Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

juke wrote: »
    86db614ebc08f171f05a451fc04ca93c--running-injury-quotes-running-humor.jpg

Update due Tuesday

Sorry to hear that! It really sucks big time. I know you've been off with injury but is the doc ordering you off for a much longer timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aoifemcc19

ReeReeG wrote: »
    It's very quiet in here...

How are everyone's plans going? What sessions are you liking / hating from the grads plans (if you're following those)??

@Applegirl how are the legs feeling, you must be getting close to the taper now?

My plan for March was to get cracking on moving my runs from 3 a week to 4! Then I woke up to hear rain lashing on my window (and the blow dry would get ruined before my night out tonight) so decided to read boards instead! Realised I hadn’t caught up in THREE months, feel bad!! Using strava to keep up to date but I’ve missed out on lots of good stuff on here!! Although it has now panicked me that I’m not doing enough!! Keep debating starting the grads plan and then my run coach who’s on maternity leave texts through a weeks plan and I just follow that instead!! Trying to do a race a month to keep me focused on short stuff until May and have days of loving running and days of dragging my ass around but I need to get a bit more focused! Especially after reading through all of what you guys are doing!! Good luck to anyone running today, hope the blow drys survive ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Aoifemcc19 wrote: »
    My plan for March was to get cracking on moving my runs from 3 a week to 4! Then I woke up to hear rain lashing on my window (and the blow dry would get ruined before my night out tonight) so decided to read boards instead! Realised I hadn’t caught up in THREE months, feel bad!! Using strava to keep up to date but I’ve missed out on lots of good stuff on here!! Although it has now panicked me that I’m not doing enough!! Keep debating starting the grads plan and then my run coach who’s on maternity leave texts through a weeks plan and I just follow that instead!! Trying to do a race a month to keep me focused on short stuff until May and have days of loving running and days of dragging my ass around but I need to get a bit more focused! Especially after reading through all of what you guys are doing!! Good luck to anyone running today, hope the blow drys survive ;-)

Sounds like you’re flying with what your coach is giving, fair play! And you’re right the blow dry hair didn’t survive the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sorry to hear that! It really sucks big time. I know you've been off with injury but is the doc ordering you off for a much longer timeframe?

Dr's orders were a setback only.

I had to cancel my last an appointment with my physio on account of resembling the elephant man :eek: due to a rather extreme reaction to prescribed medication (for an allergy :rolleyes:) 2 weeks ago.

New bloods taken, and Dr. now says I'm a picture of health. Calf feels fine, but I haven't attempted to run. Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dr's orders were a setback only.

I had to cancel my last an appointment with my physio on account of resembling the elephant man :eek: due to a rather extreme reaction to prescribed medication (for an allergy :rolleyes:) 2 weeks ago.

New bloods taken, and Dr. now says I'm a picture of health. Calf feels fine, but I haven't attempted to run. Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

Jeez that’s rough J, I could have told you that you were a picture of health!!! Hope there’s positive news Tuesday for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Right, I've just remembered that my OH is away for a few days this weekend which places a major spanner in the works as far as this week's runs go.
    Here's the schedule:
    Mon - 20 mins recovery or OFF
    Tues - 60 mins very easy
    Weds - 8 x 1 min hills w/2-3 min rec
    Thurs - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Sat - 15 mins tempo, 4 min rec, 10 mins threshold
    Sun - 1hr, 45 min easy

Friday is touch and go (unless I fit in a morning run), Saturday is definitely out of the question and Sunday's not looking too hot either.
    I'm wondering if I shift everything back a day starting tomorrow (Monday) with a 60 mins very easy run and ending with the tempo/threshold session on the Friday.
    I could conceivably do the long run on Sun evening but it will be late-ish.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    Right, I've just remembered that my OH is away for a few days this weekend which places a major spanner in the works as far as this week's runs go.
    Here's the schedule:
    Mon - 20 mins recovery or OFF
    Tues - 60 mins very easy
    Weds - 8 x 1 min hills w/2-3 min rec
    Thurs - 60 mins very easy
    Friday - 60 mins very easy or OFF
    Sat - 15 mins tempo, 4 min rec, 10 mins threshold
    Sun - 1hr, 45 min easy

Friday is touch and go (unless I fit in a morning run), Saturday is definitely out of the question and Sunday's not looking too hot either.
    I'm wondering if I shift everything back a day starting tomorrow (Monday) with a 60 mins very easy run and ending with the tempo/threshold session on the Friday.
    I could conceivably do the long run on Sun evening but it will be late-ish.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

