH is away for a few days this weekend which places a major spanner in the works as far as this week's runs go.
    Here's the schedule:
    Mon - 20 mins recovery or OFF
    Tues - 60 mins very easy
    Weds - 8 x 1 min hills w/2-3 min rec
    Thurs - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Sat - 15 mins tempo, 4 min rec, 10 mins threshold
    Sun - 1hr, 45 min easy

Friday is touch and go (unless I fit in a morning run), Saturday is definitely out of the question and Sunday's not looking too hot either.
    I'm wondering if I shift everything back a day starting tomorrow (Monday) with a 60 mins very easy run and ending with the tempo/threshold session on the Friday.
    I could conceivably do the long run on Sun evening but it will be late-ish.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Right, I've just remembered that my OH is away for a few days this weekend which places a major spanner in the works as far as this week's runs go.
    Here's the schedule:
    Mon - 20 mins recovery or OFF
    Tues - 60 mins very easy
    Weds - 8 x 1 min hills w/2-3 min rec
    Thurs - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Sat - 15 mins tempo, 4 min rec, 10 mins threshold
    Sun - 1hr, 45 min easy

Friday is touch and go (unless I fit in a morning run), Saturday is definitely out of the question and Sunday's not looking too hot either.
    I'm wondering if I shift everything back a day starting tomorrow (Monday) with a 60 mins very easy run and ending with the tempo/threshold session on the Friday.
    I could conceivably do the long run on Sun evening but it will be late-ish.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

I don’t see a problem with that. Ok it means a bit of time between fridays session and Sunday’s Long run but surely that wouldn’t be any harm for one week. I increased the pace of my last 3 miles in my 1:45 yesterday for that same reason though whether that is recommended by the more experienced people I’m not sure. Between Bohermeen and the week you have just finished you have been doing well anyway.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I don’t see a problem with that. Ok it means a bit of time between fridays session and Sunday’s Long run but surely that wouldn’t be any harm for one week. I increased the pace of my last 3 miles in my 1:45 yesterday for that same reason though whether that is recommended by the more experienced people I’m not sure. Between Bohermeen and the week you have just finished you have been doing well anyway.

Thanks K.

It's the sessions I'd be more concerned about missing as I feel they're the days that I'm really feeling are making the difference.
    Turns out I might not even be able to run today so that just messes things up even more!!
    It'll be one of those weeks where I'll have to just do what I can I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks K.

It's the sessions I'd be more concerned about missing as I feel they're the days that I'm really feeling are making the difference.
    Turns out I might not even be able to run today so that just messes things up even more!!
    It'll be one of those weeks where I'll have to just do what I can I guess.

I think I’ve misunderstood you - I thought you meant you could still do it all but a day earlier than usual and the long run a day later?

Just do what you can - real life has to get in the way unfortunately sometimes!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think I’ve misunderstood you - I thought you meant you could still do it all but a day earlier than usual and the long run a day later?

Just do what you can - real life has to get in the way unfortunately sometimes!

Yeah, I think I actually confused myself with my original post!!! :roll eyes:

It had all been going swimmingly until now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    It had all been going swimmingly until now!!!

Wouldn't worry too much. It's consecutive weeks of skipping runs is an issue. The odd week here and there needing rearranging is no biggie. Why not start tomorrow with the hills and continue as planned. Long run then Sunday.

Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

Any positive news yet?

After more sadistic dry needling, I have been told I may run/walk on grass for 15 minutes max, 1 min on/1 min off. If that's ok, I may very gradually increase the running time to 2 min on/1 off etc.

Feel like I've won a prize :D

Also been given balance exercises to do :(

After more sadistic dry needling, I have been told I may run/walk on grass for 15 minutes max, 1 min on/1 min off. If that's ok, I may very gradually increase the running time to 2 min on/1 off etc.

It’s positive in the sense you can run a bit, better than nothing and a step towards getting more running in hopefully if it goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That's great news J. Hopefully you will be back to full fitness soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

That's great that you can run even a wee bit. Uggh balance exercises! Reminds me of the exercises I had to do when I broke my leg years ago. It takes time but done right you will get back to full fitness. I was listening to a running podcast and they were saying that many running injuries can be prevented by doing foot drills, specifically single legged ones. I never heard of doing these for runners before but it makes sense as so much force goes down onto one leg. I must look into them as my ankle is still quite weak.

Coming up to the end of the 5k/10k grads plan and this 2nd last weekend has a 2k time trial. I was considering running parkrun hard instead.
    Does this seem reckless?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Coming up to the end of the 5k/10k grads plan and this 2nd last weekend has a 2k time trial. I was considering running parkrun hard instead.
    Does this seem reckless?

Have you a target race immediately after the plan?

skyblue46 wrote:
    Have you a target race immediately after the plan?

Oh yeah that's an important detail,sorry. National 10k Sunday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Oh yeah that's an important detail,sorry. National 10k Sunday week.

I'm sure racing Parkrun wouldn't kill you but if it was me I'd go with the mini taper that's in the plan. The 2k time trial is a nice sharpener and confidence booster and won't take much recovering from.

I'd use the first 3k as an easy warm up and then time trial the last 2k.

Advertisement