I don’t see a problem with that. Ok it means a bit of time between fridays session and Sunday’s Long run but surely that wouldn’t be any harm for one week. I increased the pace of my last 3 miles in my 1:45 yesterday for that same reason though whether that is recommended by the more experienced people I’m not sure. Between Bohermeen and the week you have just finished you have been doing well anyway.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I don’t see a problem with that. Ok it means a bit of time between fridays session and Sunday’s Long run but surely that wouldn’t be any harm for one week. I increased the pace of my last 3 miles in my 1:45 yesterday for that same reason though whether that is recommended by the more experienced people I’m not sure. Between Bohermeen and the week you have just finished you have been doing well anyway.

Thanks K.

It's the sessions I'd be more concerned about missing as I feel they're the days that I'm really feeling are making the difference.
    Turns out I might not even be able to run today so that just messes things up even more!!
    It'll be one of those weeks where I'll have to just do what I can I guess.

Thanks K.

It's the sessions I'd be more concerned about missing as I feel they're the days that I'm really feeling are making the difference.
    Turns out I might not even be able to run today so that just messes things up even more!!
    It'll be one of those weeks where I'll have to just do what I can I guess.

I think I’ve misunderstood you - I thought you meant you could still do it all but a day earlier than usual and the long run a day later?

Just do what you can - real life has to get in the way unfortunately sometimes!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think I’ve misunderstood you - I thought you meant you could still do it all but a day earlier than usual and the long run a day later?

Just do what you can - real life has to get in the way unfortunately sometimes!

Yeah, I think I actually confused myself with my original post!!! :roll eyes:

It had all been going swimmingly until now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    It had all been going swimmingly until now!!!

Wouldn't worry too much. It's consecutive weeks of skipping runs is an issue. The odd week here and there needing rearranging is no biggie. Why not start tomorrow with the hills and continue as planned. Long run then Sunday.

Hopefully Tuesday is more positive news.

Any positive news yet?

After more sadistic dry needling, I have been told I may run/walk on grass for 15 minutes max, 1 min on/1 min off. If that's ok, I may very gradually increase the running time to 2 min on/1 off etc.

Feel like I've won a prize :D

Also been given balance exercises to do :(

After more sadistic dry needling, I have been told I may run/walk on grass for 15 minutes max, 1 min on/1 min off. If that's ok, I may very gradually increase the running time to 2 min on/1 off etc.

It’s positive in the sense you can run a bit, better than nothing and a step towards getting more running in hopefully if it goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That's great news J. Hopefully you will be back to full fitness soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

That's great that you can run even a wee bit. Uggh balance exercises! Reminds me of the exercises I had to do when I broke my leg years ago. It takes time but done right you will get back to full fitness. I was listening to a running podcast and they were saying that many running injuries can be prevented by doing foot drills, specifically single legged ones. I never heard of doing these for runners before but it makes sense as so much force goes down onto one leg. I must look into them as my ankle is still quite weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Coming up to the end of the 5k/10k grads plan and this 2nd last weekend has a 2k time trial. I was considering running parkrun hard instead.
    Does this seem reckless?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Coming up to the end of the 5k/10k grads plan and this 2nd last weekend has a 2k time trial. I was considering running parkrun hard instead.
    Does this seem reckless?

Have you a target race immediately after the plan?

skyblue46 wrote:
    Have you a target race immediately after the plan?

Oh yeah that's an important detail,sorry. National 10k Sunday week.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah that's an important detail,sorry. National 10k Sunday week.

I'm sure racing Parkrun wouldn't kill you but if it was me I'd go with the mini taper that's in the plan. The 2k time trial is a nice sharpener and confidence booster and won't take much recovering from.

I'd use the first 3k as an easy warm up and then time trial the last 2k.

skyblue46 wrote:

Oh that's a nice idea! And still gives me my parkrun fix :)
    Thanks S!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm sure racing Parkrun wouldn't kill you but if it was me I'd go with the mini taper that's in the plan. The 2k time trial is a nice sharpener and confidence booster and won't take much recovering from.

Im in the same scerario. Is the 2k time trial at target race pace?

Omeceron wrote: »
    Im in the same scerario. Is the 2k time trial at target race pace?

No it's faster. A time trial is basically you running the 2k in your best possible time. I put a 5k time into the race time predictor and aimed for the 2k predicted time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi all,

Long term reader in here but first time poster.

Just a quick question on hills and maybe repeat intervals.

I have a route that I can fit in once every week or 2 depending on work that goes around a wind farm that rises from a starting point of 100m to a peak of 220m. With all the side tracks and trails you could literally do any distance run in various loops.
    Because of the undulating nature of the hill the course is constantly giving you a mix of gentle and hard inclines, flats and of course welcoming down hill bits.

Instead of treating this as a looped run would I be better to mix things up and do hill repeats on a particularly steep section instead? I think the steepest bit has something like a 12% incline.
    If I were to do this ideally what timing or distance should I be aiming for with these repeats? Or should I just continue running natural loops and concentrate on putting an extra effort into the inclines and treating the flatter or downhill sections as recovery?

Thanks

Ok, silly question alert! Can someone explain hill repeats to me please? Am I right in thinking that you do a warm up run for 1k or so, then run up the hill fast, run back down slowly, recover for 2/3 mins and then run up the hill again? During the recovery part do you run slowly up and down the road at the bottom of the hill until it it time to run the hill again or what do you do during the recovery part? Told you it was a silly question! I would like to try hill repeats but want to do them right.

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »
    Ok, silly question alert! Can someone explain hill repeats to me please? Am I right in thinking that you do a warm up run for 1k or so, then run up the hill fast, run back down slowly, recover for 2/3 mins and then run up the hill again? During the recovery part do you run slowly up and down the road at the bottom of the hill until it it time to run the hill again or what do you do during the recovery part? Told you it was a silly question! I would like to try hill repeats but want to do them right.

Do whatever warm up you normally do before a session, then run up your hill as fast as you can making sure to concentrate on form to and not to get to ragged, your recovery is the jog back down said hill then straight into the next one without any additional recovery at the bottom. Try hit the same point at the top of the hill each time or a bit further.

Thanks for that OOnegative, that's very helpful.

gypsylee wrote: »
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Do whatever warm up you normally do before a session, then run up your hill as fast as you can making sure to concentrate on form to and not to get to ragged, your recovery is the jog back down said hill then straight into the next one without any additional recovery at the bottom. Try hit the same point at the top of the hill each time or a bit further.

I set it up on my watch with 1 minute running up the hill and then 3 minutes to recover but I actually press the lap button when I’m ready to run the hill again as opposed the waiting for the 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This thread has been very quiet the last few days.....

....so who's going to be the DCM 2019 Novices Mentor? I do believe we're almost at that time again :eek::pac:

....so who's going to be the DCM 2019 Novices Mentor? I do believe we're almost at that time again :eek::pac:

How is the new Mentor picked J, always wondered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

How is the new Mentor picked J, always wondered?

For the last couple of years anyway, what has happened is roughly thus:-

One of the mods will contact the previous year's mentor, asking for a nomination for his/her successor. In 2017 and 2018, that contact was made roughly around now. Once they get that info back, the mod will then contact the intended mentor. If he/she agrees to take on the role, we have a winner, and that's when the real fun begins, as the new mentor starts the thread and hence sets the ball rolling, on what for the last number of years has been the busiest and the best thread in A/R here. In advance, I'd like to wish whoever takes it on the very best of luck :)

Ooh I’m looking forward to that thread starting again!

I think everyone is too busy getting pb’s-some fantastic pb’s even as recent as the GIR!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I think everyone is too busy getting pb’s-some fantastic pb’s even as recent as the GIR!

Subtle Dealerz2. 0! Ha!

Seeing as it’s coming up to that time and most Grads who have hung around post DCM now have there own logs, i’ll bow out now. It’s been fantastic following all you progress and here’s to many, many more years of the same. I hope I helped you out with your queries and questions and the knowledge or advice I imparted helped you out.

Look forward to following your logs and seeing many more PB’s posted as the years go on. If any of you need advice don’t hesitate to ask, as I said from the beginning if I don’t know I won’t answer but will do my best to point you in the right direction. Thanks to juke for asking me to help out & thanks for accepting me folks. Best of luck to the DCM 2019 mentor, happy running folks and as I say run well!!

Thanks for all your help- very much appreciated.

Seeing as it’s coming up to that time and most Grads who have hung around post DCM now have there own logs, i’ll bow out now. It’s been fantastic following all you progress and here’s to many, many more years of the same. I hope I helped you out with your queries and questions and the knowledge or advice I imparted helped you out.

Look forward to following your logs and seeing many more PB’s posted as the years go on. If any of you need advice don’t hesitate to ask, as I said from the beginning if I don’t know I won’t answer but will do my best to point you in the right direction. Thanks to juke for asking me to help out & thanks for accepting me folks. Best of luck to the DCM 2019 mentor, happy running folks and as I say run well!!

What?
    You can't just resign! :eek: :mad: You think we have a clue yet?

Thanks B, you've been epic!

Thanks so much for your valuable advice and thoughts up to now, it's certainly helped me no end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks a million B! You're endlessly supportive and encouraging, both here and in the logs. It's appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thanks so much OOnegative. Your advice and guidance won't be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks for the advice OOnegative! Hope everyone is getting on well with their training! I've been very lazy the last month, but just bk from a holiday so planning on taking on a base plan before building for DCM..... eeeek!

So, does anyone know when we might expect to find out who's next in line to the throne? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So, does anyone know when we might expect to find out who's next in line to the throne? :D

I went out this morning (2k time trial) and thought 'this is definitely mentored novice weather...'

Hi folks........

Would be interested to hear from any of the 2017 Grads who went on to use the Base plan/10k-Half marathon/Intermediate marathon plans and how they managed the timing of these in the run up their follow-up DCM.

I am about to commence week 10 of the 10k-Half marathon plan and all being well, I will be done by 26th May. I would then do the 6 week Base plan before starting the Intermediate plan.
    There will be still two weeks to go to DCM by the time I am scheduled to complete the Intermediate plan so I'm I'm guessing it would be better to time it in such a way that the end of the Intermediate plan takes me right up to DCM?
    Any advice as to how these two weeks should be managed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hi folks........

Would be interested to hear from any of the 2017 Grads who went on to use the Base plan/10k-Half marathon/Intermediate marathon plans and how they managed the timing of these in the run up their follow-up DCM.

I am about to commence week 10 of the 10k-Half marathon plan and all being well, I will be done by 26th May. I would then do the 6 week Base plan before starting the Intermediate plan.
    There will be still two weeks to go to DCM by the time I am scheduled to complete the Intermediate plan so I'm I'm guessing it would be better to time it in such a way that the end of the Intermediate plan takes me right up to DCM?

I worked it out that I'll start the 14 week DCM intermediate plan on the week of July 22nd, in order to take me right up to DCM, so that's your starting point.

Do you have a target race at the end of the 10k/Half plan? If so, then a weeks recovery after that, then the 6-week base plan, and an off-plan do-what-you-want-week after the base plan to take you to the start of the DCM plan? Or just pad the base plan out to a 7th week with a race in the middle of it?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I worked it out that I'll start the 14 week DCM intermediate plan on the week of July 22nd, in order to take me right up to DCM, so that's your starting point.

Do you have a target race at the end of the 10k/Half plan? If so, then a weeks recovery after that, then the 6-week base plan, and an off-plan do-what-you-want-week after the base plan to take you to the start of the DCM plan? Or just pad the base plan out to a 7th week with a race in the middle of it?

I love it when a plan comes together!

Hi folks........

Well K I followed the plans from January to October. Target the marathon plan to take you right up to DCM as A suggested. I would strongly suggest a race at the end of the half plan you are doing. I say this for 2 reasons. 1) You may need to change training paces 2) a race will encourage a little bit of recovery time which is very important

I would find a race on the weekend of the 26th of May. After that I would do two weeks of easy only running before then doing base and intermediate plans.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well K I followed the plans from January to October. Target the marathon plan to take you right up to DCM as A suggested. I would strongly suggest a race at the end of the half plan you are doing. I say this for 2 reasons. 1) You may need to change training paces 2) a race will encourage a little bit of recovery time which is very important

I would find a race on the weekend of the 26th of May. After that I would do two weeks of easy only running before then doing base and intermediate plans.

Thanks S.
    Yeah, that certainly sounds like a wise approach. I was saving the training paces question for another day but you've just answered it for me!! :D

There's the Windmill Run (10k) on 26th May which looks like a well established event. Are you familiar with it at all?

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Thanks A. Am a lot clearer about it now. Have a race in mind (see response to S above) so will take that on once I'm done with the current training block and then recover followed by 6 week base plan/14 week training block/DCM.

It's all getting very exciting. :)

Advertisement